Never had a Mac, will I enjoy using OS X?

Are you using windows 8? If so is hybrid shutdown on or off? Most likely on because I thought the same thing until I turned it off. Watching windows and mac boot side by side GUI and verbose was interesting. The mac booted faster everytime. I'm using a first gen rMBP 512ssd vs my desktop with a 840 pro 256 and 128. Also did a raid 0 of 256 m4s and that was the only thing faster.

It takes 13 seconds from when I hit the power button on my MBPr to get to login screen. I should've added a caveat - it takes forever to POST on my desktop. On my desktop, 10 second POST, then 6 seconds later the login screen appears. Just for comparison sakes, my Surface Pro 2 boots in about 11 seconds to login screen. All very similar, all very fast, and most importantly all close to margin of error. 

Yes, desktop is running Windows 8.1 x64. and hybrid shutdown is off. I turn off hibernation, don't want to waste all that space on my SSD.

For example, you have a "Finder" window open and you want to move a file to the trash. Clicking the "Delete" key does nothing. You know that you can use the mouse to drag the item to the trash but why isn't there a button? Well, there is, but you haven't enabled it.

Firstly, you can simply right-click on the filename and select "Move to Trash" from the drop-down that appears. Job done

Alternatively, place the mouse cursor on the top menu bar of the Finder window. Right-click (or [alt] click) and select "Customize Toolbar". Now, from the drop-down symbols display, drag the trash can "Delete" icon up to the menu bar of the window and release it. Click {Done}. (You won't need to do this ever again on this Mac. The trash icon will remain there in all Finder windows.)

Now, to delete a file, you click on it once, to select it, and click on the trash can "Delete" icon. You can select several files to trash at once if you wish. Note that they will remain in the Trash until you click on "Finder" (top, fixed, menu bar) and select "Empty Trash". Or, alternatively, you can right-click on the trash can in the "Dock" (Task Bar) and select "Empty Trash".

In Windows, I usually just press del on the keyboard. In OS X, cmd-delete is the equivalent.

In Windows, I usually just press del on the keyboard. In OS X, cmd-delete is the equivalent.

^ what he said. Then once you're on the desktop or have any Finder window open, Command + Shift + Delete to empty the trash.

(Some browsers also use Command + Shift + Delete to clear out the private data.)

^ what he said. Then once you're on the desktop or have any Finder window open, Command + Shift + Delete to empty the trash.

(Some browsers also use Command + Shift + Delete to clear out the private data.)

You can also hold down Cmd+Opt+Shift together and press Delete on the keyboard while in the Desktop don't know about the Finder Window might work, So you won't be prompt to empty the trash it will automatically delete it in trash with my key combination that I always use to empty my trash on my Mac. without any hassle to press enter on the keyboard to empty trash or by clicking with the mouse.

In Windows 8, if you plug in an external hard drive, it sets up a backup too. It just doesn't have a fancy name like Time Machine. It's just called File History.

Same principle though, you can go back through dates and restore previous versions of your files.

Also, like Time Machine, Windows will work with NAS or SANs (such as USB sticks or external drives attached to routers, which more and more ROUTERS are supporting).  I'm trying to see if there is a program that can split an attached MyBook or other external NAS into multiple partitions of different file formats for backups.  (The big thing is multiple file-system support, since the Multiboot Minion DOES swap between multiple OSes.)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Coming from using Windows XP and Windows 7, and reading how some people love Mac OS X after switching while others don't - I'm feeling a bit conflicted here. I want to make the switch to try it out but at the same I don't. 

All I use my computer for is browsing the web, writing, music, excel, downloading, managing documents etc. Just regular stuff. Would the supposed pleasure experienced from OS X on a Macbook be worth it? Price is not a factor, so just tell me your views based on the actual OS rather than Apples hardware or prices.

I would love to hear your views.

It took me about a week to get used to it. Then I really loved it. It's fluid and user-friendly. You probably already made your decision by now. If you went with Mac, I just wanted to add that you should probably wait to get Mac OS X Yosemite until after the beta testing is finished and the final version is released. There have been bugs. 

• 2 weeks later...

Coming from using Windows XP and Windows 7, and reading how some people love Mac OS X after switching while others don't - I'm feeling a bit conflicted here. I want to make the switch to try it out but at the same I don't. 

All I use my computer for is browsing the web, writing, music, excel, downloading, managing documents etc. Just regular stuff. Would the supposed pleasure experienced from OS X on a Macbook be worth it? Price is not a factor, so just tell me your views based on the actual OS rather than Apples hardware or prices.

I would love to hear your views.

Sure, you'll probably be very happy with OS X, it is a very good OS. You'll also wonder, why anyone ever needed a Start Menu. Like ever. 

No such thing in OS X and yet it works. Very well. In fact, it is quite similar to Windows 8.