Chrome 64 bit browser (now in Stable channel)

Mozilla just sucks and so does their codebase, really.

Care to explain why?

My issues with Mozilla are the same issues I have with chrome/chromium. No separate browser engine shared library, desktop integration shared library and browser front-end.

Does Chrome try to take over your computer ? I don't want to be Google-fied.

No more so than any other browser. Possibly the biggest complaint some may have is the updater service/scheduled task and you can disable that via group policy or a registry edit, otherwise *shrug* it's a browser, uninstalls painlessly etc.

Been running 64bit Chrome for weeks now and can't honestly tell the difference.

Same, feels more or less the same speed as far as I'm noticing, but otherwise it's been working just fine. I don't expect a recompile into 64 bit to automagically make something faster anyway, usually doesn't work that way. Sometimes it actually winds up slower, for example I've yet to find a 64 bit build of Firefox that runs faster than the vanilla x86 on my system, go figure.

Care to explain why?

My issues with Mozilla are the same issues I have with chrome/chromium. No separate browser engine shared library, desktop integration shared library and browser front-end.

No, not really. I spent way too much time on their bugtracker and IRC that I'm never getting back. It's basicly because of how Mozilla works, too many freelancers and nonpaid-coders that only do work whenever they want to, also student projects that never get finished and lay around bitrotting until they get used and then need to be re-done. Also their way of handling decisions concerning code/codingstyle, bugs and everything else is just *too* democratic, takes ages till they decide on something, then start mockupping, then maybe coding if all stars align, but in the meantime 12 freelance guys already created their own code for it so they have a big discussion, rewrite everything, then wait 2 months because coder x and y are just MIA and so on. Google just wins because they throw money at everything, man power and UX statistics, testing bots/suits etc. Paid workers (in a good environment) just do better and faster work, that's why Mozilla can never catch up.

• Like 2

Certainly looking forward to this hitting the stable channel! I imagine this is happening (after all this time) because of Google getting rid of NPAPI by the end of the year which was the main problem for browsers moving away from 32bit.

As far as Mozilla are concerned while I still really believe in their "Open Web" mission Firefox is becoming such a relic. My main issue is the lack of multiple processes which Chrome has had since release in 2008! On any modern CPU Chrome can render a webpage using one core while using another to display the browser itself while another does the work of an extension etc. Firefox has to do all of that in one process and it really, really shows. Chrome can utilise all of my CPU. Firefox only 25%. It's fine talking about rendering speed when it's just a single tab testing Gecko but throw the real world into the mix and boy does it show.

Just as Phoenix was there to give Mozilla (Browser) a much needed rebirth I think it's time for another one to give Firefox a rebirth and Gecko the browser it deserves. As at the moment Mozilla seem more concerned with pumping money into Firefox OS  :rolleyes:

Does Chrome try to take over your computer ?

I don't want to be Google-fied.

Easy fix: be smarter than your browser.

• 4 weeks later...

Does Chrome try to take over your computer ?

I don't want to be Google-fied.

Do you have an Android phone? If so, your already Googlefied! :)  :D