Photo

OS X Yosemite has convinced me, has it convinced you?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 Kermie

Kermie

Neowinian

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:55

Nice job Apple, you've successfully convinced me to dump my PC and switch to a Mac, I mean that experience; it's so amazing.

How many of you have been convinced to switch because of Yosemite. They even manage to do the minimalistic interface better than Windows 8.

#2 trogenda

trogenda

Neowinian

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:02

There are still missing essential features in OS X. For example, you can not rename multiple files at once as in Windows. I dumbed my PC as well but I miss some everyday features.

#3 jaffers

jaffers

Neowinian

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:03

Although Yosemite is a pleasure to use and the UI is very clean and beautiful. I shall still use the ugly Windows 8 because of the application I am using for years. But I also use OS x since mountain Lion. Hence Yosemite is obviously, in. 

#4 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:04

I was convinced a long time ago, and made the switch about 18 months ago to a Hackintosh, and then swapped to a MacBook Air. Haven't regretted it a bit, and the fact since then new versions of OSX have just been coming out 'for free' is a bonus.. though to be honest they're so good I'd happily pay for them. 

Love it. Yosemite looks fantastic - really like the new UI changes they're making so can't wait to try it out. 

#5 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:06

There are still missing essential features in OS X. For example, you can not rename multiple files at once as in Windows. I dumbed my PC as well but I miss some everyday features.

What? Batch renaming is built into Yosemite since DP2

#6 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:19

Hmm, never knew they added batch rename to Finder. That's cool.

#7 Bamsebjørn

Bamsebjørn

Neowinian Teddy Bear

• Phone: Sony Xperia Tipo

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:20

For example, you can not rename multiple files at once as in Windows.

Wow, just tried it... didn't know that. :-) Thanks!

#8 trogenda

trogenda

Neowinian

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:34

What? Batch renaming is built into Yosemite since DP2

Does that work just as in Windows?

#9 richardsim7

richardsim7

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:36

I use a windows desktop and a mac laptop, couldn't be happier :)

#10 InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:53

I use a windows desktop and a mac laptop, couldn't be happier :)

Same here, best of both worlds :)

#11 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

in linux i trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:26

has it convinced me? no, not really. i had now the chance to use nearly anything, a pc with windows, a smartphone with apples ios, a smartphone with several different androids, a tablet with android, ubuntu, a pc with so many linux variants i cant even remember them all, an imac which was a very impressive device ... to look at :ike:

i mean, i get it if you are a beginner or have a job where you have your money and just want a nice gadget at home, most people go with an imac but thats it.

all in all, especially over the last 2 years, i just dont wanna skip linux anymore, especially kde. if anyone remembers the times with windows 95 and 98 where you could achieve a lot with just hacking your .ini/inf files, registry infos, and whatever (no one complained there that it was too difficult), i today can do many things like this with linux, mostly even easier i just copy and paste some commands in the terminal and execute them.

using a mac is like feeling the good old steve jobs standing behind me shouting "you can't do this" it feels so limited.

#12 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:13

I am predominantly a Windows guy, always have been always will be. However, I've had a Mac since 2009 (my '09 Mac mini) and it's been a great little machine to tinker with. It came with Snow Leopard and been updating it to the latest version of OS X ever since. Yosemite is looking very nice, however, I am dubious it'll run (if at all) on my ancient Mac mini. OSX is definetly a good OS and it does alot of things very well but I don't feel it really is "superior" to Windows (nor do I feel Windows is superior to it either). They both have their strengths and weaknesses and personally I equally enjoy using both!

#13 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:17

They both have their strengths and weaknesses and personally I equally enjoy using both!

That is unacceptable. You have to pick a side or the whole computer market bubble will implode!

#14 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:20

Convinced me to pay thousands of dollars for hardware I can buy elsewhere for less? No.

#15 Bigkaye

Bigkaye

Neowinian

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:26

Convinced me to pay thousands of dollars for hardware I can buy elsewhere for less? No.

Apple has shown that controlling both the hardware and software has its benefits.