• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 elenarie

elenarie

Newbie .NET / game dev

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:00

I'd love to see the various management consoles in Windows get streamlined into one, and feature a Ribbon. The Windows 95 look on these are quite awful to deal with anymore.

This! They already have the Microsoft Management Console as the base for everything. Now just to slap everything together in a cohesive way and make management easier.

There really is no need for a separate Device Manager, Disk Management, and GUIs when the same things are accessible through the Computer Management GUI which itself is an extension to the MMC. Even the Hyper-V management GUI is again an extension to the MMC. Surely these things can be unified in a good way into a single GUI?

EDIT: Another step that should be taken in the future, unify the exposed configurations in the old Control Panel and the new one. Everything that is accessible in the first should be accessible in the second, and vice versa. While they're at it, they should fix the old Control Panel to have a consistent feature exposure, as some things are not available in all view modes.

#47 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:09

I forgot I made a quick mockup of Wireshark with the Ribbon a while back:

I like it. Well, I would like it if it had any functionality at all :D

#48 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 01 August 2014 - 16:29

I like it. Well, I would like it if it had any functionality at all :D

Maybe I'll have to try a new mockup. :)

#49 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 01 August 2014 - 16:40

I got used to it. But i don't think it works better than what we had before. I'm not more productive with it at all. It looks better though specially when you have enough vertical pixels to not fold it.

#50 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 WP8.1U1 Black

Posted 02 August 2014 - 21:57

I love the ribbon. May be a bit bigger at its default state, but it is quicker.

#51 OP Ian W

Ian W

Neowinian Werewolf

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 04 August 2014 - 00:18

This! They already have the Microsoft Management Console as the base for everything. Now just to slap everything together in a cohesive way and make management easier.

There really is no need for a separate Device Manager, Disk Management, and GUIs when the same things are accessible through the Computer Management GUI which itself is an extension to the MMC. Even the Hyper-V management GUI is again an extension to the MMC. Surely these things can be unified in a good way into a single GUI?

EDIT: Another step that should be taken in the future, unify the exposed configurations in the old Control Panel and the new one. Everything that is accessible in the first should be accessible in the second, and vice versa. While they're at it, they should fix the old Control Panel to have a consistent feature exposure, as some things are not available in all view modes.

Those are great ideas, particularly the one about making the Control Panel and PC Settings consistent.

Maybe I'll have to try a new mockup. :)

Please do!

#52 link6155

link6155

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 August 2014 - 00:36

For Windows 8 themers, the Ribbon is a pain because you cannot change it's appearance without modding the system dlls. So for me, I always end up disabling it with ONE (OldNewExplorer). To be honest, I don't see the real benefits of Ribbon in Explorer, but in productivity apps (Office, SolidWorks, etc.), I find it more practical than the old menu.

#53 elenarie

elenarie

Newbie .NET / game dev

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 04 August 2014 - 00:51

To be honest, I don't see the real benefits of Ribbon in Explorer, but in productivity apps (Office, SolidWorks, etc.)

It exposes more features to the non-power users. That's why they included the ability to minimise it for people that already know what Explorer is capable of.

I disagree with the idea for it to be minimised by default, though. It should be visible by default, I am pretty sure most power users are capable of hiding it, though I can't say the opposite.