Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Riva

Lumia 930 - No bundled earplugs?

33 posts in this topic

The whole point of the EU legislation regarding universal chargers was to reduce e-waste. That has been achieved to a degree through the ability to use a single charger on most phones but would have a bigger impact if manufacturers were to stop including chargers and earphones. The obvious solution would be to make them free optional extras with phones, as that way people who don't need them won't simply dispose of them (or keep them in a drawer and never use them) while those who do aren't disadvantaged.

It is ridiculously wasteful to be including them with every phone.

I'd argue that the only thing that has been achieved by charger standardisation is the fact that it's easier to find a compatible charger if you've left yours at home.  We won't see any reduction in e-waste until manufacturers stop including chargers with every phone and that hasn't happened yet.  It's about time the EU and other governments moved to the next step and started banning the bundling of chargers.

And it's not even market dependent, they chose not to include headphones from factory. if a carrier wishes to add them, it's on their dime.

Surprising but most are terrible.

However ones I got years ago with my WP7 phone were in ear ones with a selection of sizes, I was very happy with the quality and fit. Probably a time when Nokia were throwing everything to make it stick and the earphones were better than usual.

Got ones with 8S x2, 520 x2, 920, so they definitely do come with WPs.

What?

My 928 and my wife's 822 didnt come with any, my boss has a 925 that didnt and our IT Director has an Icon that didnt come with any as well.

I'd have to check the box to see if my Lumia 1520 came with them. I use a Motorola S11 Bluetooth headset these days.

:huh:  In the US, they do include the earpods with mic. Many phones these days don't include earphones, cost cutting measure. I'm a bigger fan of bluetooth headsets, no cables, and better compatibility. I've had phones with no 3.5mm output, which I wouldn't be able to use a standard earphone w/ mic.

I was being sarcastic. I have an iPhone and those things included can hardly be called earplugs :p

Phone != MP3 player. :)

Enjoy 1998.

1 person likes this

I was being sarcastic. I have an iPhone and those things included can hardly be called earplugs :p

I know, I don't use them either, but doesn't stop other people from using them. I see plenty of iPhone users with the standard Apple earpod w/ mics.