The stigma of being an atheist in the US

Are things really so bad in the USA that people are actually afraid of saying they're atheists? Are you lot living in the middle east or something? :o

Is this a serious question? Always makes me laugh how ignorant your Euro types are about the US, yet you always think you need to run your mouths about the way things are here every chance you get.

• Like 3

It really depends on where you live. Live in the city and no one would bat an eye at you saying your an atheist. Live in the burbs and out in the country, you could get anything from dirty looks to being shunned by your neighbors. Few years ago further out from where I am, about 40 mins from Chicago, a home was vandalized with anti-atheist spray paintings. They thought it was kids picking on the kid and family who lived there. 

So much for "Love thy Neighbour".

Are things really so bad in the USA that people are actually afraid of saying they're atheists? Are you lot living in the middle east or something? :o

No, it's not that bad. Almost every week, I read/hear some Athiest propaganda on the radios or tv. 

No, it's not that bad. Almost every week, I read/hear some Athiest propaganda on the radios or tv. 

That's called science not Athiest propaganda :glare:  

• Like 2

Maybe if they acquired some social skills, shaved their necks, and stopped being such vitriolic anti-theists people would treat them with more respect.

/r/atheism is doing to atheists what the flamboyant, in-your-face gay pride parades of the 80s did to the gay community.

/r/atheism is doing to atheists what the flamboyant, in-your-face gay pride parades of the 80s did to the gay community.

Well that sounds good given how well the gay community have done for themselves.  If it wasn't for those in your face gay pride parades (amongst other things) homosexuality would still be illegal, attacks on homosexuals would still be prevalent and gay marriage wouldn't even be up for consideration.  The gay rights movement has increased tolerance around the world and, if this article is correct, it sounds like American atheists could do a lot worse than to follow their example.

• Like 4

Please do give us some examples. I'm intrigued about this 'atheist propaganda'.

Yet they are very unlucky compared to being an atheist in the EU.

Or Quebec. Here even the religious people don't care about religion that much.

Is this a serious question? Always makes me laugh how ignorant your Euro types are about the US, yet you always think you need to run your mouths about the way things are here every chance you get.

Well, why don't you try answering the question instead of flapping your lips in the wind?

Maybe if they acquired some social skills, shaved their necks, and stopped being such vitriolic anti-theists people would treat them with more respect.

Maybe if the theists grew a brain and stopped trying to ram their nonsense down the throats of everyone in sight, the atheists would treat them with respect?

And it's not anti-theist, it's atheist.  It doesn't mean you hate religious people, it means you don't believe there is a god.

Well, why don't you try answering the question instead of flapping your lips in the wind?

Enron already did. There's nothing needed to be added.

Enron already did. There's nothing needed to be added.

Yes, and he managed it without the stupid comments, too.

But please, do give me your answer. After all, a single persons answer does not a consensus make.

Yes, and he managed it without the stupid comments, too.

But please, do give me your answer. After all, a single persons answer does not a consensus make.

Since you insist: the answer is No.

Maybe in the Bible Belt... But certainly around here, it's not a big deal one way or the other if you're religious or not. I know plenty of people who are atheists, plenty who are hardcore <insert religion here>. I've never been in a scenario where someone was afraid to say they were religious or not religious. Maybe it happens elsewhere, but I've never personally experienced it.

• Like 2

Where did you get this from?  Freedom of religion ( not from ) was the main reason for seperation from England, that led to the formation of our country.

Just take Hobby Lobby, for example...

Social skills like gathering in a dusty old building once a week to have conversations with something that isn't there?

• Like 2

I have known a few real atheists among my co-workers, and for them it's become their "religion".

As soon as someone includes god in their speech (as in "thank god, they found the child before she was killed") they launch into a speech that usually starts off by pointing out how stupid and moronic believers are. This is quickly followed by examples of evil perpetrated by believers (drawn mostly from the middle ages), and then they go on to insult the most cherished principles held by those standing right next to them, expecting everyone to take it in good humour. When someone does get upset at what they are saying, they take it as evidence that they must be right and the other person must be wrong, that their position is strong while the other's is weak.

In one case, a atheist's mother came to this country to visit her son. They were watching a movie together that touched briefly on a religious theme. Even in the dark of the theatre, he couldn't help but make a comment about the stupid and silly people who believe in such things. He did this knowing that his own mother was very religious and that she would be hurt by it. He said that he was merely "educating her". Speaking of it afterwards, he said he "felt it was the right thing to do".

I have never understood this need to beat down someone else's belief system. I don't believe in an eternal hell where people burn forever. So when someone tells me I'm going to hell, it has no effect on me at all. I can discuss the subject if requested, but I don't have the urge to argue my point of view against their's. What would be the reason for doing so, except to score a few points.

Even in the atheistic community, those like Richard Dawkins are becoming seen as religious fanatics of the atheistic variety.

• Like 3

Some of those could be classed as some kind of propaganda I guess, but most are just morons being morons.

Thank you.  Was that really so difficult?

Perhaps propaganda was a poor choice of words. I was trying to convey that Atheist are not "shivering in their boots scared" to "come out of the closet" in America. Fact is, it's the first time in my 42 years i have ever heard the term "Closet Atheist". As someone said in an earlier post, it may be regional. America has become increasingly Liberal over the last 20 years. I have no problem with it by the way. I am Christian but am more a to each his own type. Leave me the eff alone and I'll leave you alone kinda guy. I also don't see the Theist (as a majority) ramming anything down anybodies throats other than in certain regions, except for maybe Jehovah Witnesses that come by my house from time to time and I just tell them I worship The Crimson King and the Traveler from Star Trek and most of the time they move on.  :) I have said in other posts that the belief factor is very strong in our species. So strong in some that they are willing to die for it. 

• Like 2

I have known a few real atheists among my co-workers, and for them it's become their "religion".

As soon as someone includes god in their speech (as in "thank god, they found the child before she was killed") they launch into a speech that usually starts off by pointing out how stupid and moronic believers are. This is quickly followed by examples of evil perpetrated by believers (drawn mostly from the middle ages), and then they go on to insult the most cherished principles held by those standing right next to them, expecting everyone to take it in good humour. When someone does get upset at what they are saying, they take it as evidence that they must be right and the other person must be wrong, that their position is strong while the other's is weak.

In one case, a atheist's mother came to this country to visit her son. They were watching a movie together that touched briefly on a religious theme. Even in the dark of the theatre, he couldn't help but make a comment about the stupid and silly people who believe in such things. He did this knowing that his own mother was very religious and that she would be hurt by it. He said that he was merely "educating her". Speaking of it afterwards, he said he "felt it was the right thing to do".

I have never understood this need to beat down someone else's belief system. I don't believe in an eternal hell where people burn forever. So when someone tells me I'm going to hell, it has no effect on me at all. I can discuss the subject if requested, but I don't have the urge to argue my point of view against their's. What would be the reason for doing so, except to score a few points.

Even in the atheistic community, those like Richard Dawkins are becoming seen as religious fanatics of the atheistic variety.

Maybe if some people weren't pushing so much then you wouldn't be experiencing an equally annoying opposite reaction.

Perhaps propaganda was a poor choice of words. I was trying to convey that Atheist are not "shivering in their boots scared" to "come out of the closet" in America. Fact is, it's the first time in my 42 years i have ever heard the term "Closet Atheist". As someone said in an earlier post, it may be regional. America has become increasingly Liberal over the last 20 years. I have no problem with it by the way. I am Christian but am more a to each his own type. Leave me the eff alone and I'll leave you alone kinda guy. I also don't see the Theist (as a majority) ramming anything down anybodies throats other than in certain regions, except for maybe Jehovah Witnesses that come by my house from time to time and I just tell them I worship The Crimson King and the Traveler from Star Trek and most of the time they move on.  :) I have said in other posts that the belief factor is very strong in our species. So strong in some that they are willing to die for it. 

The problem isn't the door knockers, or the pulpit preachers, or even the (criminal) tent faith healers. The problem is the average Joe Normal who believes so strongly in their particular brand of religion that they lobby for it to be rammed down the throats of everyone else. You see this in the schools forced to teach Creationism in a science class, in same sex couples unable to marry, churches being given tax exemptions, in the BSOA being given virtually free use of public facilities for their jamboree etc, in the very words of "in god we trust" printed on your money and similar phrasings forced into your Pledge of Allegiance despite such things actually being against your very own constitution.

Atheists are quite happy to live in peace with theists, as long as they keep their beliefs to themselves and quit trying to force it on others.  MOST theists do just that, and they're just fine, it's the big mouthed minority who are the problem, because most of them are not only loud, but they're rich, and have political clout.

• Like 2

Can't we all just hold hands and agree that both sides have their share of idiots?

Seriously, many people don't care one way or the other, and I live in Texas of all places.

There isn't some witch hunt for atheists. The worst I've seen is people acting a bit colder to someone who's head is so far up their butt, they must share their beliefs with you at every single turning point. This applies whether you're Christian or atheist.

I'll respect someone's beliefs, but how can I be comfortable if I'm having to step on eggshells around you? I'm not about to change myself for your thin skin. What arrogance one must have to think I'm about to navigate my life around them...

Anyway, before you guys get to bickering (maybe I'm already to late), I say we just agree to both sides being stupid, go on about our lives, and leave the bickering to the idiots. Idiocy is not exclusive to certain religions after all.

• Like 2

That would apply on both sides I guess, but as I said, sometimes it only takes a slight reference to the word "god" to set a full frontal attack on religion.

Why not just let it pass? Why not just say something like, "Yes, I'm happy too, that the child was saved from death" and let the moment pass? We can all agree on good news, can't we?

The problem with religion is that it is pretty much a status quo. It is accepted to be the truth. No "maybe"s, no "probably"s, it IS the truth. Anyone who questions it is a weirdo.

I consider religion a type of superstition and see their books as historical fantasy fictions, but oh boy, if I say that as an opinion among friends or relatives, they all give me weird looks as if I'm some kind of a lunatic. They might not say anything but they will start behaving differently.

Some even say that how one could have a moral compass if he/she doesn't believe in some god and heaven and hell.

It is frustrating and I tend to avoid such conversations at all cost; and I never start one, although that's also partly because I don't consider a fantasy to be worth of discussion any more than say lord of the rings.

As for atheists; they should focus on trying to achieve equality for non-religious people and not try to fight everyone that they're right and the rest are wrong; that's not much different from religion itself.

• Like 2

I wish people would learn their terminology and stop conflating atheism and anti-theism.

You certainly wouldn't group Christianity and Islam together as a single entity because technically they believe in the same god, so I don't see why we should continue to confuse the mere absence of belief with the opposition of.

• Like 3