• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,632 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:01

House Republicans to vote to sue President Obama

The US House of Representatives is set to pass legislation authorising it to sue President Barack Obama for what Republican leaders describe as his overreach of authority.

The resolution is expected to pass the Republican-controlled chamber in a party line vote on Wednesday.

Its sponsors say Mr Obama exceeded his powers when he delayed an insurance deadline in his healthcare law.

The president's aides say the prospective suit is a political stunt.

Source and more.

#2 Melfster

Melfster

Neowinian Senior

• 1,710 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:05

If House can sue the President who can sue the House? 

#3 Xenon

Xenon

Neowinian

• 420 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:07

Another waste of time and money. I love the way congress does things like this which cost the taxpayers millions of dollars with no chance of it amounting to anything. 

#4 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• 12,928 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:08

Please post on-topic or choose another thread.

#5 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 2,049 posts
  • Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:09

I doubt this will pass

It seems like a silly idea to do this so close to elections

Voters on the edge might find it a stupid thing to do and vote democrat

The GOP has not that much to gain by doing this, but then again, I might be wrong :)

#6 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,817 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:09

could the house BE any more hypocritical? seriously they refuse to get anything done & when someone else tries other methods to actually get things done the house suddenly gets off their ass and attacks them. where the hell is this tenacity for everything else they're supposed to be doing?

#7 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,246 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:15

Why not just impeach him if they feel like they have a case?  Their hard-line constituents (the only ones they seem to listen to) want that.

This is a waste of tax money. Congress will use tax money to sue the president which in turn will use tax money to defend his administration. End of the day, the US citizens suffer the most from yet another terrible decision from the absolute worst congress in US history (by several statistical measures, not just my opinion).

#8 +primortal

primortal

Why Does It Hurt!

• 3,480 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia Icon (929)

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:20

Why not just impeach him if they feel like they have a case?  Their hard-line constituents (the only ones they seem to listen to) want that.

This is a waste of tax money. Congress will use tax money to sue the president which in turn will use tax money to defend his administration. End of the day, the US citizens suffer the most from yet another terrible decision from the absolute worst congress in US history (by several statistical measures, not just my opinion).

Do you really want Biden as president?

I wish the GOP would put the amount of effort they are putting in going after Obama, dismantling the ACA and Keystone into more constructive thing for this country.

#9 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,175 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:21

I've had it with not only the House but our entire two party system. Every prior President has had executive orders done and in fact there were things that Bush / Cheney did there were just as bad if not worse than Obama, like the war in Iraq. Republican hatred towards this President is so bad, that they wont even put things to vote anymore. My fear is that if the roles were reversed right now, Republican President / Democratic House that we would be in the same exact spot. Whats worse is that the extremes each party has gotten to, makes it impossible for bi partisanship and is actually ripping this country apart. Each side wants to do the "right thing" with their own politics, but in fact all this bickering, law suits are making this country worse. Republican hatred has gotten so bad, they don't see how hypocritical they are, why is it they are constitutionalists when it comes to Democratic policies, but not their own. Its time we get a more central party in place. I wish we the American people could sue the House for failing to do their jobs.

#10 elenarie

elenarie

Newbie .NET / game dev

• 1,311 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:46

Got to love corruption and how nothing is being done about it.

#11 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,015 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:48

How long will this drag on, and what will be the outcome ...

#12 Reverend Spam

Reverend Spam

Neowinian Senior

• 3,939 posts
  • Phone: Droid Bionic

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:16

I know I might be a conspiracy theorist, but I think both parties are in this together...  It's all a grand scheme to make the American public think the two parties in govt are at odds when it's all just a big show...  Are you telling me that these ADULTS can't agree on ###### that KINDERGARTNERS would have no problem agreeing to?  Of course not...  But if the govt thinks it's in its best interest to NOT get anything done, as a means to keep the American public at odds politically, all the voting in the world isn't going to change this. 

Our government can pass whatever legislation it wants....  And it doesn't take bribes, it doesn't take kickbacks...  All it takes is the powers the be agreeing that whatever it passes is just enough to keep the American public at odds with each other on party lines, enough so that the majority of us aren't willing to start a revolution, something that is clearly needed, in order to install a government that actually works "for the people" like it says it is supposed to. 

The US govt is just putting on a big show for their constituents...  We know and they know that no matter what they do at this point, we WILL default on our loans to other countries, and there's nothing we can do to stop the inevitable collapse of the US economy (like, way worse than in 2008).  Maybe then, if we can negotiate down our national debt to a level that's actually repayable, we can actually start moving forward as a country.  As it is now, our governing members are all just doing the best they can to help themselves before the USD becomes truly worthless.

#13 Kelxin

Kelxin

Neowinian

• 609 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:58

Just like the Denver police, we need to clean out the ENTIRE system and rebuild from scratch a chain of command that can actually be trusted.

#14 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,200 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:40

Do you really want Biden as president?

I wish the GOP would put the amount of effort they are putting in going after Obama, dismantling the ACA and Keystone into more constructive thing for this country.

Even if they could impeach, which at this point they can't, that doesn't mean it would remove Obama from office. 

#15 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,102 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 18:58

I know I might be a conspiracy theorist, but I think both parties are in this together...  It's all a grand scheme to make the American public think the two parties in govt are at odds when it's all just a big show...  Are you telling me that these ADULTS can't agree on ###### that KINDERGARTNERS would have no problem agreeing to?  Of course not...  But if the govt thinks it's in its best interest to NOT get anything done, as a means to keep the American public at odds politically, all the voting in the world isn't going to change this. 

Our government can pass whatever legislation it wants....  And it doesn't take bribes, it doesn't take kickbacks...  All it takes is the powers the be agreeing that whatever it passes is just enough to keep the American public at odds with each other on party lines, enough so that the majority of us aren't willing to start a revolution, something that is clearly needed, in order to install a government that actually works "for the people" like it says it is supposed to. 

The US govt is just putting on a big show for their constituents...  We know and they know that no matter what they do at this point, we WILL default on our loans to other countries, and there's nothing we can do to stop the inevitable collapse of the US economy (like, way worse than in 2008).  Maybe then, if we can negotiate down our national debt to a level that's actually repayable, we can actually start moving forward as a country.  As it is now, our governing members are all just doing the best they can to help themselves before the USD becomes truly worthless.

well your post is correct. the only thing i'd correct is when you say try to make our debt repayable. This is impossible, by design. Currency is created by the Fed from nothing and charged with interest to the US Govt. There's no possible way to repay debt.

Back on topic, this voting to sue is nothing more than show before they take their 5 week vacation. It'll amount to nothing. Like others have said, if they really wanted to send a message they'd vote to impeach.