Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shiven

i5-4690K w/H80i temperature?

5 posts in this topic

Hello Neowin!

I recently installed an i5-4690K with an H80i (that I got for a fabulously low price), and I have a question concerning the core temps. Under prime95 testing w/small FFT's, cores 0, 1, and 2 run at around 64-65C. Core 3, however, runs at 59C. I'm not too tech savvy, so I'm not sure if this temperature disparity is normal, or if it's something I should check out (perhaps reposition the heatsink, reapply a more "even" layer of TIM, etc.) 

I have a mildly OC'd the i5 to 4.0Ghz. 

Edit: Also, at Idle, the difference in temperatures is smaller, with cores 0, 1, and 2 idling around 32, and core 3 idling around 30. 

Thanks a lot Neowin!

S

What version of Prime95 are you using?

27.x (AVX) and 28.x (AVX+AVX2) use a new set of instructions that usually automatically raises voltages by 0.1V and generate a lot of heat. If you test with Prime95 26.6, what are your results then?

In addition to that, those measurements aren't all that accurate. I have a 4790k (stock 4Ghz with turbo to 4.4Ghz) and my Core #3 (= the last one) always runs about 5

Ambroos,

In my initially assessment I used prime95 v28.5b2. I downloaded prime95 v26.6, and running the same small FFT test @ 4.0Ghz, my temperature does not exceed 55C. Which version of prime95 is usually used for testing? (I suppose the answer to that question lies in what the individual is testing for; increasing the voltage to increase temperature would, I suppose, be a good way to test for cpu cooling/thermal compound benchmarking...) 

Once again, however, core 3 runs at 47C, while cores 0-3 run at a cool 52-53. But if what you say is right about scheduling, then I don't mind it. It makes sense if that were the case.

If I OC in the future, should I use prime95 v26.6 to test?

Thanks a lot mate!

S

New versions of Prime95 with AVX simply cause a ridiculously high load that is far from representative. Many 4790k's (including mine) instantly ramp up to over 90

Ambroos,

Thanks a bunch for your help man! It is very much appreciated!

Best of luck with your build and everything else.

Cheers,

S