How to secure password over the same LAN network

hi all,

I am in rented property and my landlord providing me the internet through both wired and wireless. my question is, whether he can able to install some software in his router and can he able access my usernames and passwords or my browsing history?

If thats true what can I can do for securing mu username and passwords in a LAN network?

Thanks

use Tor Browser ;)

That's probably actually Less secure, given that anyone could run a TOR exit node and sniff the traffic leaving it.

You'd probably be better off with a VPN than using TOR.

That's probably actually Less secure, given that anyone could run a TOR exit node and sniff the traffic leaving it.

You'd probably be better off with a VPN than using TOR.

Hi Dragon2611,

Thanks for your reply...but I am confused...I am in LAN network and I need to access the machine in that network only. If I am setting up VPN, still I need to access the same machine in the same LAN n/w. Still there is a possibility of the landlord to access my details right?

"I am in LAN network and I need to access the machine in that network only."

What machine? How did he provide you access? Do you have access to the router? And your plugging in multiple machine there - or do you have plugs in the wall your plugging into. And you have one machine connected in room A, and another room B and say third wireless?

To be honest I think your tinfoil hat is on a bit tight - what is keeping him from putting in a camera and watching you take a shower or having some fun in the bedroom, etc. Are you worried about that - or just him watching your internet access?

If you so worried - use your own router, so your behind a nat to his network. And have that router connect to vpn that is out on the internet.. Then he will not be able to sniff your local traffic nor see your internet traffic. But he might have a camera watching you change cloths so what you going to do about that? ;)

• Like 2

Depending on how this is setup, if it goes from building internet, to his router then to a switch then to your room were you have your own router. Then maybe put a spare router between your router and his router.

His router goes to the internet of the spare. Then out of port 1 of the spare into the internet of your main router

Then use a VPN out to the internet.

I can just hear budman in my head right now  "What an idiot!!! What a half ass way to do things!!" ... Love ya bud man!

Wouldn't that technically be a poor mans Vlan? Meaning the landlord could ping the spare router but not the main, or any computers behind the main.

If it his internet\router.. Then yes, he could sniff traffic..  Use a VPN service, and you would be good to go. IPVanish is good.. 

and, LOL at the Tor exit node.. TOR is designed to be comprised.. So, if an exit node was compromised, the data is still still chopped up in pieces AND encrypted.. 

I suggested the same thing warwagon ;) If he wants to isolate "his" network from the hosting network. Then easiest way is to run his own lan with his own router - why asked how he is connecting these other devices if using building wiring then it becomes more of an issue.

Still think this more of a tinfoil hat issue than actual security problem.

edit:

" So, if an exit node was compromised, the data is still still chopped up in pieces AND encrypted.."

And where did you get that bit of info? So how does it maintain encryption going to say www.neowin.net?

tor client -- tor --- torexit -(sniff)- internet -- www.neowin.net

I suggested the same thing warwagon ;) If he wants to isolate "his" network from the hosting network. Then easiest way is to run his own lan with his own router - why asked how he is connecting these other devices if using building wiring then it becomes more of an issue.

Still think this more of a tinfoil hat issue than actual security problem.

Well.. To be honest.. We have NO IDEA who owns this network.. If my neighborhood, offered me free internet.. I would ask questions about logging and what steps is he doing to protect privacy.. Also, it could be so poorly setup, and other people on the LAN could access his file shares and what not (assuming they are not passworded)

Which is part of the reason I asked how he is connecting. For all we know the router is in the OP closet?

Who said is was a complex with other users - could very well be a single family home rented out. While I agree if the network is not yours there could be security concern that need to be accounted for. With the complete lack of information I feel its jumping to conclusions that there is anything to worry about. Which was my point he could also have camera's all over the rental property.. For we know as the OP takes a dump its streamed live to watchBillytakeadump.com ;) Why is the OP not worried about that? ;)

• Like 3

I suggested the same thing warwagon ;) If he wants to isolate "his" network from the hosting network. Then easiest way is to run his own lan with his own router

Yes but I recommended using 2 routers.  ;)

With 1 router it would be on on a separate network but the other guy would still be able to ping and connect to the IP's on the other network. Granit he won't be able to do much if they are secure.

But if you add that second router to the mix then the 3rd router wouldn't be reach able.

Which is part of the reason I asked how he is connecting. For all we know the router is in the OP closet?

Who said is was a complex with other users - could very well be a single family home rented out. While I agree if the network is not yours there could be security concern that need to be accounted for. With the complete lack of information I feel its jumping to conclusions that there is anything to worry about. Which was my point he could also have camera's all over the rental property.. For we know as the OP takes a dump its streamed live to watchBillytakeadump.com ;) Why is the OP not worried about that? ;)

BoratPg23new.jpg

Take the basic precautions that you would take on any network. Ensure you have an updated firewall running with as few open ports as possible and ensure that sensitive data is transmitted over TLS or another secure channel.

A VPN really isn't helping you any. All you're doing is shifting the goal posts. Unencrypted traffic can be sniffed at any point between the origin and destination. A VPN would move the initial unencrypted point further down the chain, but the root issue still exists. The same with adding additional routers for multiple NAT layers. Unencrypted traffic is still visible on the wire once it exits your extra routers onto the common wire.

Using an alternative DNS, ensuring a basic firewall is on, and keeping sensitive traffic on a secure channel should be protection enough.

"With 1 router it would be on on a separate network but the other guy would still be able to ping and connect to the IP's on the other network."

What??

post-14624-0-80749500-1406112531.jpg

How does someone in the land lord network ping into yours? This is a NAT router, just like what you connect to the internet.. Are you saying people on internet can talk to your machines without a port forward or dmz setting? Think of the landlords network as just the internet.

There's nothing stopping you creating a Encrypted VPN tunnel between to machines on the same network if you are worried about the secuirty of the network between them.