Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Riva

Lumia 930 - No bundled earplugs?

33 posts in this topic

Got my Lumia 930 today. To my shocking surprise there were no earplugs bundled. First time I have seen this in a decade of buying smartphones.

o.O

Got my Lumia 930 today. To my shocking surprise there were no earplugs bundled. First time I have seen this in a decade of buying smartphones.

o.O

Well, dont worry about it, the same happens with the iPhone...  :shifty:

o.O

Do you want my Apple ones? I have one set from each phone and I used 2 of them one. Just terrible. 

2 people like this

o.O

they're not even bundling it with the 930?? I know they don't bundle them with the low end ones anymore, but I'm surprised at the 930.

This is a good move IMO.  The headphones aren't usually that good and just end up as waste so it's better for the environment.  It also saves money.  You probably already have a set of headphones lying around and, if not, it's not hard to get some.

Phone manufacturers really should have done this with chargers by now too.  That was the whole point of standardising on micro-USB but phones still come with an unnecessary charger.

1 person likes this

I dont think they come with any windows phone (might be something to do with the horrible native music app (xbox music) who knows. I use a pair of Samsung headphones with mine because the controller and mic on it works whereas the controller and Mic on my apple ear pods does not.

This is a good move IMO.  The headphones aren't usually that good and just end up as waste so it's better for the environment.  It also saves money.  You probably already have a set of headphones lying around and, if not, it's not hard to get some.

Phone manufacturers really should have done this with chargers by now too.  That was the whole point of standardising on micro-USB but phones still come with an unnecessary charger.

Yes I have the earplugs I got bundled with the HTC 8X. :p

I dont think they come with any windows phone (might be something to do with the horrible native music app (xbox music) who knows. I use a pair of Samsung headphones with mine because the controller and mic on it works whereas the controller and Mic on my apple ear pods does not.

We also got a Lumia 625 which included bundled ear plugs.

I just hate it when other companies copy every Apple stupidity. Years ago front facing cameras disappeared from all phones because the iPhone didn't had one.

The ones that came with my 520 were crap. But then I prefer in-ear ones anyway.

People still use earplugs? They're terrible when it comes to sound quality. :/

There should have been a note in the box directing you to a website for the headphones should you want them.

Microsoft are giving them away free but want to reduce carbon footprint.

Max

Phone != MP3 player. :)

Phone ? MP3 player

But yes, earbuds suck anyway, no need to waste time and effort for making them. Want to enjoy music on the go - buy proper IEMs or headphones.

1 person likes this

There should have been a note in the box directing you to a website for the headphones should you want them.

Microsoft are giving them away free but want to reduce carbon footprint.

Max

but then would the extra shipping overweigh the reduced original shipment?

they'd probably do well to bundle it in emerging markets anyway and not bundle it for established ones.

Enjoy your Lumia 930. I have the Lumia Icon and love it!

Hello,

I don't think I've received ear phones with a smartphone that I've bought since the Windows Phone 6.5 days...

Maybe offerings are carrier-specific (e.g., AT&T, Vodafone, etc. tell Nokia whether or not they want them in the box)?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I think these days more and more phone companies are becoming cheaper by not bundling earphones. Someone I know picked Mi3 and earphones didn't come with that too. Even my N5 didn't come with one but my HTC one came with earphones.

1 person likes this

The overall footprint would be lower from a manufacturing stand point if say only a third of 930 owners request the earphones, a little bit of p&p  vs actual production costs (environmental & economical).  Many have voiced that they have their own set of high end headphones, why downgrade :) 

Max

3 people like this

The phone developers stopped putting them in couple years ago.

1 person likes this

they're not even bundling it with the 930?? I know they don't bundle them with the low end ones anymore, but I'm surprised at the 930.

Why bother, most people just throw them in a drawer never to be seen again anyway.

2 people like this

Chargers are a little more tricky. Although most of us geeks have a drawer full of MicroUSB compatible chargers (or if you're like me you have the USB plugs built into your wall socket directly) the same can't be said for everyone else. For example, say your last smartphone was one from 3 years ago and you just picked up a new Nexus 5... You run the risk of not being able to charge your device adequately with you 500mAh power brick when the N5 is expecting 1500mAh or so... Basically, chargers are not as universal as earphones are so it isn't likely to be dropping out of the phone box for the time being.

1 person likes this

Chargers are a little more tricky. Although most of us geeks have a drawer full of MicroUSB compatible chargers (or if you're like me you have the USB plugs built into your wall socket directly) the same can't be said for everyone else. For example, say your last smartphone was one from 3 years ago and you just picked up a new Nexus 5... You run the risk of not being able to charge your device adequately with you 500mAh power brick when the N5 is expecting 1500mAh or so... Basically, chargers are not as universal as earphones are so it isn't likely to be dropping out of the phone box for the time being.

In the EU it's pretty much a given that chargers will be dropping out of the box soon.  It's why they are trying to enforced the microUSB standard.

Got ones with 8S x2, 520 x2, 920, so they definitely do come with WPs.

Phone != MP3 player. :)

What?

1 person likes this

Micro-USB chargers have been the standard for years now and I have at least half a dozen sitting in drawers unused.  At some point manufacturers have to stop including them and it might as well be sooner than later.  It wouldn't be that difficult for retailers to advise customers that they need to buy a separate charger if one isn't included and phone prices will drop accordingly.  I've never had a problem using any old random micro-USB charger to charge a phone.

Well, dont worry about it, the same happens with the iPhone...  :shifty:

:huh:  In the US, they do include the earpods with mic. Many phones these days don't include earphones, cost cutting measure. I'm a bigger fan of bluetooth headsets, no cables, and better compatibility. I've had phones with no 3.5mm output, which I wouldn't be able to use a standard earphone w/ mic.

The whole point of the EU legislation regarding universal chargers was to reduce e-waste. That has been achieved to a degree through the ability to use a single charger on most phones but would have a bigger impact if manufacturers were to stop including chargers and earphones. The obvious solution would be to make them free optional extras with phones, as that way people who don't need them won't simply dispose of them (or keep them in a drawer and never use them) while those who do aren't disadvantaged.

It is ridiculously wasteful to be including them with every phone.