Photo

Do you still purchase physical media?

49 replies to this topic

Poll: Physical media

Which best describes your purchasing of physical media?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 nvllsvm

nvllsvm

Neowinian Senior

• 1,589 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 03 August 2014 - 19:53

All my media is digital. I hate streaming and nasty DRM, so anything legally available only with those is acquired through other downloadable means.

#32 pack34

pack34

Professional Electron Wrangler

• 1,012 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 20:07

I do a mix. Physical media for the music and movies I want to keep. Then I use subscription services like Netflix and XBox Music

#33 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,438 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 03 August 2014 - 20:13

I don't have any optical drives anymore. I used to have a Blu-ray drive for my computer but found I didn't use it and replaced it with a HDD. For TV I use a streaming box networked to my computer. Physical media is simply impractical.

#34 blank

blank

Neowinian Senior

• 8,579 posts
  • Phone: Iphone 5

Posted 03 August 2014 - 20:20

for my very important files such as photographs, i like to have multiple sourced back ups.

I have them on local drive, external drive, a copy up in the cloud, and a static copy on disc.
i'll probably get rid of the external drive copy since its not really needed since i recently subscribed to online back up.

however i don't have to buy discs that often anymore. i got a spundle of 50 dvd+r DL which seem to be lasting a very long time.

I never use discs for media, music, or anything like that. just static backup.

#35 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,845 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 03 August 2014 - 20:26

I understand the question, but really, it ends up on physical media, only the customer pays for it. Whether it's an HD platter or burned to DVD or BluRay. A digital download ends up on physical media.

Having said that, I guess Adobe CS5 would be the last time. Though I bought physical media to store all my ISOs on ...

#36 ybrett23

ybrett23

Neowinian

• 620 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 20:42

only media i purchase is blanks, so i can "assist" friends

my bb is well "tuned"  :D

#37 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,102 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 03 August 2014 - 20:48

I bought Hesitation Marks (Nine inch Nails) got the Deluxe Edition of the Album, The Next physical edition of something i will be getting is the Destiny Limited Edition.

#38 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• 9,659 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 03 August 2014 - 21:28

For games, physical because it's usually always much cheaper. As for everything else, digital.

#39 x-scratch

x-scratch

whaaaaaaaat

• 2,846 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 21:41

I buy physical media often. I like to physically own and control my content (ripping, converting, transferring etc.)  :)

#40 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• 5,380 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:38

I still purchase blurays, games are mostly physical media but I also won't pass up a digital deal. I own approx 250 blurays, I prob own 20 games between xb1 and wii u, handful of digital games between those 2

#41 Gromvar

Gromvar

RPG Gamer

• 816 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 21:34

It depends on the platform for me. If I'm getting a game for my 3DS it's only digital. Simply because I don't want to carry around cartridges with it. 

If it's on a home console I go 50/50 with it, and then if it's movies I like to have the physical copy. 

#42 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,556 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 22:05

I buy films and shows that I love in Blu ray. Music I buy in physical form if I'm buying for someone else, otherwise I just do it digital these days. Finally, games I buy digital on the computer, for the PS I normally buy physical media.

#43 Zidane

Zidane

Spoutcraft Lead

• 192 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 11 August 2014 - 22:11

The only physical media I'll buy is games...cause I love to see the case art and it looks great under my TV.

#44 Xeron

Xeron

Neowinian

• 247 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 22:27

Music - 'rent' from Xbox Music or buy in MP3/m4a, not drm'd so yes its quicker and easier rather than buying a cd.

Movies - I generally rent from Xbox video or Netflix/Amazon however, this is yet to be drm free when you buy them. I could build up a video library of things I've bought but then not be able to access it later - yes maybe in 5 years but what about in 10 years? So I still only buy movies in physical format.

Games - I buy digitally on Xbox one. I think it's much easier than having to deal with media. Don't have the same nostalgic feelings with these that I do with movies or music, so I am aware that maybe in 10 years I wont be able to play these games, but it doesn't really bother me. I may listen to old music and watch old movies, but I don't really play old games.

DRM opens the rental and streaming market for video and music, so I think its great for allowing that to happen, but I have no interest in buying something digitally for what is generally a higher price than physical media and not having the same rights for it, and even potentially losing access should any one of the companies involved stop trading or decide it was no longer commercially viable to provide it.

The derestriction in the music market seemed to be the point at which music downloads really went mainstream, and I don't feel the video market will take off until the same happens with that. I can see it potentially has a bigger problem in that a new movie will cost much more than a new music track, and therefore is much more desirable to acquire for free, but I don't see any way around it. Blu-ray discs might as well be DRM free as most are copyable as soon as you've bought them. Perhaps if when you purchased a movie, they made a contractual obligation to you to provide you with a DRM free download after say, 6 months of purchase, that would help.

#45 ScorpioRGc1

ScorpioRGc1

Neowinian Senior

• 1,619 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 17:22

I still prefer buying movies on Blu-ray and usually music on CDs.  For PC games, I generally have gone pure digital unless there's a good Collector's Edition.