Photo

Suggest additions to my Workstation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Scraggles

Scraggles

RootLeak

Posted 05 August 2014 - 17:23

I'm looking to do more with my workstation to make it unique. Right now what makes it uniqe is that I built a backsplash that the monitor is mounted to. The backsplash sits off of the wall so I can route wires behind it leaving my desk 100% wire free. I want to do more though without cluttering it too much. I'm considering mounting a USB hub behind the monitor for thumb-drives and whatnot. Last night I built a stand for my tower that will be allow me to stash excess wiring UNDER the tower instead of just behind it like it is. It isn't painted yet so I'll probably have that posted up by the end of the week. 

What creative ideas do you have for me?

Here is how it looks currently

post-35193-0-81451200-1406729820.jpg

#2 suprNOVA

suprNOVA

devSquad

• Phone: Blackberry Z10

Posted 05 August 2014 - 21:03

crazy artistic drawing on the backsplash. of a dragon :woot:

#3 OP Scraggles

Scraggles

RootLeak

Posted 05 August 2014 - 21:09

crazy artistic drawing on the backsplash. of a dragon :woot:

As awesome as that would be, I don't have that kind of talent. I bet a Vinyl cutout would be badass... 

#4 suprNOVA

suprNOVA

devSquad

Posted 05 August 2014 - 21:23

As awesome as that would be, I don't have that kind of talent. I bet a Vinyl cutout would be badass... 

lol same here. Yeah buddy. Cutout of space :woot:

#5 suprNOVA

suprNOVA

devSquad

Posted 05 August 2014 - 21:26

you into music production or what?

#6 OP Scraggles

Scraggles

RootLeak

Posted 05 August 2014 - 21:34

you into music production or what?

Not really. I play guitar/bass but don't really record anything.

#7 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 06 August 2014 - 21:09

Moarrrrrr monitors :woot:

#8 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• Phone: Lumia 1520 running Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 06 August 2014 - 21:17

I'm looking to do more with my workstation to make it unique. Right now what makes it uniqe is that I built a backsplash that the monitor is mounted to. The backsplash sits off of the wall so I can route wires behind it leaving my desk 100% wire free. I want to do more though without cluttering it too much. I'm considering mounting a USB hub behind the monitor for thumb-drives and whatnot. Last night I built a stand for my tower that will be allow me to stash excess wiring UNDER the tower instead of just behind it like it is. It isn't painted yet so I'll probably have that posted up by the end of the week. 

What creative ideas do you have for me?

Here is how it looks currently

post-35193-0-81451200-1406729820.jpg

I'd probably put up lots of pictures of family, friends, my gf (if I had one . . .), shots from my trip to ComicCon, that sort of thing.

#9 OP Scraggles

Scraggles

RootLeak

Posted 06 August 2014 - 21:18

Moarrrrrr monitors :woot:

I had 3x17" about 12 years ago, moved up to 2x24", and then recently moved up to to the 1x27". I moved away from Multiple monitors for a reason. It'll sound crazy, but I developed ADHD, and I believe having multiple monitors caused it. There was just too much stimuli around me at once. I would Open a tab to google something, while having a webpage open on the 2nd, and on the 3rd monitor I would be playing a game. Half an hour would go by and I'd look at the original page and thing... 'WTF? When did I google "Cat Videos?"'

In all honesty I have no desire for MORE monitors anymore. 1 27" monitor blows 2 24" monitors out of the water for me.

#10 SledgeNZ

SledgeNZ

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:44

I had 3x17" about 12 years ago, moved up to 2x24", and then recently moved up to to the 1x27". I moved away from Multiple monitors for a reason. It'll sound crazy, but I developed ADHD, and I believe having multiple monitors caused it. There was just too much stimuli around me at once. I would Open a tab to google something, while having a webpage open on the 2nd, and on the 3rd monitor I would be playing a game. Half an hour would go by and I'd look at the original page and thing... 'WTF? When did I google "Cat Videos?"'

In all honesty I have no desire for MORE monitors anymore. 1 27" monitor blows 2 24" monitors out of the water for me.

You didn't really 'develop' ADHD though, it was always there, this probably just brought it to your 'attention'.

#11 +FiB3R

FiB3R

"the sun is definitely rising on a new dawn!"

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 07 August 2014 - 13:08

I think it would look good of you got a sheet of tinted perspex (what ever colour you want) to cover the back splash, either clear or frosted.

It could help cover those mounting screws, and add and extra sense of quality.

You could also edge light it...

2mm_clear_cast_acrylic_sheets.jpg

Or go nuts and have it engraved...

illuminated%20glass%20clock%20small.jpg

:woot:

#12 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 09 August 2014 - 00:51

Hello,

You might want to add some wire management to the back of the desk to get the cables off the floor.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky