OS X Yosemite has convinced me, has it convinced you?

Can you install Mavericks again?

Not sure how to, I don't have reinstall media for it and now my recovery boot wants to reinstall Yosemite not mavericks it must of replaced the recovery partition when I upgraded..

Not sure how to, I don't have reinstall media for it and now my recovery boot wants to reinstall Yosemite not mavericks it must of replaced the recovery partition when I upgraded..

PM incoming.

Apple has shown that controlling both the hardware and software has its benefits. 

The only one it benefits is Apple because their overcharging you for their hardware, and you're trapped in their hardware food chain. Don't think I am a hater, I own an iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro, but I also am writing this post on a beautiful Dell XPS laptop with a touch screen on Windows 10 Preview. My Dell XPS laptop is just as good or better then many MACS out there today.

What I hate the most about Apple is the culture of self promoting security IGNORANCE. I don't know how many times I have heard users say "Macs don't get computer viruses", which is complete and utter nonsense. This ignorance is pervasive on the internet and it makes me somewhat disgusted with Mac users. That stupidity extends to the Apple stores where people pay $30 dollars for a freaking WHITE cable that costs Apple less then $1 to make. Ignorant consumers buy that crap because some of the Apple users (not all) are too ignorant to know any better, and Apple knows it.

As for their hardware, sure it's rock solid, but you don't believe for one second their controlling that hardware to benefit the consumer do you? Apple wants you to be part of their iZombie culture who will ignorantly wait in line to buy another piece of iCrap.

I won't be visiting another Apple Store any time soon, and I am proud of that fact.

I just installed yosemite on a partition on my macbook air....all i can say is EW.

going back to my mavericks install after playing around for 30minutes.

this flat and pastel colour craze is a fad and when we are all back to 3D and glossy I'll be much happier 

I don't know how many times I have heard users say "Macs don't get computer viruses", which is complete and utter nonsense.

Technically that is true, since most Mac "viruses" are in fact trojans.

Despite its name the recent iWorm was also a trojan rather than a worm.

I wonder how many Mac users that get infected have set Gatekeeper to allow all apps to run (instead of the default)?

Obsolete, how?

Yosemite requirements go back at a minimum 5 years for Apple devices, and in some cases 7.  What you stated is entirely incorrect.

Just want one reason?  Sure.

Apple software development.

A niche use - though a profitable one.  (Not-so-amusingly, iOS software development is more profitable than OS X software development - how is THAT exactly good for Apple as a whole?)

Installed it this weekend on a friend's MBP, believing i was going to regret i didn't get my self a MBP when looking for laptop. Nothing impressive and still more eager for Windows 10

Touch, for one.  (And notebooks - specifically MacBooks, and iMacs are, in fact, the logical place to start.)

Let's face facts - when it comes to hardware, exactly how much difference is there between a MacBook and a notebook running Windows aside from the OS?  Between iMacs and desktop AIOs (from HP or ASUS, to name just two brands)?

It's not as if Apple has any reason NOT to expand either to add touch support.

If Apple is REALLY serious about Macs, additional hardware models (and additional hardware-feature support) is a must-have.

Note that I am NOT asking Apple to get really wild and wooly and support legal Mac clones - instead, I am saying that the Mac HARDWARE base itself is artificially constrained, and that is a disservice to Apple itself AND their customers.

Notice that I didn't even say that OS X is to blame - the "hack" community proves every day that OS X can run on a LOT of hardware that Apple not only does not use, but hardware that Apple has NEVER used (AMD CPUs are actually the low-hanging fruit as an example).

The issue is not the software - but the artificially-constrained (by Apple itself) HARDWARE base.

Touch screens

Apple have repeatedly stated their position on this. WIMP for OS X, and touch for iOS. You may disagree with them, but to say that there is no reason NOT to add touch support to their computers, well, that's just being dense. It's bleedingly obvious that they're not going to bother adding touch screens if they don't want to support them in their software. Doing it well in software is a huge undertaking. Ask Microsoft.

Apple components not being that different from PCs

Sure. And your point is?

Additional misc hardware features

If Apple is really serious about Macs, they will keep doing what they've been doing: Offering their curated, opinionated take on what a computer should be. I've also done the hackintosh thing a few times, but I'm not entitled enough to think that Apple should add support hardware that they don't use in their computers. I wouldn't call it "artificially-constrained". I would call it "well, duh".

I think that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how Apple operates. This is a company that's made a video trumpeting the fact that there are a thousand nos for every yes. Marketing ######? Maybe. But you get the sense that they actually believe this, that it's in their culture.

If you take a step back from the round hole, you'll realise that it's a waste of energy to keep screaming at the square peg.

Touch, for one.  (And notebooks - specifically MacBooks, and iMacs are, in fact, the logical place to start.)

Let's face facts - when it comes to hardware, exactly how much difference is there between a MacBook and a notebook running Windows aside from the OS?  Between iMacs and desktop AIOs (from HP or ASUS, to name just two brands)?

It's not as if Apple has any reason NOT to expand either to add touch support.

If Apple is REALLY serious about Macs, additional hardware models (and additional hardware-feature support) is a must-have.

Note that I am NOT asking Apple to get really wild and wooly and support legal Mac clones - instead, I am saying that the Mac HARDWARE base itself is artificially constrained, and that is a disservice to Apple itself AND their customers.

Notice that I didn't even say that OS X is to blame - the "hack" community proves every day that OS X can run on a LOT of hardware that Apple not only does not use, but hardware that Apple has NEVER used (AMD CPUs are actually the low-hanging fruit as an example).

The issue is not the software - but the artificially-constrained (by Apple itself) HARDWARE base.

Touchscreen isn't really required for a macbook, because touchpads actually work seamlessly in OSX unlike in windows. (even basic stuff like two finger scrolling is super janky on every windows laptop I've used).

I'm alittle torn on the Mac Mini,  wasn't the previous model a 2.4 GHZ I5?  I can't remember,  for some reason I am thinking the base mac mini is a downgrade from the newer one. 

The only one I'd be interested in is the $699 model for more ram and bigger drive and graphics.

Although I am happy with my windows PC,  I sold my macbook pro over the summer. 

My friend who works at my local apple store says he can gift a discount on Imacs,  but not minis.  

Touch screens

Apple have repeatedly stated their position on this. WIMP for OS X, and touch for iOS. You may disagree with them, but to say that there is no reason NOT to add touch support to their computers, well, that's just being dense. It's bleedingly obvious that they're not going to bother adding touch screens if they don't want to support them in their software. Doing it well in software is a huge undertaking. Ask Microsoft.

There's another good reason why Apple and indeed a lot of manufacturers don't do them is because they are not conducive to getting anything done. Imagine how much your arm would hurt spending 8 hours a day touching a screen. 

The three we have, purchased by directors, are used as normal pc's and I don't think i've ever seen anybody touch the screen yet.

Very happy since I dumped M$, Yosemite is very nice indeed and with iOS 8.1 being released today I cannot wait.

I like the brighter and happier Yosemite interface.

I've looked back at the old one since the move and now that one strikes me at dull and mechanical.

Safari 8 is now also so fast... Wow. Much speed.

But I've preferred OS X ever since OS X Snow Leopard. Windows Vista made me lose faith in Microsoft and although it was restored with Windows 7, I had already moved, and I'm so happy with the decision now when looking at Windows 8 and even what Windows 10 is shaping out to become.

Here are the things I like most with OS X:

1. That it's a classic desktop. Apple have chosen to optimize it for what it is and the hardware it runs on, not to optimize it for what they want it to be. I can only applaud this bold, pragmatic move, since it can be seen as remaining in the past by some.

2. The strong *nix foundation. No operating system is stronger than the legs it is standing on. While people have waited for "The year of Linux on the desktop", I think they were waiting on the wrong bus stop. We already have a strong *nix desktop OS. I'm not saying Linux is bad, but I think it's the wrong tool for this job.

3. That Apple makes a profit from hardware, so they depend on neither OS sales profits (and can make it free), or having it tie into online services / branding, advertising, bundled software, and so on. I like how it's an operating system that just is.

4. The possibilities from designing both the software and hardware and optimizing them for each other. OS X has great energy efficiency, great high-DPI support, not the least from third party developers as well, and awesome touchpad + swipe & multitouch gestures.

What I *dis*like most is probably how little Apple is working towards making OS X a great gaming platform. The drivers are often lagging behind the Windows performance, and game developers are often relying on quick ports with much less soul poured into them, which also shows in benchmarks and performance.

• Like 2

It has convinced me. But I won't blow off money on new iMac just to get to use it for few minutes.

My iMac from 2011 runs it absolutely fine. But I bootcamp and use Windows 8.1 99% of time.

Running Yosemite on the latest 15" Macbook Pro! Great update, loving the clean interface and the integration with iPhone, etc... I also have Windows running via Parallels but I have decided to completely do away with MS Office and use the alternatives by iWork. I don't think I will be using any of the Windows software unless I'm doing some .NET programming. FYI, Parallels IS THE BEST for running Windows on a Mac! VMWare was ok but Parallels took it to a whole new level! Either way I got both... no need for a debate :)

I can't even get Yosemite to work on my 2013 Mac Mini... tried upgrading and it completely messed the OS up and won't let me log in now no mater what I do... tried to do a reinstall from the recovery boot and it tells me it can not continue and to contact apple support :huh: and yet Apple support tells me to do the same command + R boot and do recovery... hence how I got to calling them

Ok, I just had this same problem on my 2012 Mac Mini. I had upgraded the stock RAM (4 GB) to a Crucial 16 GB kit, and it was running Mavericks just fine (it shipped w/ Mavericks). I tried to upgrade to Yosemite today, and it kept failing stating that it couldn't extract essentials.pkg, and was stuck in a reboot loop. I was ready to clean install since I don't really use this machine very much, but someone suggested trying to swap out the Crucial RAM back to the stock RAM. Lo and behold, I did that and the install worked just fine. Once I did the upgrade, I popped in the Crucial RAM, and all is well.

All I can say is WTF.

what good professional reason would you get a mac over a PC. Macs are obsolete after a couple years with no chance of installing the newest version. The hardware goes only from toy models to ultra professional... both of which are over priced. It's missing a whole middle tier of hardware... also, i'm totally in to my 30s.

30, and yet I see no strong reasons from you, just opinions... 

I should point out that anything over 4GB or RAM is more than enough for OS X. Apple makes both the Hardware and Software and with this they have amazing optimization and integration of the two. Not sure why people complain about the default amount of RAM that you get, if you are not going to do heavy processing on you computer then there is really no reason why the default configurations isn't good enough.

Touchscreen isn't really required for a macbook, because touchpads actually work seamlessly in OSX unlike in windows. (even basic stuff like two finger scrolling is super janky on every windows laptop I've used).

I have, in fact, whacked Windows (up to 8.1) for this - the Technical Preview has fixed this issue (to the point that I no longer need a mouse for my notebook, which runs said Technical Preview as sole OS).

However, Apple's hardware is still far less expansive than it could be.