So within the past few months, I've really not been liking Gmail. It's very clear to me now that they no longer have me (the customer) in mind, but their own pocket book and agenda.
So I'm looking for a new email...but I'm kinda going back and forth with myself which one to choose.
Here's some of the problems I have:
- Google - Profiles individuals, collects data like they're postage stamps
- Microsoft - Ties me to a platform, Outlook account deleted after a year of inactivity (What if I die or I get in a legal mess? My family doesn't know how to get accounts and data from it) , more than likely also profiles you and your data.
- Apple iCloud - Ties me to an expensive platform. Not really supported outside of Apple Products
- Yahoo - Might as well buy a stone tablet and chisel words into it.
- AOL - LOL! They are still around?
- Buying a domain and rolling my own - I do one thing wrong. ONE. My domain is blacklisted as a spam address...or worse....plus...my family does not know how to maintain the server or get data from it in case of emergency.
- The little guys - Fastmail, Countermail, etc. They can disappear tomorrow like lavabit. Not a very good longterm solution.
I can't just "pick a platform and go with it". I use OS X, I use Windows, Linux, etc. I just want a neutral and stable platform that's going to be around for a while.
I'm really thinking Google is my only option here. Am I boned?