New business laptop / Ultrabook

Hi fellow Neowinians,

I am looking for a new business ultrabook. I currently have a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga i7. I don't use the "tablet" mode at all. I am looking for a lighter/slimer laptop with better resolution/definition.

The ideal one would be a MacBook air alike (I don't want OS X, and don't want to dual boot windows on it). Basicly I need :

about 12-13'' screen, at least full hd

intel core i7 4th gen or better

8 Gigs of RAM

SSD (256 GB is way enough)

backlit keyboard

ultra-portable 

(if possible, but really not a must, a gfx card instead of the standard intel graphics)

business grade computer and maybe business grade support

Price is not a problem.

I need it "now" but I can wait until september if "something" is comming in the next few month (newer chips or lower prices)...

Thanks a lot for any suggestion you may have.

Greetings :-)

I'll throw in for my Thinkpad T440s. I was picking between this and the X1 Carbon and the X240. FHD on a 12.5" is too small I think and the X1 Carbon's keyboard was a negative for me.

So yeah, that's my suggestion. :)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am definitely interested in the (new) X1 Carbon. I am actually in France, and it doesn't seem to be available just yet... I guess I'll wait a bit until september.

Does any one knows if a "5th" gen iCore is comming "soon" ?

Thanks a lot ! 

Regards

Not exactly 5th gen but maybe 4.5? Broadwell is supposed to be announced later this year or maybe at CES which is why the new Thinkpads are getting held up as well. It wont be a full refresh however as some CPUs (M = Mobile) ones wont see a Broadwell core. The U for UltraLow Voltage ones will be targeted for that release.

Not sure about new Desktop CPUs in that codename either.

They (Lenovo.fr) have the Carbon Gen 1 there which I sorta think is the better deal besides the new fangled CPUs for longer battery life.

I'll throw in for my Thinkpad T440s. I was picking between this and the X1 Carbon and the X240. FHD on a 12.5" is too small I think and the X1 Carbon's keyboard was a negative for me.

So yeah, that's my suggestion. :)

Gotta love the T4xx series. We are now using refurbished T410 for our field riggers. ?270 for an i5 processor in the much more robust chassis and still with a 12 month warranty. I'm still using my T400 and its still quick enough for me (just).

I am thinking about replacing it with a X230 though as I am doing more and more travelling on the trains to our london office plus I cycle to work so my T400 with its 9 cell battery is a little heavy!

So my thoughts are T440 if the size is ok but if you want a little smaller then X240.

The T440s is smaller than the T410/T400s though. I was shocked how much smaller It is seeing that it's a "14.1" LCD also. The move to 16:9 lowered the height and depth of the machine but it's still serviceable.

Someone sent me this: T420 vs T440s

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3015.jpg

Since you mentioned 12-13" though then yeah the X240 would be right up your alley.

Maybe the Samsung ATIV 9 Series also?

Next to the T440 - that T400 looks like a T60!

Thats a nice pic for comparison

I am still a fan of those, the X1 is the 1st laptop I have owned that wasnt a T-series.

The T440s is smaller than the T410/T400s though. I was shocked how much smaller It is seeing that it's a "14.1" LCD also. The move to 16:9 lowered the height and depth of the machine but it's still serviceable.

Someone sent me this: T420 vs T440s

***Pics snipped***

Since you mentioned 12-13" though then yeah the X240 would be right up your alley.

Maybe the Samsung ATIV 9 Series also?

Hell, now I want a T440 even more!!! I wont take a pic of my T400 with its long life battery, lets just say it looks like a boy racers spoiler sticking out the back of my laptop.