Looking for chrome alternative

Do I download Canary?

I'd suggest beta, too. It's a good balance between being stable and getting new features faster. If you depend on any plugins that currently don't work on the 64bit version, get that, otherwise, enjoy the free more 32 bits :)

I would second Maxthon or Chromium (if IE is not your pick!)

Not really seeing why you'd "need" a 64bit browser, you're more likely to run into plugin issues if you did i'd say...

I wouldn't rule it out. I love Firefox's extensibility, best out of any browser hands down. It's the engine itself that's killing me.. some script-heavy sites just slow it to a crawl. I hear they're finally working on a multiprocess model for the thing, hopefully that gives it a much needed kick in the pants to get performance up where it should be.. if they can pull that off (and addons work with it properly) I'll definitely reconsider it. I also won't lie, I use Firefox on my phone still, again mainly because of ABP, the Chrome version runs as a proxy and only works when I'm on my wifi.

That's why I love Waterfox - the multiprocessing there is the second-best of all x64 browsers I have used (the best in breed in x64 is, surprisingly, IE - however, that is primarily because of the designed-in Enhanced Protection Features; also, it has better support for certain add-ins (Internet Download Manager) than Waterfox.  Where IE falls down in (compared to Waterfox) is, unsurprisingly, Flash playback - however, later versions of Waterfox have somewhat regressed there (more crash-happy, especially with Flash Player 15 beta).

That's why I love Waterfox - the multiprocessing there is the second-best of all x64 browsers I have used

I've tried it (along with a couple other "optimized" x64 builds like Pale Moon, PCXFirefox, etc). Pretty much runs more or less the same as vanilla Firefox for me, sometimes even slower, at least on benchmark sites. "Feels like" wise is about the same, still can occasionally drag on very script heavy sites. None of them are multiprocess though, it's still just the one. Multiprocess as in look at your task manager, one Waterfox process versus say I currently have 18 Chrome processes going.. when that one script heavy site is busy chugging away it won't freeze the entire browser, the others are still free to do whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I have not posted back on here been busy and caught a strong cold and still feeling the effects. It is so hot here in Miami and that does not help either.

Anyways I downloaded Chrome Beta 64-bit and I like it quite a bit. My only issue is a font-rendering on some sites and even our own site www.hygienics.com which concerns me. With CoolNovo, IE 11 and Firefox the font are fine. Perhaps being Beta that is probably the issue. Still it is pretty quick and does what I need. I added some extensions for privacy and configured the internal settings to my needs.

Are there more settings that can be accessed thru the Omnibar?

As for Firefox I went ahead and installed regular Firefox 31. I dont know what the big issue is for some people but it is beautiful the new UI and I like it a lot. It is pretty fast also so I think I may stick with it.

Sorry I have not posted back on here been busy and caught a strong cold and still feeling the effects. It is so hot here in Miami and that does not help either.

Anyways I downloaded Chrome Beta 64-bit and I like it quite a bit. My only issue is a font-rendering on some sites and even our own site www.hygienics.com which concerns me. With CoolNovo, IE 11 and Firefox the font are fine. Perhaps being Beta that is probably the issue. Still it is pretty quick and does what I need. I added some extensions for privacy and configured the internal settings to my needs.

As for Firefox I went ahead and installed regular Firefox 31. I dont know what the big issue is for some people but it is beautiful the new UI and I like it a lot. It is pretty fast also so I think I may stick with it.

They're still working on the directwrite support which was first enabled in 37, they'll also be enabling it in the UI in a future version. It's getting lots of focus so it should be all fixed up for stable channel.

chrome://flags.  There is a setting in there for DirectWrite, I think it's enabled by default in the beta but can't hurt to check. (I bounce between Chrome and Chromium.. lose track of the differences quickly.)  Lots of other settings in there too, obviously use care if you're not sure what a setting does.  Similar to Firefox's about:config.

Max you saved my butt again! Thanks :)

Yes it was disabled and I enabled it and GPU acceleration. Now the site looks fine..