MS talks about Windows Phone 8.1 U1 and HTC devices.

Yesterday, the Preview for Developers program began pushing out Update 1 for Windows Phone 8.1 users. The OS refresh brings Live Folders and numerous other improvements that we are detailing in more in-depth articles.

Unfortunately, owners of the HTC 8X and HTC 8S are waiting on the sidelines as their device is currently not eligible. Citing Microsoft Support Forums it appeared to be related to outdated firmware. Microsoft, who have now released an official statement to us, is clarifying that situation a bit.

A Microsoft spokesperson gave Windows Phone Central this statement:

"We have paused delivery of Windows Phone 8.1 Update to customers with the HTC 8X and HTC 8S who are using the Preview for Developers. Microsoft and HTC have identified an issue and are actively working to fix it, and will resume delivery of the update once a fix is in place."

It is not known if the particular problem is related to the current firmware, or something unique with this OS update. Microsoft notes that they are working to resolve the issue with HTC, and presumably, the next update for the Preview for Developers program is set to address this problem. Typically, Microsoft pushes out new 'Previews' every couple of weeks.

Note, this issue with HTC phones is different from the 8018830f error, which is also being worked on.

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-statement-windows-phone-81-update-preview-htc-8x

More waiting for us but at least they know it's a problem and are fixing it instead of this being a case of HTC just not doing anything.

Also sounds like the same, or similar issue found with the Cyan update which was also paused for Lumia owners.  Good thing they've got these previews going full steam now and can identify these problems and fix them before they roll out to the general public.

It changes things when you actually know the reason, now that we know it's a bug and they're working on the fix it's easier to wait it out compared to not knowing anything and thinking that maybe HTC was/is giving us the shaft again.  :P

HTC needs to push a firmware update for the 8X to make it compatible with 8.1 - I think. I moved to the 930 anyway so HTC can go and beeeep

Lucky you, my next phone will probably, almost for sure at this point, be a Lumia but I'm not looking to spend on a new phone just yet.  I'll be sticking with this 8X for a bit longer, maybe into 2015 and whatever WP9 brings.  From what I hear though it seems the 8X will get this but now some say the 8S might not get it at all and only go up to 8.1 due to some lack in it's hardware.  Only time will tell what happens though, for now HTC owners will just have to wait longer, we're in the same boat as those still waiting for Cyan I'd say.