28 posts in this topic

Posted

US death row inmate Joseph Wood has died after an execution in Arizona took nearly two hours to kill him.

Wood, a double murderer, was executed by lethal injection.

His lawyers filed an appeal for an emergency stay of execution, after he had been "gasping and snorting for more than an hour" in the death chamber.

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer says she has ordered a full review of the execution, although she said that Wood "died in a lawful manner".  Wood's lawyers argued the extended execution process violated his right to be executed in the absence of cruel and unusual punishment.

But Ms Brewer said: "By eyewitness and medical accounts he did not suffer. This is in stark comparison to the gruesome, vicious suffering that he inflicted on his two victims, and the lifetime of suffering he has caused their family."

The execution should have taken 10 minutes, his lawyers said, but Wood, 55, gasped more than 600 times before he died.

It began at 13:52 (20:52 GMT), and Wood was pronounced dead at 15:49, one hour and 57 minutes later, according to the Arizona attorney-general's office.

He was convicted of the 1989 murders of his estranged girlfriend Debra Dietz and her father Eugene Dietz.

Family members of the victims were unconcerned by the way the execution was carried out.

"This man conducted a horrific murder and you guys are going, let's worry about the drugs,'' said Richard Brown.

"Why didn't they give him a bullet?"

Wood's lawyers had sought to force Arizona to name the manufacturers of the drugs used in the execution, but a last-ditch ruling by the US Supreme Court cleared the way for the execution to go ahead.

This latest case has brought the issue of how America executes its inmates on death row back into the spotlight, only a few months after a botched execution in Oklahoma.

The US constitution prohibits punishment which is "cruel and unusual". These cases, and the secrecy around the source of lethal injection drugs, will be cited by opponents as another reason to abolish capital punishment.

With more states failing to get hold of the chemicals, some are looking for alternatives. Earlier this month Tennessee introduced a law to bring back the electric chair, if there are no supplies of the drug. But this too is likely to be subject to legal challenges.

There might be an outcry over this latest execution, but the death penalty is still supported by many in the US, especially in southern states where most executions take place. Many argue it is a just punishment for those who have committed the most heinous of crimes.

In communications with Wood's lawyers this year, Arizona officials said they would use a two-drug combination of midazolam and hydromorphone to put him to death.

But they declined to provide further identifying information, including the name of the drug's manufacturer, citing a state confidentiality law aimed at protecting the drug makers from reprisal.

In 2010, the sole US manufacturer of sodium thiopental, a sedative used in lethal injections, stopped producing it. States switched to pentobarbital, also a sedative, but its Danish manufacturer Lundbeck began tightly restricting its distribution to prevent it being used in executions.

And in 2011, the UK imposed export bans on three common lethal injection drugs, pentobarbital, pancuronium bromide and potassium chloride. In the same year, the EU restricted the distribution of sodium thiopental to nations that practise capital punishment.

States have experimented with other drugs since.

In April, Oklahoma tried to inject Clayton Lockett with a dose of midazolam, but the executioners were unable to find a suitable vein, the injection failed, and the execution was halted. Lockett died of a heart attack moments later.

And in January in Ohio, Dennis McGuire appeared to gasp, snort and choke for 25 minutes after he was injected with a two-drug combination of midazolam and hydromorphone.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28457460

---------------

Is America simply just experimenting on it's criminals to see which drugs work best?  I thought the world stopping doing that over 50 years ago!

Perhaps it's time to stop killing criminals... after all, the person who gives the injection, are they not just a killer too?

Perhaps some Americans don't care as it's not in their backyard.

Posted

Wah. Boo Hoo.  What about the rights of those he murdered?  

1 person likes this

Posted

And in 2011, the UK imposed export bans on three common lethal injection drugs, pentobarbital, pancuronium bromide and potassium chloride. In the same year, the EU restricted the distribution of sodium thiopental to nations that practise capital punishment.

The case could he made that it's the UK and EU that are preventing theoretically more humane executions with their embargo <hands mirror>

Guess more states will just revert to the old tried and tries - electric chair, firing squads etc.

Posted

The case could he made that it's the UK and EU that are preventing theoretically more humane executions with their embargo <hands mirror>

Guess more states will just revert to the old tried and tries - electric chair, firing squads etc.

And it would be a completely invalid case.  Don't put our refusal to help you guys execute people back in our hands. Only YOU are responsible for what you choose to do to them.

Besides, why don't you guys just use the firing squad anyway?  It's guaranteed to be fast, it's considerably cheaper, and it isn't fraught with all the problems with lethal injection.  Or is it maybe just a little bit TOO personal for you?

1 person likes this

Posted

beheading is quick

Posted

Wah. Boo Hoo.  What about the rights of those he murdered?

I will answer when you can answer:

Does the person who murdered the murderer also lose their "rights"?

Killing someone who has killed someone else makes you as bad as the original killer... surely?

Posted

I don't understand where we use all these new drugs.. Don't get me wrong, we don't need a hanging or firing squad.. But syrettes of morphine were used to great effect in times of war.. Just give them that till their heart stops.. It's none of these crazy side-effects, it just works.

Posted

>
Besides, why don't you guys just use the firing squad anyway? It's guaranteed to be fast, it's considerably cheaper, and it isn't fraught with all the problems with lethal injection. Or is it maybe just a little bit TOO personal for you?

A few states are preparing to do exactly that. Others will.use the chair, hanging or lethal injection by other means. The gas chamber is another option.

Posted

Killing someone who has killed someone else makes you as bad as the original killer... surely?

Those who were murdered have no rights due to the fact that their right to live was taken.  eye for a eye.

Posted

A Death Sport would raise money and kill them at the same time, but alas, political correctness.

Posted

A Death Sport would raise money and kill them at the same time, but alas, political correctness.

The real life Running Man.

Posted

I've said it before in other topics and I'll say it again.  "If" you're gonna execute a violent criminal who cannot ever be put back into society, it would be both cheaper and more effective to just shoot them in the back of the skull.  Instant destruction of the brain and brain stem at the cost one bullet.  Instead people are freakin' experimenting on them with all these different drug cocktails they're cooking up after the European drug companies stopped selling the ingredients necessary to do lethal injection properly.  I think stories like this shouldn't necessarily spark a discussion about whether or not you believe in the death penalty, I think we should be discussing how to do it humanely.  Right now it's the law of the land here, and no amount of arguing is going to change that, but I mean COME ON, there's humane ways to do everything.  If I can shoot a moving deer at 100 yards with iron sights and have it dead with 10 seconds of the shot, one single shot, then there should be ways to be as effective if not more-so against criminals we deem worthy of execution.  There's absolutely no excuse for these prolonged executions except political correctness, laziness, and drug companies getting involved in the process.

Posted

Those who were murdered have no rights due to the fact that their right to live was taken.  eye for a eye.

The problem is 1 in 25 people on death row are actually innocent. I'd sure hate to be the "1", although I'm sure some of you big talkers on here would find a 4% mistake rate more than acceptable.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/28/death-penalty-study-4-percent-defendants-innocent

Posted

beheading is quick

Indeed. Outsource to Saudi Arabia. They are the US's "allies", after all.

Posted

The problem is 1 in 25 people on death row are actually innocent. I'd sure hate to be the "1", although I'm sure some of you big talkers on here would find a 4% mistake rate more than acceptable.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/28/death-penalty-study-4-percent-defendants-innocent

I support the death penalty, but I'm of the mindset that the means by which people end up on death row and get to their point of execution needs to be revised.

1) Execution should only be an option in cases where there are a minimum of 3 credible eye witnesses (Uninvolved bystanders who don't know the perp or the victim for example), video footage or photographs of the accused committing the crime, or in cases where the accused openly and readily admit to committing the crime.  Anything else leaves room for reasonable doubt.

2) The accused should be afforded the opportunity to clear their name, even if all points in my first bullet are true.  However, taking 10 years to get from sentencing to dead is completely ridiculous.  At that rate you might as well just give them life in prison because we currently spend more money getting people to the point of execution than it would cost to just put them in a cell and give them food, clothing, and medical care for the rest of their natural life.  The appeals process needs to be streamlined so that people who can be exonerated are released more quickly so they can get back to living their lives, and people who cannot be exonerated are executed as soon as possible in a manner that is as cheap but effective as is reasonably possible.  The problem here is that lawyers have figured out that the longer they drag cases out, the more money they make, so they're effectively using prison inmates to game the system and get rich.

3) Methods of execution should be quick and effective.  Inflicting death can almost never be completely painless, but there's no need to prolong it.  Reference my post a little further up this page for my suggestion.

Posted

Oh no! A double murderer dies a horrible death. What a shame!  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

3 people like this

Posted

That's just "feel-good" logic to make one feel better. If you release the murderer, then they will do it again. No punishments for murder. If you keep them in prison for life, you are wasting money (Never mind the fact that death penalty by injection is ridiculously expensive). 

There are cases where the person was found innocent afterward, but not many in the grand scheme.

Firing squad spends like $0.50 per round x number of firing squad people x salary of them. I'd have no problem pulling the trigger ONLY if the evidence was not refutable, proving the crime was committed without a doubt. I would never kill an innocent person, nor would I support the life of a person who takes the lives of innocents.

Someday, mankind will be above killing each other and great progress will be achieved in every aspect of humanity.

Posted

And it would be a completely invalid case.  Don't put our refusal to help you guys execute people back in our hands. Only YOU are responsible for what you choose to do to them.

Besides, why don't you guys just use the firing squad anyway?  It's guaranteed to be fast, it's considerably cheaper, and it isn't fraught with all the problems with lethal injection.  Or is it maybe just a little bit TOO personal for you?

150mg oxycodone, euphoric happy death by respiratory depression.

Posted

150mg oxycodone, euphoric happy death by respiratory depression.

Another option, that has been shared in other threads.  Deprive them of oxygen while filling the room with another gas, so they get the physical sensation of breathing while slowly approaching unconsciousness and death, without them ever realizing it.

http://youtu.be/nGgQw4yljQ4

1 person likes this

Posted

Put them on an nitrous oxide / oxygen mix, then after they're in happy land start subbing carbon monoxide for the oxygen.

No punctures necessary, which is part of the problem with lethal injection - a lot of them are druggies whose veins are shot. It's either difficult to find a vein or the puncture goes sour and the drugs go subcutaneous (leak out under the skin.)

Posted

Put them on an nitrous oxide / oxygen mix, then after they're in happy land start subbing carbon monoxide for the oxygen.

No punctures necessary, which is part of the problem with lethal injection - a lot of them are druggies whose veins are shot. It's either difficult to find a vein or the puncture goes sour and the drugs go subcutaneous (leak out under the skin.)

That sounds less expensive.

Posted

bring back the firing squad. One man and a shotgun the prisoner kneels the shotgun is placed against the back of the head and the trigger is pulled boom game over fast and painless and at $0.10 per shell it save a butt load of money 

Posted

Have mercy on the janitor! A 9mm wadcutter would make less of a mess.

Posted

The "State" isn't a person.

Posted

And executioners have criminal and civil immunity.