Spotify + My Music Library

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:26

Is there a way to add my own music library to Spotify and be able to listen to it while on Spotify Mobile?

I was riding my motorcycle home one day and was thinking if there was an app that can scan your music library and find the same music on Spotify and make a playlist for it.

#2 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:32

According to this forum post it seems that it is - or at least, was - possible to do so. Lifehacker has a more up to date article that might help you. (Y)

#3 OP Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:40

Thank you, I was able to add my music folder. I don't understand why they recommend using dropbox.

#4 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:54

You can drag-drop music files into Spotify where it syncs to all of your devices.

#5 OP Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:54

You can drag-drop music files into Spotify where it syncs to all of your devices.

Under "Your Music"?

#6 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 25 July 2014 - 13:01

I don't know if this helps, but I've had success using my own music by creating playlists.

• Synchronise your local music with the desktop application. If your music isn't in one of the usual places (iTunes, "My Music" folder, etc), you'll need to "Add source..." via your Spotify preferences  (CTRL+P).
  • Create a playlist on your PC, the playlist can include local music and/or Spotify tracks.
  • Link your Spotify Mobile app to Spotify Desktop
    • On iOS, you can do this by connecting your iPhone to the network your PC is on (i.e. over WiFi), or by connecting your iPhone to your PC via USB
    • On Android, you'll need to use WiFi.
  • Open the Spotify app on your mobile device. Once you do this, wait a few seconds and your phone should appear under "Devices" in the Spotify desktop application (left side, near the top). Spotify_devices.PNG
  • Once your device appears, you will be able to see a list of all your playlists.
  • Find the playlist that contains your local music, and make it available offline. Spotify will then sync your local tracks onto your mobile device.

As far as I'm aware, you can't directly sync your local MP3s onto your Spotify mobile app, you have to do it through the desktop app. I could be wrong though.

Hope this helps :)

#7 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 25 July 2014 - 13:15

Under "Your Music"?

Your Music or local music, I know it used to be Local Music but I moreso use it on my devices now rather than my PC.

#8 max22

max22

Neowinian

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:03

I dislike Spotify.