40 posts in this topic

Here's a surprising effect of the latest U.S. sanctions against Russia: a run on AK-47s.

Among the companies sanctioned this week was Kalashnikov Concern, the maker of the automatic weapon.

"We sell some of the Kalashnikov Concern stuff and that has been selling fast," said Robert Keller, manager of K-Var Corp., a Las Vegas-based online gun distributor.

Keller said his company has been sold out of the guns since the sanctions went into effect. On K-Var's web site, AK-47s are listed as "out of stock."

According to the Treasury Department, Kalashnikov Concern is banned from importing its guns -- including the AK-47 and more advanced AK-74 -- into the United States. But, in a statement posted on its Web site, Treasury said Americans are allowed to own, buy and sell the guns, so long as they were already in the U.S. prior to the sanctions.

Keller said he is scrambling to acquire more Kalashnikov guns from U.S. distributors. He also said he still selling many weapons similar to the AK-47, such as the SAM7 brand of Bulgarian-made rifles.

Original article: http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/18/news/companies/ak-47-kalashnikov/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

VIA: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-07-21/ak-47-sales-soar-after-us-sanctions-kalashnikov-imports

They'll just switch to Chinese or other AK's for the duration. Glad I got my Saiga 12 before this started.

1 person likes this

yeah, Russian will export'em to China & the Chinese will re-export it to USA

No, The sanctions take into account parts sourcing. Not a problem though as the AK is manufactured in so many places the only real issue is.end quality.

Oh hey, they're banning the import of AK's, well I guess I don't actually need or have a use for one but I sure as hell want one despite of that, who knows, what if someone enters my home and I need to shoot them dead with a rifle. Or maybe I can take it to a gun club and show it off or I could take it hunting instead of a hunting rifle!

The only people who profit from this are the people selling the guns and people who own 7 guns, i.e. collectors.

I'm guessing the US thinks this will help to damage the Russian economy?

1 person likes this

Oh hey, they're banning the import of AK's, well I guess I don't actually need or have a use for one but I sure as hell want one despite of that, who knows, what if someone enters my home and I need to shoot them dead with a rifle. Or maybe I can take it to a gun club and show it off or I could take it hunting instead of a hunting rifle!

The only people who profit from this are the people selling the guns and people who own 7 guns, i.e. collectors.

What in the world does your post have to do with this topic?  If you want to get all butt-hurt and cry about guns or gun control and how we should all be defenseless little pacifists, there's a topic for that.

Big Gun Control Debate: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1144670-big-gun-control-debate/

To respond to the one part of your reply that is relevant, yes, these are economic sanctions being levied against Russia for annexing Crimea, and for its part in the Ukrainian civil war, although I'm sure Obama was oh so sad to have to do it, lol.

AKs manufactured in other countries are still perfectly legal to buy and sell.  In fact, I was looking at a Chinese made one the other day that looked pretty well made.  I don't have a need for one, but I still like to check them out when I go into a gun store now and then.  I don't see things calming down any time soon, so we all may just have to get used to buying non-Russian made ammo and firearms.  Doesn't directly affect me since I have an American made AR-15 and refuse to put steel cased ammo through it, but because of this I think AK enthusiasts may see price gouging like what many AR-15 owners saw immediately after Sandy Hook when everybody was afraid of them becoming illegal.  Even the guys at flea markets were selling *used* Colt AR-15s for $1,800+ in the months following that.  Knocking out a huge source of quality built AK variants will likely make AKs as a whole much more expensive.

Edit: Now that I think about it, that Chinese made one was only $500.  Wouldn't be a bad idea to buy 5 or 6 of them up, wait for prices to inflate, and then make a few bucks, :P  Would be nice if I had the money to afford a few, but since my only paychecks during the summer are from the VA, scrap metal hauling, and Google, I'm kind of stuck at home until I go back to work next month.  No splurging for me, :P

What in the world does your post have to do with this topic?  If you want to get all butt-hurt and cry about guns or gun control and how we should all be defenseless little pacifists, there's a topic for that.

Big Gun Control Debate: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1144670-big-gun-control-debate/

To respond to the one part of your reply that is relevant, yes, these are economic sanctions being levied against Russia for annexing Crimea, and for its part in the Ukrainian civil war, although I'm sure Obama was oh so sad to have to do it, lol.

AKs manufactured in other countries are still perfectly legal to buy and sell.  In fact, I was looking at a Chinese made one the other day that looked pretty well made.  I don't have a need for one, but I still like to check them out when I go into a gun store now and then.  I don't see things calming down any time soon, so we all may just have to get used to buying non-Russian made ammo and firearms.  Doesn't directly affect me since I have an American made AR-15 and refuse to put steel cased ammo through it, but because of this I think AK enthusiasts may see price gouging like what many AR-15 owners saw immediately after Sandy Hook when everybody was afraid of them becoming illegal.  Even the guys at flea markets were selling *used* Colt AR-15s for $1,800+ in the months following that.  Knocking out a huge source of quality built AK variants will likely make AKs as a whole much more expensive.

Edit: Now that I think about it, that Chinese made one was only $500.  Wouldn't be a bad idea to buy 5 or 6 of them up, wait for prices to inflate, and then make a few bucks, :p  Would be nice if I had the money to afford a few, but since my only paychecks during the summer are from the VA, scrap metal hauling, and Google, I'm kind of stuck at home until I go back to work next month.  No splurging for me, :p

Of course it's on topic, it's a simple mental exercise of trying to understand what one would or could do if you bought an AK, I'd love to own one, but it'd end up being an empty shell on a wall plaque for decoration purposes, since I have no actual legitimate reason to have an AK, no bears where I live you see! :p Well unless you're talking about hairy Bigfoot type characters! :rofl:

You're definitely right about them becoming more expensive though but I'm not sure banning the import of Russian made Kalishnikov's will do much to dent the Russian economy, seems like simple posturing to me, maybe I'm wrong.

I like Obama but I'm guessing you don't! :p

1 person likes this

Or you could buy 4 and sling them over your shoulder and take a trip to Target.  :D  :shifty:

I do own a Romanian AK, I just use it on an approved range. I own it for the fun of shooting it not for home defence, hunting or overthrowing governments.

1 person likes this

AK's are popular among hunters, especially those who hunt deer in swampy conditions. Reason being it was designed to.be buried in mud, shaken and fired - which they are very good at. Regular hunting arms would jam.

As for its power, no. It's cartridge is actually less powerful than many deer hunting rounds, and less accurate because of its loose tolerances. It's the AK actions extreme conditions reliability hunters love.

So yes, it has a legitimate role and the ones sold are semi-automatics like many other hunting rifles, not the full auto military versions. You need to go through a special procedure and govt anal exam to get those, and very few do.

1 person likes this

Lil wayne talks about having one on his night stand.. 

Probably because of Samuel L Jackson's famous line in Jackie Brown. He'd probably be better off with a 12 gauge.

"AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every m**********r in the room"

1 person likes this

You shrink supply of any gun, demand FOR that gun goes up, merely due to "collector value" - hasn't that been the case with anything that isn't edible?

In short, it's not either surprising OR news.

AK's are popular among hunters, especially those who hunt deer in swampy conditions. Reason being it was designed to.be buried in mud, shaken and fired - which they are very good at. Regular hunting arms would jam.

As for its power, no. It's cartridge is actually less powerful than many deer hunting rounds, and less accurate because of its loose tolerances. It's the AK actions extreme conditions reliability hunters love.

So yes, it has a legitimate role and the ones sold are semi-automatics like many other hunting rifles, not the full auto military versions. You need to go through a special procedure and govt anal exam to get those, and very few do.

Mine is semi-auto, 7.62 x .39 I wasn't disparaging hunters or hunting with it. I just love to shoot! I've fired many many rounds through it. Many brands including re-loads,cheap russian (Tul I think) and only had maybe 3 out of 10,000 jam on me.

You shrink supply of any gun, demand FOR that gun goes up, merely due to "collector value" - hasn't that been the case with anything that isn't edible?

In short, it's not either surprising OR news.

Oh common.... please.... tell me when this has ever happened before...... *eats a twinkie*

Edit: Now that I think about it, that Chinese made one was only $500.  Wouldn't be a bad idea to buy 5 or 6 of them up, wait for prices to inflate, and then make a few bucks, :p  Would be nice if I had the money to afford a few, but since my only paychecks during the summer are from the VA, scrap metal hauling, and Google, I'm kind of stuck at home until I go back to work next month.  No splurging for me, :p

Not JUST the Chinese; the Finns (Sako, to be precise) make one of the more popular (especially in North America) fully-legitimate AK-47 clones - they also make one of the few AK-47 clones ALSO sold within Russia itself.

In a rather bemusing twist to the "Coals to Newcastle - Armaments Division" sales of AKs to Russia, it is no less than the US arm of Italian firearms maker Beretta that acts as Sako's distributor.

Mine is semi-auto, 7.62 x .39 I wasn't disparaging hunters or hunting with it. I just love to shoot! I've fired many many rounds through it. Many brands including re-loads,cheap russian (Tul I think) and only had maybe 3 out of 10,000 jam on me.

The caliber is JUST different enough from NATO's 7.62mm x40 to avoid infringing on Winchester's patents - 7.62 NATO = .308 Winchester (which preceded 5.56mm as the NATO long-gun caliber); this was the caliber of the M-14/M-1 Garand of WW II and Korean conflict vintage.  There are both legit Kalshnikovs AND clones in the NATO caliber; however, they are decidedly rare.

Oh common.... please.... tell me when this has ever happened before...... *eats a twinkie*

M1 Garand (30-06) re-importation ban, Chinese made SKS importation ban etc.

More common than you think.

DocM, I pointed out that this sort of thing is commonplace, and not just with imported ANYTHING - explain the seriously-silly pricing over certain US-made coinage (Morgan dollar coinage, for example, or even specific examples of the CURRENT "Lincoln" one-cent coin).  Low supply results in hoardage/collectage, period.

It's even been the case with that (literal) shipload of Legos that have been washing up on Cornwall (beach), UK, for nearly two decades.

I didn't realise any Chinese AKs were still being imported. I thought that the importation of Chinese rifles was ended by the Clinton administartion.

Time to sell mine.     

hehe Doc, I was making a joke about people jacking up prices.. with the twinkie example the whole omg no more ever again must buy all now stuff people do..

Patriotism.

hehe Doc, I was making a joke about people jacking up prices.. with the twinkie example the whole omg no more ever again must buy all now stuff people do..

Yep.  Went to the local flea market during the whole scare after Newtown and I didn't intend on buying any guns, but I picked up an Colt AR-15 a guy had.  It was obviously used, had some dings in the plastic on the stock, some dust and dirt here and there, the dust cover had some of the finish knocked off.  It was in good shape, but was pretty obvious it was used.  I asked the guy what he wanted, just out of curiosity, and without missing a beat he shot me a big smile and said, "Never been fired!  Only $1,800!"

I only paid $900 for mine brand spanking new at a legit gun store, in the box with a plastic carrying case.  People will rob you blind if they can, and those who wait until something happens to buy something usually suffer for it because they're stuck paying whatever people ask.

Man I really wanted an ak-74 I have not seen one locally ever and I have been looking O well Just about paid off my new sks anyway

Man I really wanted an ak-74 I have not seen one locally ever and I have been looking O well Just about paid off my new sks anyway

They shoot the 5.45x39mm don't they?  I believe that round has actually been banned by executive order of King Obama because somebody made a handgun that fires that round.

Yep, confirmed that the steel core 5.45x39 ammo has been banned from import.  I don't know if other companies produce 5.45x39 that is NOT steel core.  If they're willing to ban that cartridge though, makes you wonder why they don't ban other rounds that have a steel core like the 5.56mm NATO green tips.  Anyway, here's some info on the ban on imported 5.45x39.

http://www.thebangswitch.com/import-ban-on-7n6-5-45x39/

Edit: Here's the ammo I generally use in my AR-15.  Gives me pretty consistent accuracy, has VERY clean brass compared to some other brands I've seen with no dings or dents in the casings, and the steel core, while not technically armor piercing, gives it a bit more penetration than a standard lead round, not to mention that the rain runoff from the range won't harm wildlife with lead poisoning.

http://pmcammo.com/wp/product/x-tac-5-56k-2