Amazon reports $126m quarterly loss

I guess it's easier over in the UK because almost everything get's the same amount of tax, but it surprises me that sales tax isn't included in the listed price.

The problem with the internet in the USA is every state has it's own sales tax or none... and even in the same state say Pennsylvania where I am, the whole state has 6% set as the sales tax, UNLESS you are in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh Metro area) or in Philadelphia, they have 7% sales tax to fund stadium building.....

now with the internet, even if you are charged no tax, you STILL have to pay it to the state at the end of the year on your state tax returns as a local use tax.. anything bought out of state you have to pay state sales taxes on... most people don't seem to understand this and think the internet is sales tax free... until they are audited....

so every year you have to figure out what you bought and how much tax you owe now, and good luck if you didn't keep all the receipts...... even ebay purchases are taxable

• Like 1

Let me preface my comments by stating Amazon is one of my all-time favorite companies and they are my primary one-stop shopping experience.  That being said, I think the Fire phone might shoehorn it's way into a respectable spot one day, only if Amazon is willing to keep dumping money to support it. At some point their investors will start to demand profits. As a result, Amazon will have to raise prices, which in turn will mitigate their low cost leader status to some degree. The product I don't get is Fire TV. Amazon prime as an app is already on every device imaginable. Voice search is neat, but typing stuff in a Roku/PS3/PS4/Xbox360 or using voice search Xbox 1 isn't that much of a soul killing experience that I NEED a Fire TV. If Amazon had kept their streaming exclusive, or semi-exclusive, the Fire phone and Fire TV might have sold better. Hoping Amazon turns these around and continues to be successful.

I did not misread 'free shipping on orders over $35.'

One time my order was over 100.

I clicked off on FREE shipping.

I was charged anyway.

Had to complain to get back the shipping charge.

I recently placed another, over 35 dollar order.

I made sure to check the final screen, then cancelled, since there were more shipping charges.

Constantly pester about Amazon Prime.

They are way desperate.

Probably a weak economy keep people from buying extra goodies.

And I have noticed, Amazon does not always have the best price.

There are often times when Amazon is out of stock and the item you're looking to buy is instead being sold by a non-amazon seller. This is probably what you're experiencing. And of course Amazon doesn't always have the best price. It's retail, there's not one place to go that has the best price on everything!

My state also charges tax for amazon now, so if it's something that's hundreds of dollars, I'm generally going to try to find it elsewhere too.

I still think they TOTOALLY screwed up on their phone.

They should have practically gave the phone away or least made a little profit on them. Not sell them unsubsidized for $600

You are putting your Ecosystem in peoples hands.

Agreed.  When they first announced they were getting into phones, I fully expected them to sell for $99 or something, just to get a chunk of the market and be a serious player.  Selling an untested, new model of phone that no one is comfortable with yet for as much as a new model iPhone is not trying to take the market by storm.