Photo

Optimizing my Windows 7 Ultimate rig to start faster.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HeLGeN-X

HeLGeN-X

Neowinian

Posted 20 July 2014 - 23:41

Hey all, long time no see.

I've had my rig with the same W7U install for the past 5 years. I know that's a little too long to have an install, but I have so many important files that would take forever to reinstall and even find in some cases (mostly VSTs for producing audio with strange file names.)

I know the standard procedures to take like msconfig disabling start up apps, service disabling, defragmenting ETC, but I feel there's more steps I could take.

My HD now is 2tb, I have more than enough space right now. I just feel my PC isn't performing as fast as it should. I have a second installation of Windows 8 which runs exactly at the speed, but let's face it, Windows 8 is a mess. I don't like it's interface, but it's performance is 5 times faster than my Windows 7 install.

What else could I do to make my W7 faster in terms of start up and general usage? 

Thanks in advance.

#2 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 20 July 2014 - 23:46

Best thing you can do is get an SSD for the OS part of the setup and keep your data on the 2TB

#3 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 20 July 2014 - 23:50

Without buying hardware, the best option is a format and reinstall... I know it's not what you'd like to hear, but it's Windows. It gets messy!

I'm overdue to do mine :/

#4 zeke009

zeke009

yeap...

• Phone: Lumia 920 (AT&T)

Posted 20 July 2014 - 23:57

Xendrome's recommendation is what I was going to say. Grab an SSD and use your 2TB for storage.

You could tinker and tweak all you want, but an SSD will blow any and all tweaks out of the water.

#5 Earthworm_Jim

Earthworm_Jim

GROOVY_!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 July 2014 - 23:57

My HD now is 2tb, I have more than enough space right now. I just feel my PC isn't performing as fast as it should. I have a second installation of Windows 8 which runs exactly at the speed, but let's face it, Windows 8 is a mess. I don't like it's interface, but it's performance is 5 times faster than my Windows 7 install.

Not sure what to suggest for windows 7, but you are right about Windows 8.      I delayed getting it for a very long time, and finally, 2 month about I replaced my windows 7 slowed down install with 8..

Not it is almost like instant boot. After I press a button, I get to keyboard and entering a password.  Actually entering a password takes longer then the boot! Only thing that takes a few extra seconds is my antivirus

I hated Windows 8 until I intalled classic shell, and configured it to my liking (about 30 minutes to look at ALL possible options and get used to it)

Now I love it. It looks even better then Win 7 - it is faster also.  LOVE IT.          I wish I knew about classic shell, and that I was not sooo lazy to delay the upgrade for so long.

PS.    YOUR BOOT DRIVE NEEDS TO BE SSD.      It is a must!  Even if you get the smallest size one, get it!   Install your programs on your 2tb drive if you want, but windows needs SSD -  it is magical.

I cannot stand to see the boot times on my parents PC that has windows 7, but a 8 year old HDD!

#6 Bigkaye

Bigkaye

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 July 2014 - 23:58

Honestly Windows 8 performs much better than 7 on the same hardware. I know a few folks who bought it to make their vista laptops preform better. And they do. The OS is was a mess to use, but since they reintroduced the start button and gave the boot to desktop option, theres little difference between the two.

That said, I don't think theres much you can do aside from getting a blazing fast network to store an image of that 2TB drive on, and use a VM to run it on a quick SSD. 

If you are going to take suggestions in this forum, buy another 2TB drive and image your install to it. Back it up somehow, and make sure you know how to use the backup. You WILL hate yourself if you don't and windows 7 cuts its own neck from a rogue tweak you enabled and won't boot any longer.

#7 OP HeLGeN-X

HeLGeN-X

Neowinian

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:30

Thanks for the replies. Oddly about Windows 8, there's a major problem I have with it. On some software, the resolution is strange, like somewhat blurry. I have no idea how to fix it, and it kind of bothers me.

#8 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:31

Thanks for the replies. Oddly about Windows 8, there's a major problem I have with it. On some software, the resolution is strange, like somewhat blurry. I have no idea how to fix it, and it kind of bothers me.

Updated video drivers.

#9 +LightEco

LightEco

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:48

HeLGeN-X, on 20 Jul 2014 - 20:30, said:

Check your scaling options - Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display

You may have it set higher than 100% or it might be using autoscaling (turn off by checking "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays")