Help me build new gaming pc

Hi! As requested in previous topic, I opened my own one. I'd like to ask you guys, experts, for a little help. I'm looking to buy a new gaming pc (budget 1000?). I don't know what components are best because I haven't done this in years. Is i5 still best for gaming? About oveclocking, does it make any big difference? I don't need a monitor, already got one. Anyway, I hope some of you will land me your help :D

Hi! As requested in previous topic, I opened my own one. I'd like to ask you guys, experts, for a little help. I'm looking to buy a new gaming pc (budget 1000?). I don't know what components are best because I haven't done this in years. Is i5 still best for gaming? About oveclocking, does it make any big difference? I don't need a monitor, already got one. Anyway, I hope some of you will land me your help biggrin.png

We need to know if you know how to overclock and want to overclock so we can give you a compatible setup for that.

As for other information: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/647056-guide-to-computer-builds. That will give you some more information on what information you need to provide.

i5s are good for gaming but more and more games are using multi-core/threads so i7 will increasingly become the best choice.

Although that site is interesting and is accurate, the setups are generalized and most setups needs to be created on a case to case basis.

• Like 2

Yeah, Yoco.. If your into advanced stuff, there's so many variables. But if you just want a little OC, shouldn't hurt.

I'm running a Core i5 3570 and can run most games on Very High at 1920x1080 using a Radeon 7870.

Actually similar to Mindovermaster's rig.

I've tried overclocking in the past and it USED to help out in certain circumstances, but I typically don't bother anymore.  I've been very happy with the performance on mine.  I just built it about a little over a year ago.  The only thing I want now is a 1TB SSD for my games.  I put OS and most other programs on my 120GB Samesung 840 Pro, then games on the spinning drive.  My Steam folder is about 900GB or so.

You'd be better off putting your money into a decent video card, than an i7.  You could pretty easily get into an i7 and decent card, though if you don't have a huge need for storage and cut down on RAM, etc.  8GB is a good number to be at.  Skimp a little on case, etc..

Here is a cheaper build as well.  (Note: I would definitely spend more than these, but goes to show you that you can play current goes on a budget.)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/can-we-build-a-gaming-pc-on-a-console-budget/1100-6418829/

There are a ton of others if you look up "budget gaming build" or "mid-range".

Honestly though when we're talking Gaming PC from a non-enthusiast stand point, just grab an i5 (if you wanna spend some more get i7), LGA1150 Mobo, 600W PSU or lower depending and a GTX660. Or work your way from this base gaming build. 

Generally an i5 is considered better for gaming because games never took advantage of the i7, resulting in barely any performance difference for a larger cost. However this is beginning to change. The Cryengine, Frostbite and new Unreal Engine can all take advantage of the multiple threads the i7 has over the i5. But still its generally better to get a decent i5, and a nice beefy video card. 

Ty all for your answers. Really appreaciate it. :)

Knowing me, I'll probably try and overclock sometime in future :D

Someone said I should get a Xeon proc and mobo H97. Are xeon's really that good?

Anyway, OP, I'll make a parts list for you if you want, detailing the reasoning behind each component, but I'll have to do it in a few days.

That'd be great :D

I'll probably buy on this site. http://www.funtech.si/si/konfigurator/ (not sure if can be in english).

Not bad, but please take a mainboard with a Z97 chipset. It'll save you the trouble of having to update the BIOS before your CPU works properly (although you still should update it with the Haswell Refresh CPUs).

Is 600W PSU enough? 

This mobo ok, http://www.funtech.si/si/vsi-oddelki/komp/maticne-plosce/intel-1150/32586

And can you help me decide which case is best suited?

In store I'll buy they only have this SSD from samsung http://www.funtech.si/si/vsi-oddelki/komp/trdi-diski/ssd-diski/26779  Is it still good?

What about this graphic card http://www.funtech.si/si/vsi-oddelki/komp/graficne-kartice/ati-radeon/27730

Is 600W PSU enough?

For one GPU yes

And can you help me decide which case is best suited?

But what really would suit you? 

I like this:

http://www.funtech.si/si/vsi-oddelki/komp/ohisja/ohisja-za-racunalnike/28388/

or for something cheap

http://www.funtech.si/si/vsi-oddelki/komp/ohisja/ohisja-za-racunalnike/22979/

yes thats a good mobo to go for.

Better then the 270X and your not likely going to need more then 3GB for the GPU.

Personally I've heard gigabyte is not the way to go. I would go Asus, but I have no experience with gigabyte. Ssd is fine although someone may be able to find one with a better price and can someone answer if the radeon will work with the mobo?

I was thinking something even cheaper :D

Personally I've heard gigabyte is not the way to go. I would go Asus, but I have no experience with gigabyte. Ssd is fine although someone may be able to find one with a better price and can someone answer if the radeon will work with the mobo?

They have that samsung ssd only. :(

Don't know what other one to pick really

If you're talking about Gigabyte motherboards, I used one for my first build. It was pretty good, but it was just a motherboard. My next two purchases were Asus motherboards I only buy Asus now. I just love the BIOS and the tools they give you.

If you're talking about Gigabyte motherboards, I used one for my first build. It was pretty good, but it was just a motherboard. My next two purchases were Asus motherboards I only buy Asus now. I just love the BIOS and the tools they give you.

Which asus mobo is compared with the one I picked?

I changed my build a bit. Tell me what you think.

Intel Core i5 4690K
GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-GAMING 3
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 CML8GX3M2A1600C9 BLUE
WD 1TB SATA 6GB/s Black
SSD disk Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SATA3 2.5"
SAPPHIRE RADEON R9 280X OC Dual-X, 3072 MB DDR5
650W CorsairVS

Is RAM ok?
Last thing I need is case. Can someone recommend one? I don't want it to be expensive. I only need to be tool less and have usb.

I changed my build a bit. Tell me what you think.

Intel Core i5 4690K

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-GAMING 3

Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 CML8GX3M2A1600C9 BLUE

WD 1TB SATA 6GB/s Black

SSD disk Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SATA3 2.5"

SAPPHIRE RADEON R9 280X OC Dual-X, 3072 MB DDR5

650W CorsairVS

Is RAM ok?

Last thing I need is case. Can someone recommend one? I don't want it to be expensive. I only need to be tool less and have usb.

If you're going with the R9 280x, I'd go with VisionTek. It's cheaper, has a lifetime warranty, and you can just OC it up to whatever you like.