2TB external drive recommendations for XB1

xbox one microsoft external storage support

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 July 2014 - 17:09

Preferably personal experience, there's a lot of drives on amazon, plenty with bad reviews. I'd prefer one that would be replaced within a year or two or purchase if it fails. This drive will only be used to house XB1 games. Figured this will be a good size, roughly 35 games @50GB avg so really more than 35. I'd just like to have it last.

Also, is there any campaign info saved locally? Or would I be able to pick up on a mission I was on at any time on another box or if I reinstalled a game? Are SP saves sent to cloud too?

#2 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 28 July 2014 - 17:23

Preferably personal experience, there's a lot of drives on amazon, plenty with bad reviews. I'd prefer one that would be replaced within a year or two or purchase if it fails. This drive will only be used to house XB1 games. Figured this will be a good size, roughly 35 games @50GB avg so really more than 35. I'd just like to have it last.

Also, is there any campaign info saved locally? Or would I be able to pick up on a mission I was on at any time on another box or if I reinstalled a game? Are SP saves sent to cloud too?

Drive I use.  Powered but the USB 3.0 port.  No external power needed.  Small and compact.  Only thing I dont like is that it has a proprietary USB cable/connection.  But I have had mine for about a year, no issues....

WD My Passport Ultra 2TB Portable External USB 3.0 Hard Drive

http://www.amazon.co...ern digital 2tb

#3 shastasheen

shastasheen

Neowinian

Posted 28 July 2014 - 18:17

I went with one of the WD 3.5" powered externals. Upon install I immediately moved 2 or 3 games over and went through a bunch of updates for all of my games. It used to take forever to download and install updates. Now it takes hardly any time at all. I cant say its from the external drive for sure, but my Xbox One has been horribly slow on updates since I bought it. I'm curious if anyone else notices a performance boost by moving all of their games over to the external drive.

#4 therat

therat

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC One X+

Posted 28 July 2014 - 20:42

Drive I use.  Powered but the USB 3.0 port.  No external power needed.  Small and compact.  Only thing I dont like is that it has a proprietary USB cable/connection.  But I have had mine for about a year, no issues....

Using the same drive, works perfectly.

#5 OP Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 July 2014 - 21:55

Drive I use. Powered but the USB 3.0 port. No external power needed. Small and compact. Only thing I dont like is that it has a proprietary USB cable/connection. But I have had mine for about a year, no issues....

I ordered this drive, I was considering it, and you guys as well as the XB1 reddit community recommended it. Pulled the trigger when it fell to $99.99 on Amazon, new, not used. So that is exciting. It will be here before all the great games in September and beyond!

#6 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 31 July 2014 - 22:11

I ordered this drive, I was considering it, and you guys as well as the XB1 reddit community recommended it. Pulled the trigger when it fell to $99.99 on Amazon, new, not used. So that is exciting. It will be here before all the great games in September and beyond!

Its a nice drive.  Quiet to.  Waiting on XB1 to allow media playback support and I will be happy.  :)

#7 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 01 August 2014 - 00:14

They have bus-powered 3.5" drives now?

#8 FreeJAC1310

FreeJAC1310

Neowinian

Posted 14 August 2014 - 16:52

Would one be able to copy media files for playback on the X1 to this drive as well as have games etc. on it?

#9 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 August 2014 - 19:03

If that 2tb comes down ill get that one. I have the 1tb one already