[Vista SP2] WMP 11 Cannot Play DVDs

Hello everybody,

Whenever I attempt to play DVDs with windows media player I get the following error:

Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings.

I have Vista SP 64-bit (clean install), the latest NVIDIA drivers,  and the latest K-lite codec pack installed. I even tried the latest Shark007 and CCCP codec packs without success.

It seems to me that it's MS blocking it on purpose. I'm wondering if there is some kind of registry setting that might enable DVD playback.

TIA

It seems to me that it's MS blocking it on purpose. I'm wondering if there is some kind of registry setting that might enable DVD playback.

/sigh

I'm surprised some people still use wmp to watch video and dvd. MPC-HC is hands down a better video player.

Better in terms of support and features, yes. However, for stuff that Windows natively supports, WMP is still the best in terms of performance and picture quality. VLC is noticeably worst at picture quality.

Don't install codec packs, that often makes it worse.

Any chance it's an RPC-1 drive? That won't work either.

Might try and see if Windows 7 works better with it - it has better codec support (amongst everything else). Definitely worth looking into. (Y)

You can try this trick.  Download and install Total Video Player and then use Media Player to play the VOB or the DVD... If the VOB file works, you can then uninstall it... and try to play VOB files on Media Player again after you finish uninstalling Total Video Player... I think at this point, you still can play VOB files or DVD on Windows Media Player.

Don't install codec packs, that often makes it worse.

Any chance it's an RPC-1 drive? That won't work either.

Might try and see if Windows 7 works better with it - it has better codec support (amongst everything else). Definitely worth looking into. (Y)

No, I don't think it's RPC-1. Also, the DVD I want to  play is region free, so I do't think that's an issue.

Do you have a second monitor attached?

No, just one.

Hello everybody,

Whenever I attempt to play DVDs with windows media player I get the following error:

Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings.

I have Vista SP 64-bit (clean install), the latest NVIDIA drivers,  and the latest K-lite codec pack installed. I even tried the latest Shark007 and CCCP codec packs without success.

TIA

Codec packs; among the worst things that could happen to windows. All they do is to mess up things.

WMP is capable of playing DVDs without them.

For formats that it cannot play, I suggest you go with MPC-HC.

As others pointed out, Windows Vista already had DVD codecs to begin with and installed codec packs have probably broke this setup. 

My advice would be to remove all the codec packs you have installed and installed VLC and MPC-HC for all your video playing needs.

As others pointed out, Windows Vista already had DVD codecs to begin with and installed codec packs have probably broke this setup. 

My advice would be to remove all the codec packs you have installed and installed VLC and MPC-HC for all your video playing needs.

No, I'm using Vista Basic edition, it doesn't have any DVD codecs. I used to be able to play DVDs under XP with just K-lite installed, why can't I do the same under Vista ?

With Windows Vista, 7, and 8 you require a DVD Decoding license in order to watch DVD's this is due to copyright complaints to microsoft about not requiring them. that is why you will see a lot of OEMs will include cyberlink and the like with computers, this is to allow for the playback of DVDs on the system. 

You can get around this by installing VLC or other similar applications as they have the Decoding built in however, they will not provide the ability to play them in Windows Media Player.

No, I'm using Vista Basic edition, it doesn't have any DVD codecs. I used to be able to play DVDs under XP with just K-lite installed, why can't I do the same under Vista ?

Oh, I see. Yeah, home basic lacks a DVD codec.

I think you could add DVD playback by installing FFDShow. It's a codec and not a pack, so it's cleaner. You might want to try it.

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

Still, I'd recommend MPC-HC. It's small, light and has a lot more features compared to WMP. It even has a portable version if you don't want to install it.

99174-what-YEAH-is-it-gif-Robin-Will-KMh

What relevance does this have to the topic? If you are not going to help the OP, why do you bother to reply?

Johnxxiii, as others have mentioned, you will need to use a third-party program, such as VLC Media Player, to play DVDs.

With Windows Vista, 7, and 8 you require a DVD Decoding license in order to watch DVD's this is due to copyright complaints to microsoft about not requiring them. that is why you will see a lot of OEMs will include cyberlink and the like with computers, this is to allow for the playback of DVDs on the system. 

You can get around this by installing VLC or other similar applications as they have the Decoding built in however, they will not provide the ability to play them in Windows Media Player.

Depends on the version of windows. Win 8.1 Pro with media center will play DVD's. Just tried one it plays it. And I'm pretty sure Win 7 Pro media player plays them too. Without a 3rd party program

However you may need a 3rd party program for bluray

What relevance does this have to the topic? If you are not going to help the OP, why do you bother to reply?

Johnxxiii, as others have mentioned, you will need to use a third-party program, such as VLC Media Player, to play DVDs.

It's a joke. The joke is relevant because the OP is running an obsolete operating system.

Did that really need pointing out to you?

Lighten up man, nobody is paying you to police the internet (or suck the fun out of it).

It's a joke. The joke is relevant because the OP is running an obsolete operating system.

Did that really need pointing out to you?

Lighten up man, nobody is paying you to police the internet (or suck the fun out of it).

I wouldn't consider Vista SP2 obsolete.

And yes, I know that it was a joke. That was my point. Jokes don't help the OP.

I wouldn't consider Vista SP2 obsolete.

Same, it's actually decent with the last service pack, never mind drivers caught up years ago, and it still has three years of life left in it too, hardly obsolete. Personally I'd still take 7 over Vista any day as in my opinion it's a lot better, but *shrug* people are free to use what they like. I chuckled at the image though.