Photo

Jimquisition: The Poison of Pre-Order Culture

jimquisition the escapist alien: isolation the creative assembly sega pc ps4 ps3 xbox one xbox 360

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 36,130 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 13:03

Video: http://www.escapistm...e-Order-Culture

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• 24,988 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 13:40

That ending :laugh:

But seriously, there are so many dynamics to this problem it's not easy to solve. I haven't pre-ordered games for years and even when I did it was because it was a deal you'd otherwise lose at launch. Those days are gone sadly, at least for now as RRPs are higher than ever, but if you can lock a price down I'd take it.

I think most of the hardcore crowd cottoned on to the "DLC" thing very quickly and didn't bite. Devs and pubs announced the content would come later for everyone, so what was the point in pre-ordering again..Usually the content isn't worth the trouble either. Gun skins or character skins are about as exciting as it gets :/

Playing Devil's Advocate here I can see why Gamestop would want to be part of a game's development to create pre-order content, if you can create incentive for gamers to buy new instead of 2nd hand, you're helping the devs/pubs in return. It's an unrealistc goal though. You're never going to make DLC that matches the mark up profit for a 2nd hand title.

As Jim said, unless you're buying something with a limited print/availability, or IMO getting a price that would otherwise not be the norm, screw pre-orders :yes:

#3 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

• 5,437 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 19:26

That ending :laugh:

But seriously, there are so many dynamics to this problem it's not easy to solve. I haven't pre-ordered games for years and even when I did it was because it was a deal you'd otherwise lose at launch. Those days are gone sadly, at least for now as RRPs are higher than ever, but if you can lock a price down I'd take it.

I think most of the hardcore crowd cottoned on to the "DLC" thing very quickly and didn't bite. Devs and pubs announced the content would come later for everyone, so what was the point in pre-ordering again..Usually the content isn't worth the trouble either. Gun skins or character skins are about as exciting as it gets :/

Playing Devil's Advocate here I can see why Gamestop would want to be part of a game's development to create pre-order content, if you can create incentive for gamers to buy new instead of 2nd hand, you're helping the devs/pubs in return. It's an unrealistc goal though. You're never going to make DLC that matches the mark up profit for a 2nd hand title.

As Jim said, unless you're buying something with a limited print/availability, or IMO getting a price that would otherwise not be the norm, screw pre-orders :yes:

Best pre order bonus I've seen in a while came from bf3/bf4. Both games provided a map pack for free. Granted, I got premium, but for those who don't get premium, 4 maps for the same price as the base game is nice.

#4 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,846 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 15:02

Holding the most important character as pre-order DLC?! who on earth thought that was a good idea lol... I hope this game bombs like colonial marines.