Nokia/HTC

Guys,

My dad wants to buy a smartphone and he has always used Nokia and by always I mean he never used another brand. We recently showed him HTC One, etc and he kind liked the phone and HTC but that phone it's too big (i kind think the same, as I own one now), and since I don't know much about Nokia I thought of asking you guys for recommendation.

Not much to ask for, except a smarphone and other stuff doesn't really matter and the budget is open so give us some recommendation and thank you! ;)

His current phone is Nokia N8 and let me know if I missed some info and I'll try to provide as much as I can.

Personally, I'd avoid HTC... Their phones seem to be lacking in features. Nokia has a lot of insider connections and premium goodies available for their devices.

• Like 2

Personally, I'd avoid HTC... Their phones seem to be lacking in features. Nokia has a lot of insider connections and premium goodies available for their devices.

Ok, do you have any recommendation then?

Why not stay with Nokia? Personally, I'm not a fan of big phones either but when I mean big, I mean I have a Lumia 1520 and the fact that it is either the apps aren't optimized enough or the phone is too awkward, I'd rather have a Lumia 930. But the 930 has a 5 inch screen just like HTC One. I'm not a fan of Nokia's 4.5" screen phones, but I got my mom and her husband a Lumia 925 for each of them. If 4.7" isn't that bad, wait until the Lumia 830.

Considering he has a phone with a great camera of it's time. Maybe he should get the Lumia 1020.

Thanks Sionic. What are the differences between these three Lumias? Which one do you recommend the most for someone who is not going to use loads of apps and other stuff, only use the phone, mail, gps, and some other basic stuff. And yes 5 inch screen is going to big for him so a little smaller would be good BUT if we don't one good 5 inch wouldn't be a problem in that case.

I might not recommend you anything good nor does I believe I clear stuff.

Although I avoid HTC because their support, which is about they ditch their budget phones Android Updates more frequently. Although HTC is planning to launch Windows Phone on 21st August, so if you are willing to wait and have obsession with brand you can wait. Its expected that newer WP phones from HTC will be preloaded with WP 8.1 GDR 1.

Nokia is now owned by Microsoft and they already ditched (only support mode) X and Asha Series (So in short they are DOA [Dead on arrival]) other than their current Lumia series, which will continue to live. So basically if you go with Nokia, I will only recommend you Lumia (Windows Phone - I hope you don't mind Windows Phone as OS) series.

Now for screen size perspective, Nokia 630 could be good choice. Nokia two devices are also in Inbound and might release soon and I believe they will be 730 and 830 or it could be 935, and for the first time new one will have front facing cameras.

I suggest you to go with new WP8.1 preloaded phones. Not older series since it does not worth it now except Lumia Icon and L1520.

L530 - Super Budget phone, decent but biggest limitation would be 512 MB RAM, so some apps might not run or run slower.

L630 - Once again 512 MB limitation and as I said above restriction applies. Although Quad Core phone.

L730 - Not revealed

L830 - Not revealed

L930 - 2 GB RAM, Excellent phone and flagship phone so you could expect everything. [Lumia Icon is quite similar to it]

L1520 - If you are concerned about battery life, then it has amazing stand by battery life. So definite buy. But its size will make you say NO NO.

I said in layman and more concerned stuff not technical since it would be too much for anyone to digest.

EDIT: Extending Sonic Icon point, Yes, apps are slow to catch up, MS added 1080p hardware support in GDR3 and imagine one of the popular WPCentral app just updated to support 1080p display. So in future more apps will in slow tandem support 1080p.

http://www.wpcentral.com/wpcentral-app-phone-gets-1080p-support-custom-notification - See they got 1080p support on June 21st while GDR3 rollout start last October although several Nokia got it in February as well like L620.

Sorry for the late reply.

Thank you for your replies guys. @Zlip792, so if we choose L930, what would you say about that? Is he going to love that phone or throw at my face and kick my butt the next time he sees me? lol

As far I have read about it (a little bit) it seems a good phone and the size is not big either same as HTC One I guess which ok but bigger than that is going to be silly imo though sometimes I think my HTC One is big.

Sorry and apologize from my side for late reply.

I don't think that your father will mind about it.

Before so, I suggest you to take a look at 360 of L930 from GSMArena: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_930-3d-spin-6227.php

Read review: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_930-review-1107.php

If your father has to use more than 32 GB Built in and focus on some specific apps (his corporate apps or some games if he play) then he could face some issues otherwise he wouldn't regret it for sure. Microsoft is adding new feature back to back with its rapid release quite phenomenal speed IMO.

I have seen the phone before and I absolutely love it. I think this phone is the most gorgeous Nokia phone and I thought this has been release for couple of months ago or even at beginning of this year but this phone was just release.

32GB will be more than enough for him, he doesn't play games except Sudoku and that obviously is not a game. The only thing that I am kind of unsure about is WP8.1 (i've either used windows 8 oh pc nor phone before), does it work good on this phone, etc or? I mean isn't Android/iOS better than Windows? I have no idea about these stuff, as I am a complete n00b when it comes to phone. ;)

Anyway, I will tell him to have a look at this phone, updating once I talk to him. Thanks for the help, it's very much appreciated!

32GB will be more than enough for him, he doesn't play games except Sudoku and that obviously is not a game. The only thing that I am kind of unsure about is WP8.1 (i've either used windows 8 oh pc nor phone before), does it work good on this phone, etc or? I mean isn't Android/iOS better than Windows? I have no idea about these stuff, as I am a complete n00b when it comes to phone. ;)

I just used Nexus 5 and L520 of my siblings, I don't own either of such smartphones, I have stupid Nokia C3-00 S40 Symbian mobile. I am pretty sure after using both, I will definitely prefer Windows Phone over Android. Although it would be quite fanboy and controversial topic if I continue and my opinion will be subjective and biased.

So I just skip this topic. Although it would be worthy phone to get. I will try to link some introductory WP8.1 Youtube videos, so that you could get some basic understanding.

I will take a look around the net and see what I find, thank you for helping out.