Fedora 20?

Why not try different GUIs too? I personally prefer KDE (OpenSUSE/Kubuntu) and LXDE (Lubuntu) over GNOME 3 (Ubuntu default).

Ubuntu's main strength is with its package manager (software center), due to its ease of use and strong community support.

• Like 1

I fired up Debian, Can't run Gnome 3 in Vmware? I'll check out that mediaplayer macstar. I've tried KDE, LXDE, XFCE, I really like Gnome though.

I fired up Debian, Can't run Gnome 3 in Vmware? I'll check out that mediaplayer macstar. I've tried KDE, LXDE, XFCE, I really like Gnome though.

You can use Gnome Classic instead of Gnome 3. I think you need a powerful graphics card for Gnome 3.
  • Like 1

nah you dont will work fine as long as you dont have like 256meg ram lol

I fired up Debian, Can't run Gnome 3 in Vmware?

I have a couple VMWare VM's running Gnome 3 here with no issue, one's Ubuntu Gnome and one's OpenSUSE.  Just like any other, install, update, build guest additions, done. I haven't personally tried Debian & Gnome 3 in a VM but I've heard some people have had issues with 3D acceleration, keeps wanting to go into fallback mode. I've seen a couple guides about getting it going, haven't tried it myself so take it with a grain of salt, not sure if it even applies anymore, but perhaps this may give a clue:

http://slackadmin.blogspot.com/2013/09/how-to-have-debian-71-working-with-3d.html

Potential driver issues aside, it runs just fine in a VMWare VM, as long as you're not "choking" it like only giving it 256MB and running it on an old Athlon XP or something.

I've tried KDE, LXDE, XFCE, I really like Gnome though.

If I'm in a Gnome mood would rather use Mate or Cinnamon myself. Gnome 3 just irks me to no end every time I use it.. really dislike what they did with it, dumbed it down to the point of absurdity and just made some things needlessly less intuitive/streamlined. Just opinion of course, still prefer KDE for the "best in usability" aspect. If you're a "visual tweaker" it takes longer to get it just right as you've two GUI toolkits to match up (Qt and GTK) but the end results are (usually) quite good.
  • Like 1

Thanks for your input max. Can I download mate or cinnamon and run it with my current ubuntu install?