Photo

Do you still purchase physical media?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Physical media

Which best describes your purchasing of physical media?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,759 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:01

I have a netflix sub, and I buy DVDs/BluRays (since it's often cheaper than buying the digital equivalent), but I don't use the disks. They get ripped onto my local server and served that way.

#17 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• 2,985 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:23

Music - yes.  Due to the fact that streaming music is such low quality.  This is changing though.

Bluray - only when the movie is a keeper.

Console games - don't really buy many, but it depends.

Software - typically not.  Completely comfortable downloading.

#18 blerk

blerk

Banned User

• 710 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:01

Not exactly "media" (well, not 'entertainment' media), but I haven't gone all-digital on things like textbooks. Games, movies, music - yes, but I buy some of my textbooks (not all) other larger, more involved books such as Piketty's Capital in physical form. 

If I want to enjoy something, I'm perfectly happy with current digital options. If I want to learn something - physical for me thanks.

#19 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• 8,204 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:18

Haven't bought a CD in years, but have over 6,000 of them, and have never bought a movie dvd. Last game I bought was way back for PS2 and that was for my kid. All cd's are in a beautiful home made rack inside a walkin closet.

Don't stream crap either! Anything that has to do with just setting in front of the tv or computer to watch something is dull as heck.

#20 blade1269

blade1269

Jesus Saved me! A Christian!

• 1,721 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 13:13

I but Blu-ray movies on a regular basis. I don't spend money on inferior formats.

Exception with blu-ray combo packs, bluray and DVD. And games

#21 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,877 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 03 August 2014 - 13:16

Mario Kart 8. 

best.game.ever.

I still purcahse console games phsically..

#22 blade1269

blade1269

Jesus Saved me! A Christian!

• 1,721 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 13:21

I'm sort of in between the first two options on the poll. On one hand, I like physical media because there is nothing quite like owning the media that includes the software (it gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling especially if the software is Windows). On the other hand, digital media has several advantages compared to physical media. For example, I don't have to worry about it being damaged, lost or stolen.

I will definitely purchase physical media after the new Super Smash Bros is released.

The only reason why disagree with the last stament of your post, "I don't have to worry about being damaged or lost or stolen is because if the company decides that you violate the DRM they take control of your content". If you need an example check out that (finish) lady with the fiasco with Amazon.

#23 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,310 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 03 August 2014 - 13:22

Only buy CDs of bands I like if the pre order bundle is good, have Play music sub for the rest, same for movies, buy the rare BR of the rare movie worth spending money on

As for games, I game on my PC like you're supposed to, I'll download those, most pre orders are not worth the trip to GameStop

#24 Ian W

Ian W

Physical presence asserted.

• 1,482 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 17:23

The only reason why disagree with the last stament of your post, "I don't have to worry about being damaged or lost or stolen is because if the company decides that you violate the DRM they take control of your content". If you need an example check out that (finish) lady with the fiasco with Amazon.

I understand where you are coming from and you make a good point, but I must admit that DRM hasn't really been a concern for me . . . It has been quite the opposite, in fact.

As others have mentioned, both types of media have pros and cons.

#25 JHBrown

JHBrown

Neowinian Senior

• 3,825 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s/Galaxy Note 3

Posted 03 August 2014 - 17:36

I still buy all my games on physical media. If a music CD is good enough, I will also buy it. Same goes for Blu-Rays. Although the majority of our movie watching is streamed.

#26 +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• 4,764 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 17:41

I have been 100% physical media free since about 2005, about 2 years after Steam came out, and I also started with the first Cloud Storage services, I think dropbox was 2007. Music used to be always illegally bought, so never had discs for it, now I use Rdio or Google Drive. The only thing I needed to keep for awhile was discs for Windows, but that quickly went away when I figured out how to use USB drives.

#27 Stokkolm

Stokkolm

Neowinian Senior

• 3,041 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1520

Posted 03 August 2014 - 17:54

I haven't purchased a physical DVD since my last tour in Afghanistan in 2012. I hope the reasoning for that is obvious. I've never purchased a Bluray movie ever. The only physical media I buy would be Xbox games, but you didn't have a Video Games only category in the poll, and since even that is very rare I went ahead and marked the I have gone completely non-physical.

#28 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• 918 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 18:23

I have not purchase any type of disk since early 2013. The only media that I will purchase if I see a movie that I didn't watch yet is blu-ray. In Walmart they are sometimes at $7 bucks.

#29 ryoohki

ryoohki

Neowinian

• 313 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 19:32

Nope not since at least 2 years

#30 Xerino

Xerino

The Mouth

• 2,681 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 19:35

with the exception of used PS3 games, I cant remember the last time I actually bought brand new physical media, I think it was FF XIII on release day.