Router dieing?

I am starting to suspect my router a Netgear WNDR3300 may be on its way out. First off, every device in the house with the exception of the basic talk phone, connect via wi-fi this includes 2 android devices, a laptop, a desktop, a wii and a ps vita. Our isp is Comcast with the 50Mbps connection. The reason I am wondering if the router is failing is that often on the android devices it will freeze up, and then indicate that it has lost wi-fi, but it always comes back up within a few seconds. Now on the PC's, specifcally the laptop I'm noticing that the signal strength is listed between fair and excellent, with nothing else on the network, the router is sitting in the living room and the whole apartment is less then 2000 sq ft, there is nothing near the router except the modem, and the basictalk phone box, nothing else electronic in the area. There is not any firmware updates for this router and I have had it for 5+ years, could it be failing or is there something else that I might consider looking into as the culprit?

I have (had) that router (my glasses not working? :blink: I thought you said WNDR-4300 :p )

Maybe try putting DD-WRT (f it's possible) or changing up some channels on it to see if it still does that and then that will give you an idea of what's going on. I'm upgrading from mine because I want AC but that router has been rock solid for me (using DD-WRT).

So yeah it could be dying but could also just be new interference introduced to your area from a neighbor with new toys that you aren't aware of.

Thanks for that advice. I am noticing allot of wireless networks around me, mostly AT&T, I know that our neighbor does have AT&T, could that be some inference?

Could be if you are using the same "default" channel as they do. Those AT&T routers are set to HIGH transmit power by default too, they tend to blast out signals more than they need to. Also with the wireless cable boxes AT&T now uses that could be introducing tons of new signal interference.

What is a program that I can get to check for inference on Wi-Fi networks?

Inssider used to be free but not anymore. You can use Wifi Analyzer if you have Android phone or you can surely find an app for iPhone as well. Change it to something that doesn't interfere with other people.

• Like 1

Here is a great scanner for windows

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/

If your running 64bit windows, I had a bit of an issue with the ndis loading and had to do this to fix it

sc.exe config trlndismon binPath= C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers\TRLNDISMON.sys

You would run that from elevated prompt by the way.. I would hope they fix that in next release. This will show you info about wifi in the area, plus way more if you want it!!

What is a program that I can get to check for inference on Wi-Fi networks?

Amped wireless has a free program for wireless signals.

http://www.ampedwireless.com/

The Android tablet version shows interference.

You should be on the least crowded channel.

You might consider getting a router that can transmit on 5 gigs.

Not many computers can pick that up, and not so many people are likely to be using the 5 gig frequency.

Amped wireless has a free program for wireless signals.

http://www.ampedwireless.com/

The Android tablet version shows interference.

You should be on the least crowded channel.

You might consider getting a router that can transmit on 5 gigs.

Not many computers can pick that up, and not so many people are likely to be using the 5 gig frequency.

Does it shows true interferences or just some dumb channel overlapping calculations made on detected wireless networks?

I guess it shows channel overlapping.

It rates signal quality for each channel.

I don't know what all goes into the programming.

You'd have to ask them at Amped.