Is Neowin working on a new site design?

Just wondering if you guys are working on a new design for the website? If so i'm very interested to see what you guys have cooking in the lab!

also, some of you might remember Neowin when the members had a choice for colours selections like the classic light blue, dark & Green?.. do you guys plan to bring those back in the near future? I loved customising Neowin!

That answer is on a need to know basis.

Well i'd like to know? that sort of comes close to need right? :rofl:

Neowin needs a major redesign. I've used Neowin for years but after visiting other sites, it's not always their news content that they are lacking in. But it is also their sites look less boring, there is something exciting about them. Like on all of them, they all show article titles with a big image behind them, that lures you into clicking it. When I'm here, the articles look much less exciting, and the website is a lot darker, making it seem dismal. Most other sites use white, and lots of text and popping pictures. Vibrant color. And I think that's what Neowin needs. They need to make their news portal have more flare of color, large text with pictures behind, and a bunch of miscellaneous articles below.

Like look at theverge.com, engadget.com, wpcentral.com, androidcentral.com. Even techspot.com, Neowin's partner, uses this type of site design for their front page. And even though I know this benefits Neowin more because it makes people want to read their articles almost like clickbait, but I like it, it makes me just want to read every news article on here. It makes it more interesting for me, it would make me not feel like it is a task coming here.

I'm not on the forums anywhere as much as I used to, but even they look very outdated. The font I believe is Segoe UI, and it reminds me of Windows 7, because when Modern Windows design came in, Segoe UI became more like Segoe WP, then Segoe UI Light and Semilight. If Neowin used more of the Modern Windows design look along with spicing up their own look, less dismal Hotmail blues, more vibrant coloring, I think the forums would look good too.

• Like 1

The answer is yes, and the target is August.

Excellent! So any sneak previews to get us all giggity? while we wait until August? 

Neowin needs a major redesign. I've used Neowin for years but after visiting other sites, it's not always their news content that they are lacking in. But it is also their sites look less boring, there is something exciting about them. Like on all of them, they all show article titles with a big image behind them, that lures you into clicking it. When I'm here, the articles look much less exciting, and the website is a lot darker, making it seem dismal. Most other sites use white, and lots of text and popping pictures. Vibrant color. And I think that's what Neowin needs. They need to make their news portal have more flare of color, large text with pictures behind, and a bunch of miscellaneous articles below.

Like look at theverge.com, engadget.com, wpcentral.com, androidcentral.com. Even techspot.com, Neowin's partner, uses this type of site design for their front page. And even though I know this benefits Neowin more because it makes people want to read their articles almost like clickbait, but I like it, it makes me just want to read every news article on here. It makes it more interesting for me, it would make me not feel like it is a task coming here.

I'm not on the forums anywhere as much as I used to, but even they look very outdated. The font I believe is Segoe UI, and it reminds me of Windows 7, because when Modern Windows design came in, Segoe UI became more like Segoe WP, then Segoe UI Light and Semilight. If Neowin used more of the Modern Windows design look along with spicing up their own look, less dismal Hotmail blues, more vibrant coloring, I think the forums would look good too.

this is why I made this post! 

I personally love the design and get ready for all the hate when change comes. ;-)

Excellent! So any sneak previews to get us all giggity? while we wait until August?

Maybe you subscribe, maybe you get a sneaky peaky, maybe you don't. I'm not telling ;)

• Like 2

Maybe you subscribe, maybe you get a sneaky peaky, maybe you don't. I'm not telling ;)

I've been meaning to do so, but I haven't been as active on Neowin as I used to.. I'm hoping to change that now that I have some free time! plus I missed a tech community :D

I've been meaning to do so, but I haven't been as active on Neowin as I used to.. I'm hoping to change that now that I have some free time! plus I missed a tech community :D

There's no obligation to do so of course, but if you were to subscribe, maybe additional... things would become available to you ;).

At this point I am being *poke* advised *poke* that I cannot divulge any more information about subscriber perks for fear of a violation of the "What happens in the Back Stage Pass subforum, stays in the Back Stage Pass subforum" rule.

• Like 2

Please understand OP, we as subs are under an NDA, don't ask don't tell, need to know, and a highly classified and highly confidential agreement. Something to do with admin-subscriber confidentiality. We can neither confirm nor deny the existence of a new design

• Like 2

Subs have seen screenies of some of it. Text will be 2x the size it is now, flatter, lots of white space. Rest is pretty much the same.

Subs have seen screenies of some of it. Text will be 2x the size it is now, flatter, lots of white space. Rest is pretty much the same.

Metrowin :)

I, personally, think that every one of those sites are just superfluous visual noise. They don't make me want to click articles at all, they make me want to click 'X'.

The new direction of design worries me, it's eliminating practicality and functionality for purely aesthetic click-bait. The ease of that style of design coupled with the ease of implementing jQuery/CSS transitional style effects has paved the way for ironically boring design that just leaves the impression of a visual dynamic that doesn't truly exist.

I will, however, leave room for a slight 'get-off-my-lawn' bias.

I do like Neowin's design though, Forums (although that's mostly IPB design) and all.

• Like 3

I, personally, think that every one of those sites are just superfluous visual noise. They don't make me want to click articles at all, they make me want to click 'X'.

The new direction of design worries me, it's eliminating practicality and functionality for purely aesthetic click-bait. The ease of that style of design coupled with the ease of implementing jQuery/CSS transitional style effects has paved the way for ironically boring design that just leaves the impression of a visual dynamic that doesn't truly exist.

I will, however, leave room for a slight 'get-off-my-lawn' bias.

I do like Neowin's design though, Forums (although that's mostly IPB design) and all.

Indeed, most of those styles realy have an annoying design. A good design is http://tweakers.net/, I like how clean it is, it has some featured articles on top and eveyrthing else is just a list of news items.

• Like 2

Indeed, most of those styles realy have an annoying design. A good design is http://tweakers.net/, I like how clean it is, it has some featured articles on top and eveyrthing else is just a list of news items.

Yeah, that's a nice design; clean and I know what I'm doing.