cpufreq hates me

I haven't exactly used linux in forever. I installed cpufreqs and the indicator keeps on telling me that it's in "performace" mode on my laptop, i'll set it to on demand mode and it will just set right back to performance.

I'm running Ubuntu 14.10 (i know it's frowned upon)... now here's what it says when i enter cpufreq-info

john@john-Lenovo-3000-G530:~$ cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 008: cpufreq-info © Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
Report errors and bugs to cpufreq@vger.kernel.org, please.
analyzing CPU 0:
  driver: acpi-cpufreq
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
  maximum transition latency: 10.0 us.
  hardware limits: 1000 MHz - 2.17 GHz
  available frequency steps: 2.17 GHz, 1.67 GHz, 1.33 GHz, 1000 MHz
  available cpufreq governors: conservative, ondemand, userspace, powersave, performance
  current policy: frequency should be within 2.17 GHz and 2.17 GHz.
                  The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 2.17 GHz.
  cpufreq stats: 2.17 GHz:85.40%, 1.67 GHz:14.60%, 1.33 GHz:0.00%, 1000 MHz:0.00%  (142)
analyzing CPU 1:
  driver: acpi-cpufreq
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 1
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 1
  maximum transition latency: 10.0 us.
  hardware limits: 1000 MHz - 2.17 GHz
  available frequency steps: 2.17 GHz, 1.67 GHz, 1.33 GHz, 1000 MHz
  available cpufreq governors: conservative, ondemand, userspace, powersave, performance
  current policy: frequency should be within 2.17 GHz and 2.17 GHz.
                  The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 2.17 GHz.
  cpufreq stats: 2.17 GHz:85.39%, 1.67 GHz:14.61%, 1.33 GHz:0.00%, 1000 MHz:0.00%  (156)

Not sure exactly what i should do.

It works ok here on 14.04 x64. Try installing it on a on a Linux live environment?

As root? You mean sudo etc etc? Yeah I have. Its wacky. I've tried google searching a solution and I havent had much luck

Its almost like it thinks its a desktop pc lol. But I had laptop mode tools installed before I installed cpufreq but it told me I needed TLP not laptop-mode-tools

the cpufreqd-deamon overrides any setting you do in other apps, whether in cpufreq-cli or in Unity-applet. The easiest solution I found while browsing the Ubuntu documentation was to edit /etc/cpufreqd.conf and first add a profile called On Demand as follows:

[Profile]
name=On Demand
minfreq=10%
maxfreq=100%
policy=ondemand
[/Profile]

Then you need to scroll down past #basic states, and choose the new On Demand profile as the profile for all the Basic states.

The current problem is that cpufreqd polls acpi for AC state, notices that the AC is connected, and then sets the cpu governor to performance, because that is what is set in the basic rules in the config file. It couldn't care less that you have selected another governor either by command line or by the scaling applet in Unity.

Remember to run

sudo service cpufreqd restart

after editing the config file.

• Like 1

the cpufreqd-deamon overrides any setting you do in other apps, whether in cpufreq-cli or in Unity-applet. The easiest solution I found while browsing the Ubuntu documentation was to edit /etc/cpufreqd.conf and first add a profile called On Demand as follows:

[Profile]
name=On Demand
minfreq=10%
maxfreq=100%
policy=ondemand
[/Profile]

Then you need to scroll down past #basic states, and choose the new On Demand profile as the profile for all the Basic states.

The current problem is that cpufreqd polls acpi for AC state, notices that the AC is connected, and then sets the cpu governor to performance, because that is what is set in the basic rules in the config file. It couldn't care less that you have selected another governor either by command line or by the scaling applet in Unity.

Remember to run

sudo service cpufreqd restart

after editing the config file.

You are right. I believe i found the root of the problem.

##
# Basic states
##
# when AC use performance mode
[Rule]
name=AC Rule
ac=on                    # (on/off)
profile=Performance High
[/Rule]