10 replies to this topic

#1 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:08

You might remember my old thread: http://www.neowin.ne...#entry596482259

But here, I'm asking a totally different question.

Providers, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Boost, Virginmobile... The list goes on, doesn't it?

What I am looking for a better phone than my HTC One V (Virginmobile). Sure, I can get a better phone at Virgin, a iPhone 5S/5c, or a HTC Desire, or a Samsung Galaxy S5. But these are pricey little britches.

But are these other no-contract companies, as T-Mobile, Boostmobile, Cricket, or even ATT and Verizon any better?

I'm sure I can get a unclocked phone for cheaper than T-Mobile and get a SD-Card. But after I had a heck of a time canceling my mobile hotspot service, I'm shying away from T-Mobile now. Had to call 3 times and was hung up on 2 calls... :s

I tried to look at other providers, see what they have to offer, I get nowhere. Yeah, some had unlimited, some had 2gb data, some had unlimited up to 500mb then at a lower rate. Just ay-yi-yi...

Can somebody give me some pointers here? All these reviews online are bogus...

#2 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:25

Why spend a fortune on a cell phone ?

I get along just fine with an inexpensive Samsung and Tracfone service. ;)

#3 Dead Clown

Dead Clown

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung galaxy s4 4G

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:32

Why spend a fortune on a cell phone ?

I get along just fine with an inexpensive Samsung and Tracfone service. ;)

fairly sure he wasn't after your personal opinion on his finances rather a post relating to the information he has provided

#4 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:36

Oh, he's just being "humbug" :laugh:

But to his question, what age are you from?

#5 Bigkaye

Bigkaye

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 July 2014 - 19:46

I have no idea what the question is. I'm reading it as whats the cheapest way to get a new handset and plan but the question is all over the map. 

Unsure about America, but in Canada we get a 2 year contract max now with a subsidized hardware (say $15 of monthly bill over $50 goes to HW cost, so $360 off out of contract price, you pay the difference) or you get a pay as you go plan, and the carrier offers you a 10% discount a month on said plan ($65 plan would be $6.50 off a month) if you bring your own hardware. Also tethering/hotspot is included with all data plans!

If you are in a contract you have to pay the hardware difference + $50 when you cancel, if you run your contract out then its paid off! If you bring your own hardware you can cancel no penalty with 30 days notice. With the 2 year contacts they can 'cancel' your plan when they expire though, so if you got 6GB data and 500 daytime minutes for $50, that isn't grandfathered into another 2 year term. We also have a national blacklist which ALL carriers are involved with, so you can buy a used phone and verify its not lost/stolen just using a website. If it is lost/stolen, its IMEI is shared with ALL carriers, so it will NEVER work on ANY Canadian carrier unless you can somehow change its IMEI. Even those with 'blanked' IMEIs (like the flip samsung SGH-M275S which can dial *#7337# and erase IMEI for a carrier unlock) will no longer work. On anything.

I really don't think this helps you at all, but it seems far less confusing than these American carrier options.

#6 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 22 July 2014 - 20:17

I'm looking at a prepaid phone. Yet still pay monthly. Which provider will get me the best deal? Phone as well as support/data.

IMHO, Boostmobile has a lot of options, but not many standardised phones. They have rebranded old phones.

#7 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:08

Go on eBay buy your self a used Galaxy S3 for a little over $120. Root it and install CM 11(4.4.4) on it.

Then activate it on verizon's new 4G prepaid service.

$65

Unlimited talk

Unlimited Text

and if you autopay 4GB of data.

#8 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:38

I currently pay $35, 400 talk minutes, unlimited text and data. I rarely talk on it.

My sister-in-law told me to stay away from Samsung, especially the Galaxy. Should I be worried, or is she just a HTC or Motorolla fan"girl"?

#9 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:45

I currently pay $35, 400 talk minutes, unlimited text and data. I rarely talk on it.

My sister-in-law told me to stay away from Samsung, especially the Galaxy. Should I be worried, or is she just a HTC or Motorolla fan"girl"?

She just hates Micro SD cards and removable batteries.

#10 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:01

Does the provider, ATT, Verizon, or Sprint matter? After I root it, I guess it won't matter.

This a good guide on installing CM? http://www.ibtimes.c...e-n9005-1456275

I never rooted a phone before, but should be simple, as I rooted my ASUS EeePad before with no problems. Youtube time! :laugh:

#11 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 July 2014 - 23:29

Bump.

Does the different versions of the Galaxy S3 matter anything?