Is Neowin working on a new site design?

question

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 Jase

Jase

It's like..Kablammo!

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:49

Just wondering if you guys are working on a new design for the website? If so i'm very interested to see what you guys have cooking in the lab!

also, some of you might remember Neowin when the members had a choice for colours selections like the classic light blue, dark & Green?.. do you guys plan to bring those back in the near future? I loved customising Neowin!

#2 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 6+, iOS 8.1

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:52

That answer is on a need to know basis.

#3 OP Jase

Jase

It's like..Kablammo!

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:56

That answer is on a need to know basis.

Well i'd like to know? that sort of comes close to need right? :rofl:

#4 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:06

The t-shirt thread actually has a tiny bit of info on this:

http://www.neowin.ne...ost&p=596451161

#5 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 83

Posted 28 July 2014 - 17:01

The answer is yes, and the target is August.

#6 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 July 2014 - 17:13

Of which year?

#7 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 28 July 2014 - 17:16

Of which year?

Next month.

#8 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 28 July 2014 - 17:17

Of which year?

#9 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 July 2014 - 17:18

Yikes.. I'd be old by then.

:laugh:

#10 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 July 2014 - 17:21

Next month.

I can see jokes have no effect on you. I will try another weapon next time.

#11 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 July 2014 - 17:22

I can see jokes have no effect on you. I will try another weapon next time.

So?

Jokes or not. 

:p

#12 Sionic Ion

Sionic Ion

It is upon us

Posted 28 July 2014 - 18:03

Neowin needs a major redesign. I've used Neowin for years but after visiting other sites, it's not always their news content that they are lacking in. But it is also their sites look less boring, there is something exciting about them. Like on all of them, they all show article titles with a big image behind them, that lures you into clicking it. When I'm here, the articles look much less exciting, and the website is a lot darker, making it seem dismal. Most other sites use white, and lots of text and popping pictures. Vibrant color. And I think that's what Neowin needs. They need to make their news portal have more flare of color, large text with pictures behind, and a bunch of miscellaneous articles below.

Like look at theverge.com, engadget.com, wpcentral.com, androidcentral.com. Even techspot.com, Neowin's partner, uses this type of site design for their front page. And even though I know this benefits Neowin more because it makes people want to read their articles almost like clickbait, but I like it, it makes me just want to read every news article on here. It makes it more interesting for me, it would make me not feel like it is a task coming here.

I'm not on the forums anywhere as much as I used to, but even they look very outdated. The font I believe is Segoe UI, and it reminds me of Windows 7, because when Modern Windows design came in, Segoe UI became more like Segoe WP, then Segoe UI Light and Semilight. If Neowin used more of the Modern Windows design look along with spicing up their own look, less dismal Hotmail blues, more vibrant coloring, I think the forums would look good too.

#13 OP Jase

Jase

It's like..Kablammo!

Posted 28 July 2014 - 18:17

Excellent! So any sneak previews to get us all giggity? while we wait until August? 

Neowin needs a major redesign. I've used Neowin for years but after visiting other sites, it's not always their news content that they are lacking in. But it is also their sites look less boring, there is something exciting about them. Like on all of them, they all show article titles with a big image behind them, that lures you into clicking it. When I'm here, the articles look much less exciting, and the website is a lot darker, making it seem dismal. Most other sites use white, and lots of text and popping pictures. Vibrant color. And I think that's what Neowin needs. They need to make their news portal have more flare of color, large text with pictures behind, and a bunch of miscellaneous articles below.

Like look at theverge.com, engadget.com, wpcentral.com, androidcentral.com. Even techspot.com, Neowin's partner, uses this type of site design for their front page. And even though I know this benefits Neowin more because it makes people want to read their articles almost like clickbait, but I like it, it makes me just want to read every news article on here. It makes it more interesting for me, it would make me not feel like it is a task coming here.

I'm not on the forums anywhere as much as I used to, but even they look very outdated. The font I believe is Segoe UI, and it reminds me of Windows 7, because when Modern Windows design came in, Segoe UI became more like Segoe WP, then Segoe UI Light and Semilight. If Neowin used more of the Modern Windows design look along with spicing up their own look, less dismal Hotmail blues, more vibrant coloring, I think the forums would look good too.

this is why I made this post! 

#14 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 28 July 2014 - 18:19

I personally love the design and get ready for all the hate when change comes. ;-)

#15 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Phone: HTC One X

Posted 28 July 2014 - 18:23

Excellent! So any sneak previews to get us all giggity? while we wait until August?

Maybe you subscribe, maybe you get a sneaky peaky, maybe you don't. I'm not telling ;)