Photo

What was the first movie you purchased on DVD?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:24

Did you know that the first movie to be released onto DVD was Twister?

What was the 1st movie you ever saw or sampled on DVD?

When you first saw something on DVD what was your reaction?

What was the first movie you ever purchased on DVD.

1) The 1st movie I saw a sample of on DVD was legends of The Falls. I saw it at a very well known electronic store in Sioux City Iowa for my Birthday one year.

2) The Quality had me in shock. up until that point all I had ever seen is broadcast TV or VHS.... no rewinding? ZOMG!!!!

3) The first movie I ever owned And played in my Gateway G6 333 that had a DVD drive in 1998 was  Sphere.

#2 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:32

Not 100% sure.. I remember Twister being shown off at Circuit City, I think it was Armageddon back in 98 or so that I bought first, on the PC it would be Tex Murphy - Overseer, still got the disc somewhere, also sometime around 98. Don't think I bought any VHS tapes after that. And I still have some here.. wonder if my Star Wars Trilogy still.. ah who cares, it's VHS. Looks like ass nowadays.

#3 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:33

Not 100% sure.. I remember Twister being shown off at Circuit City, I think it was Armageddon back in 98 or so that I bought first, on the PC it would be Tex Murphy - Overseer, still go the disc somewhere, also sometime around 98. Don't think I bought any VHS tapes after that. And I still have some here.. wonder if my Star Wars Trilogy still.. ah who cares, it's VHS. Looks like ass nowadays.

ya and the Special edition star wars you had to fast forward through the make of just to get to the god damn movie!

#4 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:35

ya and the Special edition star wars you had to fast forward through the make of just to get to the god damn movie!

Sounds like you weren't the "be kind, rewind" type of person ;D

#5 xplatinum

xplatinum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:35

Gladiator.

#6 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:39

FWIW and not even what you're looking for, but believe it or not, I have NEVER bought a dvd!!

TV/movies, for the most part, are boring as heck to me. Many better thing to do than set in front of an idiot box!

#7 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:55

the Back to the Future trilogy. Was on sale at Target--$16 for the whole set if I recall :D

wasn't even that long ago, relatively. I don't watch TV or movies that much and most of the few DVDs I have were given to me. But I had to have BttF!

#8 mps69

mps69

Neowinian

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:50

First DVD I saw was Star Trek: Generations, my mate sat me down just to watch my face as it started, I was blown away with the picture quality, compared to VHS.

The first DVD I bought was Contact, in fact I still have it, up there as one of my favorite movies of all time. 

#9 Jared-

Jared-

Pick it, pack it, light it up...

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:00

Think it was Vertical Limit - and too this day I still haven't watched it, ha. I've even seen it on tv and flicked past it, have no idea why I bought it. Followed it up with Mallrats though, lol. 

(BTTF all the way! I remember the first print of the trilogy chopped off some of the image, so they re-released it. Have most editions on DVD, as well as limited edition blu ray. And of course, my Mattel Hoverboard.)

#10 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 31 July 2014 - 16:02

Monty Python's Life of Brian. Bought it via eBay, ended up with a Scandinavian version - i.e. English audio with subtitles in Danish, Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish.

#11 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 July 2014 - 16:40

Purchasing DVDs? Cool story  :shiftyninja:

#12 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 31 July 2014 - 16:42

Purchasing DVDs? Cool story  :shiftyninja:

Risky Business!

:laugh:

I have it on DVD. :D

#13 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 31 July 2014 - 16:50

The first DVD I bought was Contact, in fact I still have it, up there as one of my favorite movies of all time. 

OMG ... ME TOO!!!! In fact Contact is ranked as my #1 favorite movie.

#14 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

Posted 31 July 2014 - 17:07

Debbie Does Dallas or The Devil in Mrs. Jones, not sure which I bought first.   The close-ups were...incredible!

#15 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 July 2014 - 17:14

i remember watching twister when DVD's first came out (i worked in a music/movie retail store) and thought that DVD's would never take off because the quality of the video was horrible! they must have used WAY too much compression on the video, it was pixelated through a bunch of the action scenes.