Two Women survive a Freight Train

Two women trespassing on railroad tracks in southern Indiana narrowly missed a fatal encounter with a freight train when they were caught in the middle of a bridge as the train approached, authorities said.

The action, which unfolded on the morning of July 10, was captured on a camera mounted on the train, and authorities released the video today.

When the train engineer spotted the women in the middle of a 500-foot-long bridge known as Shuffle Creek Trestle, the engineer immediately applied an emergency brake and repeatedly sounded the horn. At first, the two women try to outrun the 14,000-ton freight train but when they realize it is catching up too fast, one woman lies down in the middle of the tracks.

The other woman runs off to the edge of the 80-foot-tall bridge as if to contemplate jumping off, then runs back into the middle of the tracks just as the train catches up with them.

By the time the train came to a stop it was past the bridge, running over the women in the process, authorities said.

Assuming the incident had been fatal for the two women, the engineer notified the Monroe County Sheriff?s Department, only to realize that the women had survived and escaped to a nearby vehicle, fleeing the scene, authorities said.

The women have been identified by law enforcement, and the incident is now considered a criminal matter.

source & video

The women have been identified by law enforcement, and the incident is now considered a criminal matter.

Right, the women put themselves in a situation where they were almost hit by a train, but luckily they found a way out of the situation....lets call them criminals for surviving and screw them over for life.

Nobody was hurt, nothing was damaged, what's the point of calling them criminals?

Right, the women put themselves in a situation where they were almost hit by a train, but luckily they found a way out of the situation....lets call them criminals for surviving and screw them over for life.

Nobody was hurt, nothing was damaged, what's the point of calling them criminals?

I agree, stupidity isn't a crime and I bet the farm they would not do this again. If they do, then they are criminally insane.

I'm pretty sure that after a scare like that they'd develop quite a serious railroad-phobia anyway.

After watching the video, it seems one of them lay down until the train passed her and the other one went from one side to the other side trying to rescue her friend or did I get it wrong.

Which is a misdemeanor and not going to screw them for life as stated above.

It will still cause them problems. My main point is I think the near-death experience is going to do more for their mentality than up to 60 days in jail and a fine up to $500, along with going on their record. It just seems unnecessary to me.