• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:01

Since you have an irrational paranoia to a free service mining keywords to show you ads the only real option is to run your own mail server on your own domain, NO free service will ever give 100% "privacy" or "anonymity" 

#17 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 23 July 2014 - 21:16

Even if you use a hosted email service, if you're capable of using your own domain that is obviously the way to go. This way it decouples your email address from the actual email service that you use. Got problems with Google? Change your MX records and move to Microsoft. Same email address, completely transparent to all your contacts.

#18 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 23 July 2014 - 21:36

Even if you use a hosted email service, if you're capable of using your own domain that is obviously the way to go. This way it decouples your email address from the actual email service that you use. Got problems with Google? Change your MX records and move to Microsoft. Same email address, completely transparent to all your contacts.

Exactly what i was going to say, probably the best advice you will get.

#19 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 23 July 2014 - 21:45

For a paid service I've been enjoying fastmail.fm. Not very expensive (40 dollars a year for the enhanced account), some of the best IMAP service I've used, and the web interface is also very clean and fast. Its also got CalDav with Carddav coming in the near future for calendar/contacts sync. Plenty of advanced features and options as well.

#20 Obry

Obry

Intaxity.com

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 23 July 2014 - 21:47

I use Outlook as well. Was a Google user but have grown to personally hate them as a company. I use Office 365 for work and Outlook for personal email. Never had a problem with either and they work just fine on iOS, OS X and Android. You can either use the native apps or the Outlook app available for all platforms which is actually quite nice. I don't think Microsoft profiles you that much as you say they do - Google - more likely but I still don't think it is as extreme.

#21 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 WP8.1U1 Black

Posted 23 July 2014 - 21:58

I really like https://www.openmailbox.org

#22 +Kyle

Kyle

aka Kyle

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 25 July 2014 - 17:52

I use Google Apps. I have a few of my customers on it and it works well. I managed to snag a free account when they had them back in 09. It works extremely well and if they want to read my grandmother's "am I on the bank website right now?" emails then I don't really care.

If you care that much about privacy look for a Swiss server, roll your own and leave the details for emergency access in your will. 

#23 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 25 July 2014 - 18:11

Try outlook for a while. If not satisfied, switch back to gmail. Those are the only 2 best email service providers.

#24 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 25 July 2014 - 18:27

I don't know what it is about Outlook.com's 2 factor authentication setup,  just really don't like it.

I recently helped someone sign into a Microsoft account on their Windows 8 machine. She used her existing live email account the one she had setup in mail. Upon signing into it for a Microsoft account on 8 it asked her to verify her account using an email address on file that she no longer had. It was quiet the pain the ass to say the least.

So we had to create a gmail account and use that to authentication the account which then would take 30 days before she could add another authentication method 2 her account.

I don't know what it is about gmail that makes everything just feels simpler.

What doesn't make any sense, is that Microsoft was forcing us to verify the account. But then at the same time accepted a email address we just created to verify the account and also put in a request to change the security info.

Sure it asked us every time we logged in if we were the ones that did that, but what if someone got your user name and password and you didn't log into your account for 30 days. They could have also done this.