Microsoft's most boneheaded product is about to be killed off

Continues...

Microsoft's most boneheaded product is about to be killed off

"Microsoft is about to take the ax to one of the stupidest products it ever created."

Wow. This is the "stupidest" article I have ever read.

Serioiusly? How did this make it to CNN?

I agree with the article.... with the exception of Microsoft BOB.

I had a Windows RT tablet (The VivoTab RT). It sucked, it had very few applications which made it an expensive paper weight that I could draw on if I was bored.

I also couldn't browse several dozen websites because of the exclusion of Flash. I don't care who thinks that Flash player sucks, it is part of thousands of website and sometimes crucially integrated (such as the police department recruitment page I was looking at... or trying to look at).

I agree with the article.... with the exception of Microsoft BOB.

I had a Windows RT tablet (The VivoTab RT). It sucked, it had very few applications which made it an expensive paper weight that I could draw on if I was bored.

I also couldn't browse several dozen websites because of the exclusion of Flash. I don't care who thinks that Flash player sucks, it is part of thousands of website and sometimes crucially integrated (such as the police department recruitment page I was looking at... or trying to look at).

Then you wouldnt enjoy an ipad, or any newer android tablet running jb+ because flash is not officially supported; seems like you are best off with an x86 tablet. The RT system wasn't designed for a user like yourself. RT's biggest problem was marketing and marketing it towards the right demographic. Apple hasnt had any issues with their iPads, which are essentially the same idea as RT, not a fully blown system. RT was great for people who like to browse the web, use office and play games from the market. If you expected any more than that, well I am not sure what else to say.

Then you wouldnt enjoy an ipad, or any newer android tablet running jb+ because flash is not officially supported; seems like you are best off with an x86 tablet. The RT system wasn't designed for a user like yourself. RT's biggest problem was marketing and marketing it towards the right demographic. Apple hasnt had any issues with their iPads, which are essentially the same idea as RT, not a fully blown system. RT was great for people who like to browse the web, use office and play games from the market. If you expected any more than that, well I am not sure what else to say.

That is why I do not own a tablet. Tablets are a disappointment in complete. But at least the Android and iPad have a great selection of quality apps, unlike Windows RT. I expected to be able to install some Windows applications with Windows RT. I don't see a world where anybody except a fanboy would want to use RT on a daily basis, because it sucks as a whole. I know from personal experience, and have enjoyed the iPad and Samsung Tab 3 a thousand times more than RT. I was hoping that it would have been useful, but boy was I wrong.

The only thing I liked was the paint app.

That is why I do not own a tablet. Tablets are a disappointment in complete. But at least the Android and iPad have a great selection of quality apps, unlike Windows RT. I expected to be able to install some Windows applications with Windows RT. I don't see a world where anybody except a fanboy would want to use RT on a daily basis, because it sucks as a whole. I know from personal experience, and have enjoyed the iPad and Samsung Tab 3 a thousand times more than RT. I was hoping that it would have been useful, but boy was I wrong.

The only thing I liked was the paint app.

why would you expect windows apps to run on rt? uninformed before the purchase? i know plenty of friends who have the RT and are far from RT fanboys, they use office and browse the web for fantasy sports. I fail to see how you cannot use RT on a daily basis unless you expect to use specific windows applications.

why would you expect windows apps to run on rt? u

Because its called "windows", because it looks like "windows", because it comes with "windows" programs likel word, excel etc, because it's made by Microsoft.

the question you should ask is why wouldn't you expect "windows" apps to run on it. No wonder people were disillusioned with it, and Microsoft had to write down $900m

• Like 2

Because its called "windows", because it looks like "windows", because it comes with "windows" programs likel word, excel etc, because it's made by Microsoft.

the question you should ask is why wouldn't you expect "windows" apps to run on it. No wonder people were disillusioned with it, and Microsoft had to write down $900m

I think this is the point that user warwagon was trying to make earlier.

Even Microsoft's Julie Larson-Green stated that they could have done better when it came to promoting the device / operating system. She even went as far as stating that it should not have been marketed under the Windows brand.

Sure. So Windows RT, I think there's clearly, when you look out in the industry, there's clearly a need for a simplified consumer electronics experience on devices. So you look at iPad in particular, and it's a turnkey, closed system. It doesn't degrade over time. It doesn't get viruses. It's not as flexible, you can't do as much with it, but it's a more seamless experience, even though more simplified.

. . .

So the goal was to deliver two kinds of experiences into the market, the full power of your Windows PC, and the simplicity of a tablet experience that can also be productive. That was the goal. Maybe not enough -- I think we didn't explain that super-well. I think we didn't differentiate the devices well enough. They looked similar. Using them is similar. It just didn't do everything that you expected Windows to do. So there's been a lot of talk about it should have been a rebranding. We should not have called it Windows. How should we have made it more differentiated? I think over time you'll see us continue to differentiate it more.

The main problem with the article isn't that it's unprofessional, or that the author doesn't understand RT, or anything like that. The main problem is that the author just assumes that RT is dead and went ahead and wrote an article one it... even though it's absolutely false.

RT isn't dead. It's just going to be merged with Windows Phone. Microsoft doesn't want to have two different Windows operating systems for ARM. They want one for everything with a UI that adapts to the form factor, that is simply recompiled to get the ARM version for ARM tablets and phones.

What I meant by feeling is that it's a guess and there I have no data to back it up with. My prediction is that mobile gaming is a fad and you will see it decline.

Although there is SOME data such as iPad sales and tablets in general have seen a slight decline.

The decline IS slight - however, Android and RT-based tablet upticks have made up for it.  Net overall effect - none.

dvb2000 - That is EXACTLY why I discount that sort of opinionated wishcraft.  Yes - I DID use that word; how do you think that mainframe programmers and operators throughout the 1970s felt when IBM, of all companies, introduced the first IBM Personal Computer?  (I have an aunt and cousin that started in IT as mainframe operators, and later became mainframe programmers.  While I started off as a clerk-typist/secretary, I would become a mainframe operator myself - in 1987.  While the screens were still largely either green OR amber, all three of us saw the writing on the wall, and all of us would move into, and onto, PC-based work before retiring (in my aunt's case and mine, due to different medical disabilities.)  Did the dinosaura see their own extinction coming?  (All signs to date point to NO.)  PCs were my original backup plan when I saw the writing on the wall viz. mainframes, and tablets and smartphones are the backup plan if and when PCs become moribund and irrelevant.  Change is the only constant - that makes having a backup plan mandatory - not merely recommended.