Ubuntu shipit closed?

Hi. I was wondering if theres anywhere I can get a free physical copy of a linux distro? I have a laptop with no OS on it and I really wanted to put Linux on it.

There is this: http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

You can use this to install almost any distro out there and you can install it native or run it from the usb stick.

Ya I dont have a working pc at this time. I may just order a flash drive with linux on it.

That's why I was wondering if there was any places that offered a free physical copy. Save myself the 14 bucks haha

Well I'd mail you a burned copy, except I just realized I don't have an optical drive anymore, and it'd take weeks for it to get there. Hopefully you figure something out.

Go to your local newsagent and see if there's any computer magazines/getting started booklets that come with a Linux distro on DVD. That's how I started with Linux (back when I didn't have the internet).

I wouldn't recommend anything with GNOME 3 or KDE if you have a pre-Core 2 laptop/under 2GB RAM; hopefully a distro that uses a lighter-weight GUI is available (ie. LXDE [Lubuntu], Linux Mint).

The above will cost you about $10 AUD at least I expect; if a getting started guide is included, I think it's worth the cost.

EDIT: http://www.linuxformat.com/archives Not sure if directly booting off the disc included is possible though. If not, use this: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Hey guys thanks for all the input. I actually fixed it! I use drivedroid like seahorsepip suggested.. rooting wasn't hard. I just installed Ubuntu for the meantime. Gonna grab a usb stick and make a backup for future issues.

Thanks guys! :)

• Like 2

Hey guys thanks for all the input. I actually fixed it! I use drivedroid like seahorsepip suggested.. rooting wasn't hard. I just installed Ubuntu for the meantime. Gonna grab a usb stick and make a backup for future issues.

Thanks guys! :)

How did you root your phone without a pc?Did you use a exploit apk or such?

How did you root your phone without a pc?Did you use a exploit apk or such?

I used Towelroot for my s4. Quite an easy process! and yeah it's a apk roots most phones. towelroot.com

I used Towelroot for my s4. Quite an easy process! and yeah it's a apk roots most phones. towelroot.com

Great, it seems geohot was behind this exploit, I remember him from the famous ps3 exploit ^^

• Like 1

Great, it seems geohot was behind this exploit, I remember him from the famous ps3 exploit ^^

Haha. :)