What is the single change that that has had the greatest effect on your life?

taking a drug i knew nothing about, then 24 hours later jumping out

a 3rd floor window landing on pavement and breaking my back

i am now a parapeligic

this happened in 1980

life live and learn

NOTHING will change you as a person more than having children, till then most changes are small, even getting married doesn't really change much for people, but have a kid and suddenly everything changes

Realizing that I was being reactive to what life brought me, instead of being proactive - reacting to changes forced on me by factors outside my control and not taking control of my life and going in a direction I wanted to go.  If I had not made that change, I would be far worse off than I am now.

NOTHING will change you as a person more than having children, till then most changes are small...

Oof, that's a bit harsh. While having children has a considerable effect on people, let's not belittle the other changes in people's lives. Not even looking at all of the replies, many people have had things that have changed them for the better without it being children.

Having children is a huge change, but until that happens to someone, and within the confines of the question, there are still huge changes that can affect people without the need of having kids.

Oof, that's a bit harsh. While having children has a considerable effect on people, let's not belittle the other changes in people's lives. Not even looking at all of the replies, many people have had things that have changed them for the better without it being children.

Having children is a huge change, but until that happens to someone, and within the confines of the question, there are still huge changes that can affect people without the need of having kids.

Thank you. Took the words from my mouth.

Going to church on Christmas eve last year because I had nothing else to do.  Resulted in me getting baptized & confirmed earlier this year.  

Probably the death of my grandmother in 2000 which turned my life into utter **** up until a few years ago.