OS X Yosemite has convinced me, has it convinced you?

I'm curious what aspects of Yosemite you think look like Windows 8+. Granted, it does have a tendency towards a "flat" appearance, but that's about it. How Microsoft and Apple have implemented that appearance are entirely different. I honestly cannot understand how, even at first glance, one could confuse Yosemite for Win8. They look nothing alike.

And that flatness is, in fact, a big criticism of Yosemite - especially from longer-time OS X users.

Flatness makes a ton of sense for any UI that will be used on portable hardware.  That is, in fact, the reason for the flatness iOS has had since 6.  As much as some users don't want to admit it, portable hardware is a major part of the user base of both OS X and Windows - and has been for years.  (I'm not referring to tablets, phablets, OR smartphones - I'm referring strictly to laptops and notebooks.  Non-flat UIs suck down energy like cold water in July gets sucked down at family reunions and battery life on portable hardware, while better, is far from ideal, even on newer portable hardware.)

Why throw MacBooks under the bus?  There aren't exactly a ton of Mac Pros (the only Apple non-portable/non-iMac other than the mini) being sold - if I'm not mistaken, more MacBooks are sold than any other.

Flatness makes sense in both OSes for the same reason - growth in portable hardware.

I can't even get Yosemite to work on my 2013 Mac Mini... tried upgrading and it completely messed the OS up and won't let me log in now no mater what I do... tried to do a reinstall from the recovery boot and it tells me it can not continue and to contact apple support :huh: and yet Apple support tells me to do the same command + R boot and do recovery... hence how I got to calling them

It's a great version but what is with those ugly ass sounds.

Like when you install an app ..."Duunnk. ..what an unattractive sound.

Change it to "frog" for a week, it will lower your expectations for the other sounds ;)

I can't even get Yosemite to work on my 2013 Mac Mini... tried upgrading and it completely messed the OS up and won't let me log in now no mater what I do... tried to do a reinstall from the recovery boot and it tells me it can not continue and to contact apple support :huh: and yet Apple support tells me to do the same command + R boot and do recovery... hence how I got to calling them

2012 Mac Mini?

Change it to "frog" for a week, it will lower your expectations for the other sounds ;)

It does amaze me Apple has been using the same type of sounds since I first used a Mac LC2 (Which I think as OS 6?) Eeep Donk Quack....

2012 Mac Mini?

I bought it in 2013 from Apple, that's what I mean.. Mini MD387LL/A Mavericks, i5

It does amaze me Apple has been using the same type of sounds since I first used a Mac LC2 (Which I think as OS 6?) Eeep Donk Quack....

I bought it in 2013 from Apple, that's what I mean

Can you install Mavericks again?

I like it so far except that, sometimes, windowserver starts to experience a nasty memory leak. It's solved if I reduce the transparency. Will use it like this until 10.10.1 it's released, hoping this get's fixed.

apple's prices and hardware haven't convinced me. there's still no model that i could classify as a gamer and even if there were it would cost twice what the PC cost. i mean have you seen their new 5k displays? how freaking pointless is it? the industry hasn't even fully adopted 4k yet and at the distances you're looking at it would only cause motion sickness. also such high resolutions would really be considered anti-gaming since almost any GPU would struggle to display any detailed graphics at such a resolution... add on AA and other features and it's just done. Other than hipsters who treat mac like a status icon i still don't know who apple is marketing to.

apple's prices and hardware haven't convinced me. there's still no model that i could classify as a gamer and even if there were it would cost twice what the PC cost. i mean have you seen their new 5k displays? how freaking pointless is it? the industry hasn't even fully adopted 4k yet and at the distances you're looking at it would only cause motion sickness. also such high resolutions would really be considered anti-gaming since almost any GPU would struggle to display any detailed graphics at such a resolution... add on AA and other features and it's just done. Other than hipsters who treat mac like a status icon i still don't know who apple is marketing to.

So you don't see the benefit of having a single display to work with 4k video while having 1k^2 free for other windows and tools open? You don't see the benefit of working with high resolution photography at pixel level without having to lose sight of the rest of your image? Full display CAD mapping; full display research writing with enough space for all your sources; full display rendering; near 1:1 canvas replication for illustration, etc.

Why PC gamers think that everything has to cater to their needs and labels everything else a hipster?

Your first mistake was looking at Apple for gaming.

So you don't see the benefit of having a single display to work with 4k video while having 1k^2 free for other windows and tools open? You don't see the benefit of working with high resolution photography at pixel level without having to lose sight of the rest of your image? Full display CAD mapping; full display research writing with enough space for all your sources; full display rendering; near 1:1 canvas replication for illustration, etc.

Why PC gamers think that everything has to cater to their needs and labels everything else a hipster?

Seta-San is probably younger and doesn't realize people actually use computers in their professional field. I am a gamer, but I would love a 5k display (there is no such thing as too much resolution :P) just for productivity alone. Besides, Apple's hardware has come down in price significantly over the years. The Macbook Air, for example, is the cheapest Apple laptop you can get, and I can't think of any cheaper laptop that competes with it, that has an equally good CPU/GPU or the insane battery life or the excellent build quality or the portability. Sure you can find other Windows laptops around the same price, if not more, and you get less for your money. Apple also has big education discounts - great incentives from Best Buy too. 

Seta-San is probably younger and doesn't realize people actually use computers in their professional field. I am a gamer, but I would love a 5k display (there is no such thing as too much resolution :p) just for productivity alone. Besides, Apple's hardware has come down in price significantly over the years. The Macbook Air, for example, is the cheapest Apple laptop you can get, and I can't think of any cheaper laptop that competes with it, that has an equally good CPU/GPU or the insane battery life or the excellent build quality or the portability. Sure you can find other Windows laptops around the same price, if not more, and you get less for your money. Apple also has big education discounts - great incentives from Best Buy too. 

Apple's edu discounts are a 100 bucks while shaving off 10 or so bucks on some machine upgrades or accessories...I don't call that great lol.

You can find plenty of lower cost, more powerful machines that trump the Air, but what you won't do is: match the battery life (which has a lot to do with OS as well), the form factor, etc.  The only thing you might have trouble matching or beating is the PCIE SSD.

One annoyance is the new Spotlight which once a file is found won't let you right click and open with. There is an option at the bottom to "Show all in Finder" but then the document I was looking at as the top hit no longer appears in the list. 

Apple's edu discounts are a 100 bucks while shaving off 10 or so bucks on some machine upgrades or accessories...I don't call that great lol.

You can find plenty of lower cost, more powerful machines that trump the Air, but what you won't do is: match the battery life (which has a lot to do with OS as well), the form factor, etc.  The only thing you might have trouble matching or beating is the PCIE SSD.

Indeed their accessories/hardware upgrades are expensive. Unfortunately, components like SSD/RAM are not user-replaceable, so you better buy the right configuration for you - but many other manufacturers are doing this as well. 

Better a discount than no discount from many other manufacturers. We have a corporate account with Dell, and they are not competitively priced at all, hence why some of our staff can opt for Apple hardware. Eh, it's still tough to find hardware that is on par with the AIr for the same price - I hold to that. They won't have as good a iGPU or the PCIE-SSD, or the form factor, or the battery life, etc. Bestbuy at one point had the Air starting at  $750 w/ edu discount, and the Pro at $899 (but that was the older non-retina model with the HDD). They also don't come with touchscreens, but I don't really use the touchscreen on my Surface Pro 2 all that much, unless I'm writing. 

Indeed their accessories/hardware upgrades are expensive. Unfortunately, components like SSD/RAM are not user-replaceable, so you better buy the right configuration for you - but many other manufacturers are doing this as well. 

Better a discount than no discount from many other manufacturers. We have a corporate account with Dell, and they are not competitively priced at all, hence why some of our staff can opt for Apple hardware. Eh, it's still tough to find hardware that is on par with the AIr for the same price - I hold to that. They won't have as good a iGPU or the PCIE-SSD, or the form factor, or the battery life, etc. Bestbuy at one point had the Air starting at  $750 w/ edu discount, and the Pro at $899 (but that was the older non-retina model with the HDD). They also don't come with touchscreens, but I don't really use the touchscreen on my Surface Pro 2 all that much, unless I'm writing. 

Some companies will upgrade the hardware instead, and give you the same price.  I do like that.

IMO, Dell hasn't been competitive in many years.

Seta-San is probably younger and doesn't realize people actually use computers in their professional field. I am a gamer, but I would love a 5k display (there is no such thing as too much resolution :p) just for productivity alone. Besides, Apple's hardware has come down in price significantly over the years. The Macbook Air, for example, is the cheapest Apple laptop you can get, and I can't think of any cheaper laptop that competes with it, that has an equally good CPU/GPU or the insane battery life or the excellent build quality or the portability. Sure you can find other Windows laptops around the same price, if not more, and you get less for your money. Apple also has big education discounts - great incentives from Best Buy too. 

what good professional reason would you get a mac over a PC. Macs are obsolete after a couple years with no chance of installing the newest version. The hardware goes only from toy models to ultra professional... both of which are over priced. It's missing a whole middle tier of hardware... also, i'm totally in to my 30s.

what good professional reason would you get a mac over a PC. Macs are obsolete after a couple years with no chance of installing the newest version. The hardware goes only from toy models to ultra professional... both of which are over priced. It's missing a whole middle tier of hardware... also, i'm totally in to my 30s.

Obsolete, how?

Yosemite requirements go back at a minimum 5 years for Apple devices, and in some cases 7.  What you stated is entirely incorrect.

Just want one reason?  Sure.

Apple software development.

One annoyance is the new Spotlight which once a file is found won't let you right click and open with. There is an option at the bottom to "Show all in Finder" but then the document I was looking at as the top hit no longer appears in the list. 

CMD-Enter?

I like it so far except that, sometimes, windowserver starts to experience a nasty memory leak. It's solved if I reduce the transparency. Will use it like this until 10.10.1 it's released, hoping this get's fixed.

Haven't experienced that here - clean install or upgrade? what are your system specifications because it might be driver related.

CMD-Enter?

Thanks - takes me to the file but I'd like to be able to right click and select from Spotlight. But thanks for that tip :)

Obsolete, how?

Yosemite requirements go back at a minimum 5 years for Apple devices, and in some cases 7.  What you stated is entirely incorrect.

I have it running very well and for free on a late 2007 iMac. I tend to ignore people who spout rubbish like Macs being obsolete or expensive as they tend to know little of any subject.

Haven't experienced that here - clean install or upgrade? what are your system specifications because it might be driver related.

It's a latest model macbook air, but it's indeed an upgrade. Will try a clean install later this week.

Would be nice. I guess drag&drop works as well if you can bring the app icon into view.

Yes that works as well, been a good day for tips today :)