Just built my first rig

Okay so I've never done a post like this but lets get this ###### going.

So I've been thinking about building a computer for a while but just never got started. Nothing fancy, just something to get me by.

Now this is the first rig I've built so in terms of how neat the inside is going to be, don't expect ANYTHING.

In truth this would've taken me about 45-1hr (dw I know people can do it in less) but I spent a LOT of time with the screws on the case and ended up taking me from 10-12 :/

In the build:

MSI Z97 45G - Motherboard

Core i5 4460 @ 3.2Ghz

MSI GTX 750Ti 2GB Twinfrozr

Crucial Ballistix 4GB @ 1600Mhz

Dynex 520W - YES I KNOW. it's going strong and I got it at an amazingly super price of $20 (crossed-fingers)

Sorry about the pic size, I'll know about this next time!

Everything

106yr9d.jpg

GPU:

20ksqa1.jpg

15hj5e9.jpg

INSIDE:

27xm0k9.jpg

5mxyj5.jpg

Orange fans

11l63j5.jpg <br>

Mindovermaster, on 31 Jul 2014 - 17:45, said:

Cable management....

I don't like MSI, but each to their own.

Yeah I know. I installed the GPU but then my CPU 8pin doesn't reach anymore so I'm gonna work on some cable management while I wait for an extender.

I personally don't like MSI either but from other peoples experience not so much my own. I'm actually a big big fan of ASUS.

Why'd you get the stock CPU cooler? Surely, it's enough, but us enthusiasts like big things. :laugh:

Yeah I know, I was thinking of grabbing another cooler but this one is going pretty strong plus I'm in no need to overclock just yet :)

tsupersonic - I didn't even think about removing the cages :/ thanks I will definitely do that.

has anybody had experience using a 4+4 pin extender? I just bought mine but wondering if it's a good idea.

AND do people know what I'm talking about? because I walked into NCIX and BestBuy and they told me it did not exist, but then I go to MemExpress and they have it?

Exactly like that except 8pin. Yeah I know right, I walked in and the guy says "you need another psu" so I just said thanks and left. NCIX is usually my go-to store but I've found great bundles and now parts at MemExpress.

Yes, 8 pin extenders are common in larger cases (some cases even include them). I use one in my Fractal Design Define R4, and it works great. I can route the cable through the back of the case, which makes it nice for cable management.

A minor issue. It seems the 4-pin connector isn't sitting level with the 20-pin.

3diDDIF.jpg

I guess you connected the 20-pin first and then the 4-pin, right? It should be the other way around.

Take a look at these for reference:

atx-24-pin-connector.jpg

Another type:

atx-24pin-molex-39-01-2240.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, I tried turning it on and the computer wouldn't start! Then I realized the 4 pin wasn't seated correctly. Thank you! :)