Rogue Legacy is awesome!

Spelunky meets Dark Souls meets Castlevania!

Died more times since I bought it yesterday than in all of my Demons/Dark Souls playthroughs lol. Really enjoying it, its quite a slog to start with though.

PS Plus has 20% off just now, at least in EU. ?7.99. Cross buy and save as well across PS3/PS4 and Vita.
  • Like 2

I died like 20 times already and i still got no where... :(

so, it is normal? how many times do i have to die to get anywhere? i never got past a first few rooms.

and i finished shovel knight, so i thought i was doing alright with platformers..

Died more times since I bought it yesterday than in all of my Demons/Dark Souls playthroughs lol. Really enjoying it, its quite a slog to start with though.

how many times you died, before you completed a level (or a boss)?

The whole point with this game is that you die frequently. :woot:

You just need to grind away at it and as your character develops you will get further and further.

Haven't got around to playing it on my VITA yet, allthough purchased it on release day after pounding many an hour into it on Steam. :shiftyninja:

• Like 1

so, it is normal?    how many times do i have to die to get anywhere?    i never got past a first few rooms.  

and i finished shovel knight, so i thought i was doing alright with platformers..

I'm level 103 (dies 103 times) and just completed the forest (2nd level). I'm starting the 3rd level.

I think i completed the 1st level when i was level 50 or close to it something like that.

I've never beaten it. Maybe I'll get back into playing it again. I put a good 12-18 hours into it before it was widely known. Bought it from the HumbleBundle about 2 years ago. Frustrating, but amazing game. I grew up in the 80's and 90's. These types of games are far better than call of duty, halo, battlefield, gta... all them. Side scrolling platformers are amazing.  I wish castlevania/metroid would go back to the style. I despise the 3d versions. They don't have the same feel, and I'm noticing that they do not have the same replay value as the classics.

The whole point with this game is that you die frequently. :woot:

What is cool about the game is you can play it in short sessions. A game is never long. So you can play it for 30 minutes and get 1 or 2 levels and progress a little bit.

I wish castlevania/metroid would go back to the style. I despise the 3d versions. They don't have the same feel, and I'm noticing that they do not have the same replay value as the classics.

Well they are on the game boy. The Castlevania games on Game Boy are really awesome. I really loved the first Mega Man Zero too. I think companies should port those game boy games on PC and sell them on steam.

I am tempted with this game, but I'm put off by the fact that I couldn't get to grips with Spelunky.

Is this essentially the same as Spelunky?

I am tempted with this game, but I'm put off by the fact that I couldn't get to grips with Spelunky.

Spelunky is more about platforming, this is more combat focussed.

No.

I did not like Spelunky much. I did not like the fact that with Spelunky the ghost prevented you from taking your time. It was a race. Also there's was no progression unless you got far and opened shortcut.

In Rogue Legacy you can take your time. Also unless you failed badly and died before getting money you'll always progress. You get money and buy new upgrade every game.

The progression is slow and you'll die a lot. Toward the end of a level the game becomes repetitive cause you grinded the level for 50 lives and the only reason you kill the boss is because you upgraded your toon enough.

I would say if you don't like the concept of raiding in mmo (dying a lot to upgrade your toon) you might not like Rogue Legacy. Personally i think it is a really fun game. I can't play it for long sessions though. The game becomes too much repetitive after 1 hour or so. I usually play it in short sessions of 30 to 45 minutes when i have some free time to play but can't afford to be stuck 3 hours in a game like Skyrim and such.

Mmm, thanks for the replies. Seriously tempted now. I don't mind grinding, and I like the fact that even though you die, you still are progressing.

The fact you can also take you time is appealing.

Well they are on the game boy. The Castlevania games on Game Boy are really awesome. I really loved the first Mega Man Zero too. I think companies should port those game boy games on PC and sell them on steam.

I've played every castlevania. The DS ones are very good and exactly where the console ones should be.

IMO, Rogues Legacy is one of the best indie games I have ever played. Along with Binding of Isaac. 

• Like 2

I've played every castlevania. The DS ones are very good and exactly where the console ones should be.

IMO, Rogues Legacy is one of the best indie games I have ever played. Along with Binding of Isaac. 

Legend of Grimrock is awesome too.

Binding of Isaac is coming to PS platforms as well isn't it? Always liked the look of that.

Binding of Isaac is outstanding. I haven't beaten that either. I have somewhat severe ADD and the only game i have been able to focus on over the years is League of legends. According to steam, I have 18 hours into Rogues Legacy, and 6 hours into the Binding of Isaac... This thread has made me want to hop back into those games... too bad I'm at work for another 7 hours!

• Like 1

Binding of Isaac is coming to PS platforms as well isn't it? Always liked the look of that.

Yeah, should be out this year IIRC.

I'm level 103 (dies 103 times) and just completed the forest (2nd level). I'm starting the 3rd level.

I think i completed the 1st level when i was level 50 or close to it something like that.

Thanks!   I am already at 26 now, and I am loving the upgrades, and with ability to lock the castle, it is finally starting to make sense!   I am trying to beat the boss, but I always die when it still has 30-40% life.

But now I can see how fun it is.    Perfect game to play in short intervals!

Thanks!   I am already at 26 now, and I am loving the upgrades, and with ability to lock the castle, it is finally starting to make sense!   I am trying to beat the boss, but I always die when it still has 30-40% life.

But now I can see how fun it is.    Perfect game to play in short intervals!

When you have a good run and made lot of money (6k and more) spend it on the upgrade to give less money to Charron and the upgrade the make more money from mobs. It really makes a difference.

• Like 1

Hovering over buy now.....

Dooo it!

I've put in over 20 hours already lol (got a trophy). The game does get very repetitive, especially in long stretches, but I keep going back for more inbetween doing other things.

• Like 1

Wait, Rogue Legacy only just came out on PS4 or something? I could swear it was out on PS3/360 last year and close to launch for PS4? Or maybe I'm insane. Still, have had this on PC since it was released, and I can't recommend this game enough. It's a superb game all around. There's a reason it was on quite a few best of 2013 games lists you know :)

Also, the last boss can go suck it. :D

• Like 1

Dooo it!

I keep going back for more inbetween doing other things.

Yes, it is like the Arcade machine, without change to pay...      You want to keep playing it!

Yes, it is like the Arcade machine, without change to pay...      You want to keep playing it!

Exactly.

I love games that manage to produce that feeling. Basically quick, fast fixes of pure gaming. No nonsense, build up, or waiting through cutscenes. 5-10-15 min playthroughs :)

It's a very tricky formula to nail down and not either get too repetitive, or burn out gamers. It's basically the addiction some people get with a mobile game, except, ewww not mobile :P

• Like 1

so, it is normal? how many times do i have to die to get anywhere? i never got past a first few rooms.

how many times you died, before you completed a level (or a boss)?

Should I pick up Shovel Knight or Rogue Legacy ?

Should I pick up Shovel Knight or Rogue Legacy ?

Shovel Knight!

Has story!

However, you will definitely get less hours of Shovel Knight and will not come back to it after you finish. Rogue Legacy is playable for a long time and you can play it for ages!

Both are great!