Posted 31 July 2014 - 17:13

Another laughable article.

#17 Riva

Riva

Neowinian Senior

• 1,560 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 17:29

Flash isn't a good idea. 

Fixed it for ya. Seen flash drop an Ubuntu PC and a Windows PC so treat with care.

#18 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,680 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 17:49

I think this comment pretty much sums it all up

"It is amazing that Microsoft is even around after a number of serious mistakes and a total disregard for the users. Microsoft had 35% of the smartphone market when it abandoned and orphaned WinMo 6.x instead of simply updating the UI (and it needed updating); it then proceeded to abandon and orphan WinPhone 7.x!! After hosing its users twice, one should only approach any Windows Phone device with great caution. Microsoft is already committed to "One Windows", the unification of the code of all Windows versions, which may well mean that the current WinPhone 8.x may well be abandoned and orphaned!!!

WinPhone 7/8 did not fail because it came late to the market. It failed because it was immature, it was not as usable and configurable as competing platforms and it run on rather unremarkable hardware. This continues to be the case today. In fact, when I moved to Android, I gave WinPhone 7.5 a very long trial and found it very unsatisfying and very immature as a platform. It is likely that progress has been made with WinPhone 8.x, but I am not still attracted both to the UI and the overall usability of these phones. I find the whole tile paradigm tiresome, too much scrolling in all directions and too many missing key applications. I will not consider a WinPhone today not because it is not popular (I could not care less) but because it is not as good as the competition. And this is the sad truth."

It's interesting that you feel that quote sums it up for you because all it tells me is that the author doesn't really understand what he's talking about.

#19 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

• 4,528 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 17:50

I think consumer confidence with android will drop. google is an untrustworthy company and everyone should know it.

#20 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,246 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 18:03

I think this comment pretty much sums it all up

"It is amazing that Microsoft is even around after a number of serious mistakes and a total disregard for the users. Microsoft had 35% of the smartphone market when it abandoned and orphaned WinMo 6.x instead of simply updating the UI (and it needed updating); it then proceeded to abandon and orphan WinPhone 7.x!! After hosing its users twice, one should only approach any Windows Phone device with great caution. Microsoft is already committed to "One Windows", the unification of the code of all Windows versions, which may well mean that the current WinPhone 8.x may well be abandoned and orphaned!!!

WinPhone 7/8 did not fail because it came late to the market. It failed because it was immature, it was not as usable and configurable as competing platforms and it run on rather unremarkable hardware. This continues to be the case today. In fact, when I moved to Android, I gave WinPhone 7.5 a very long trial and found it very unsatisfying and very immature as a platform. It is likely that progress has been made with WinPhone 8.x, but I am not still attracted both to the UI and the overall usability of these phones. I find the whole tile paradigm tiresome, too much scrolling in all directions and too many missing key applications. I will not consider a WinPhone today not because it is not popular (I could not care less) but because it is not as good as the competition. And this is the sad truth."

So basically a Windows 6.5 phone won't run Windows Phone 7 so then people upgraded to a phone with Windows Phone 7 and then Windows phone 8 comes out which can't be upgraded on your Windows Phone 7 devices so they are forced again to upgrade.

I can understand 6.5 not upgrading to 7 .. because that was some ###### hardware .. but Windows phone 7 to Windows phone 8 ..dafuk?

#21 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,715 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 31 July 2014 - 18:06

Fixed it for ya. Seen flash drop an Ubuntu PC and a Windows PC so treat with care.

Then come up with a way to display live streaming and drm protected content through the browser without plugins because without this flash isn't going anywhere for a long long time!

#22 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,871 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 31 July 2014 - 18:11

Then come up with a way to display live streaming and drm protected content through the browser without plugins because without this flash isn't going anywhere for a long long time!

doesn't netflix manage to do this with html5? i'm pretty sure they do so that problem is pretty much a non issue

#23 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,738 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 31 July 2014 - 18:33

but Windows phone 7 to Windows phone 8 ..dafuk?

Changes in the kernel prevented upgrading. WP7 was a stepping stone.

#24 +warwagon

warwagon

• 27,246 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 18:35

Changes in the kernel prevented upgrading. WP7 was a stepping stone.

Regardless, probably ###### the consumer off. So now who is going to touch a WP8 / 8.1 phone with a 10 foot pole. They think Microsoft will just abandon them when 9 comes out.

yes, android phone manufactures are notorious for Abandoning the users on the version the phone shipped with. But at least Apple gives you at least one major version upgrade.

#25 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,738 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 18:41

Regardless, probably ###### the consumer off. So now who is going to touch a WP8 / 8.1 phone with a 10 foot pole. They think Microsoft will just abandon them when 9 comes out.

yes, android phone manufactures are notorious for Abandoning the users on the version the phone shipped with. But at least Apple gives you at least one major version upgrade.

You just killed your own argument in that response.

#26 +warwagon

warwagon

• 27,246 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 18:43

You just killed your own argument in that response.

But what about the iPhone which is their 1st or 2nd large competitor. The iPhone 4s is still getting upgraded to iOS 8.

The people who bought WP7 devices are probably thinking .. Gee should have went Apple and got a 4s. They have more apps, and they are still getting new iOS versions

#27 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,738 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 19:16

But what about the iPhone which is their 1st or 2nd large competitor. The iPhone 4s is still getting upgraded to iOS 8.

The people who bought WP7 devices are probably thinking .. Gee should have went Apple and got a 4s. They have more apps, and they are still getting new iOS versions

... Or they could have upgraded to a new WP8 device, as I've seen plenty do.

#28 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• 2,200 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1520 running Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 31 July 2014 - 19:38

... Or they could have upgraded to a new WP8 device, as I've seen plenty do.

That's what I did. I used my 7-based  HTC Titan until my contract was up and I wasn't satisfied with it anymore, and then I upgraded my phone to a Lumia 1520. When most people replace their phones every 2 or 3 years, I don't see how being left behind is a big deal. You'll probably be upgrading to something newer before too long anyway.

And before anyone complains about the waste of "disposable" devices, I don't chuck them - I pass them on to relatives. I take care of my stuff, so my old phones still have some service life left in them. My 16 year old cousin got my Titan, and is quite happy with it, even if it doesn't run the latest OS.

And as an example of Windows Phone gaining users, After seeing my 1520, two of my relatives are moving to WP8 devices. It probably helps that I'm not shy about telling friends and family how much I like the device.

#29 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,738 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 19:59

That's what I did. I used my 7-based  HTC Titan until my contract was up and I wasn't satisfied with it anymore, and then I upgraded my phone to a Lumia 1520. When most people replace their phones every 2 or 3 years, I don't see how being left behind is a big deal. You'll probably be upgrading to something newer before too long anyway.

And before anyone complains about the waste of "disposable" devices, I don't chuck them - I pass them on to relatives. I take care of my stuff, so my old phones still have some service life left in them. My 16 year old cousin got my Titan, and is quite happy with it, even if it doesn't run the latest OS.

And as an example of Windows Phone gaining users, After seeing my 1520, two of my relatives are moving to WP8 devices. It probably helps that I'm not shy about telling friends and family how much I like the device.

I still have my Titan II. It still serves me quite well running off wireless. My relatives, too, bought Windows devices after seeing mine. My Aunt bought both a Surface and a 920.

#30 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,652 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 22:27

This whole arguing and complain and bashing on platforms is past getting old.  Use whatever you want and whatever you prefer and everything else doesnt really matter.  Why there are different platforms.  An iPhone doesnt suit everyone, neither does an Android.  If it did, then there would be no competitors.  I tell people who are torn from one device to try each out and see how they like it and then make a choice. Yes, I give my opinion but I dont push them towards a device.  Some have Androids, some have iPhones.  I just dont understand all this hate and anger towards electronic devices.  More important things going on in this word than worrying about whether or not your phone has a certain app.

Comments like this always strike me funny.  For everyone who who says, I know so and so who switched from such and such device, there are the same amount of people saying the same thing about a different platform.   Gaining users shows up in market share and whatever report you happen to believe.