The idea I have

As of now, it is just me, the one person, indeed. Mainly because I dont think I'll have enough resources anyway to go into huge production.

The main goal now is build one, for myself, and then maybe, just maybe go and see what people think about it, in their hands, trying it out for themselves. And either go on from there, or kill that idea entirely, and keep using it just for myself.

I know all this seems unnecessary, since you could get a Nokia 105 with one month standby for 20?, however, thats not the point. I also try to keep myself busy with some sort of project, learn new things, learn electronics, and how mobile connection systems work. I'm willing to spend resources on that, since I also learn tons in doing what I'd like to do.

Indiegogo or kickstarter?

Not entirely, no.

I mean, I can only tell from my own phone usage experience, but there are only few numbers I call regularly (less than 10, I suppose). I know them all from the top of my head in case my phone dies and I need to loan someone's. As of now, the other numbers are sure, in my phonebook, in my pocket, in my Nokia phone. However, I could see living my life having the other numbers stored somewhere else, physically, as I dont need them much.

Also thought you could add up to 9 speed dial numbers there.

Its all my own experience, can't speak for others regarding to this.

From my experience as well I only ring a few numbers:

Work - I know it

Home - I know it

Mum - I know it

Local takeaway - I know a couple of them

Girlfriend (of 20 years) - I don't know it.

Not having a screen would cause me problems.

most people don't remember numbers, most people like to have a readout being that they don't have the receiver to their ear when dialing to be able to hear the tones from the phone to understand that they have the right or wrong number.  The old phones were mostly 2 handed, one hand holding something the other actually dialing.  Your device looks one handed and could cause issues with one handed use without a screen.

I would say minimums, a way to dial, a way to store a few numbers, a digital screen.  You are competing with the basic free phones/prepaid phones at least have some features that people will go for like the lg cosmos or the samsung gusto3. 

I like the simple design, just put a small lcd in it, something like in the old startac 3000 would suffice or the startac timeport. 

The design turns complex as soon as I think of the screen idea and how it should be implemented, thats probably the main thing right not, why I'm against it

The design turns complex as soon as I think of the screen idea and how it should be implemented, thats probably the main thing right not, why I'm against it

So you have put a technological design limitation before usability.

Sorry, not being a naysayer, but if you're doing a course on this...

• Like 1

From my experience as well I only ring a few numbers:

Work - I know it

Home - I know it

Mum - I know it

Local takeaway - I know a couple of them

Girlfriend (of 20 years) - I don't know it.

Not having a screen would cause me problems.

+1 ever since cellphones I stopped memorizing numbers

So you have put a technological design limitation before usability.

Sorry, not being a naysayer, but if you're doing a course on this...

+1 as Well... the usability of caller id nowadays is a given.

We potentially call (or contact?) more people now than we did when big static home-phones were prevalent.

Out of interest, what would your handset do when someone sent a text to you?  What would it do if you were internationally roaming (where you pay for incoming calls) and someone called you?

You say that when battery is low, the backlights change colour.  Seeing as the idea behind this is long life, do you feel that having the keys illuminate when battery is low is a wise choice?

How do you key-lock the phone, so it doesn't pocket-dial?

I am providing you food for thought here, not being a dick by the way :)

• Like 1

The motofone F3 screen is said to be awful, was designed only to show numbers, so text looked like... yeah and texting on it was no better than no texting at all ;)

@+Nik L , Yes I understand, and I thank you for that, gives me something to think about. The texting, well I guess if people knew I had such a phone, they would know not to text me.

As for lock, havent thought quite yet, whether to put one more button on the side, or make some sort of combination (long press call button for example)

The battery indicator was meant to only work, when phone is on, when backlighting is working anyway. Also might make it beep if under 5%

And well, for the roaming, like I said, you can still see the incoming number, if you look at the keyboard, the sequence of number is being lit up one by one, with area code and such.

But guess its time going back to drawing board ;) Came up with one idea, seems a little bit extreme and space wasting, but we'll see what I'll come up with. Meanwhile, any other suggestion is welcome

The texting, well I guess if people knew I had such a phone, they would know not to text me.

Only an assumption, needs proving.

The battery indicator was meant to only work, when phone is on, when backlighting is working anyway. 

So a constant drain?

And well, for the roaming, like I said, you can still see the incoming number

Not always true.  A lot of roaming doesn't pass on the number.  How do you deal with an unknown number?

:)

When you send a text message to a landline, some companies have a service that read the text message out to you (at a charge)

One issue I see with the keyboard lighting up, is that it's great when you're expecting a call, but what if the phone is in your pocket, but the time you've taken it out you may have missed the first few key lights. You would need a way to counteract this.

Rather than LEDing up your keys, why not have a backlit e-ink display.  It would be responsive enough for scrolling through 10 or so contacts, to show the name of who is calling, etc?

The phone would probably need a few more buttons. Unless they are on the side.

14821564026_eac8762006_c.jpg

The motofone F3 screen is said to be awful, was designed only to show numbers, so text looked like... yeah and texting on it was no better than no texting at all ;)

@+Nik L , Yes I understand, and I thank you for that, gives me something to think about. The texting, well I guess if people knew I had such a phone, they would know not to text me.

As for lock, havent thought quite yet, whether to put one more button on the side, or make some sort of combination (long press call button for example)

The battery indicator was meant to only work, when phone is on, when backlighting is working anyway. Also might make it beep if under 5%

And well, for the roaming, like I said, you can still see the incoming number, if you look at the keyboard, the sequence of number is being lit up one by one, with area code and such.

But guess its time going back to drawing board ;) Came up with one idea, seems a little bit extreme and space wasting, but we'll see what I'll come up with. Meanwhile, any other suggestion is welcome

Receiving an international call, sometimes I get  001+504+99478230   example... imagine trying to decipher that by lighting up.

Yeah the F3 was awful, it just reminded me of it is all :D

When you send a text message to a landline, some companies have a service that read the text message out to you (at a charge)

One issue I see with the keyboard lighting up, is that it's great when you're expecting a call, but what if the phone is in your pocket, but the time you've taken it out you may have missed the first few key lights. You would need a way to counteract this.

It shows the number, in one speed, then stops for a second or two, repeats, until answered or dismissed.

Not a constant drain. It would work just as a regular feature phone keyboard

So a constant drain?

I guess by on kala-kas means (the equivalent of) being unlocked and actively being used?

I know you said that a screen would make it more difficult to make/design etc but it would solve a lot of issues that people are pointing out. You need to consider that pros and cons of not having a screen and the limitations you're setting. It could be that putting the extra effort to include the screen would save a lot of hassle further down the line.

It shows the number, in one speed, then stops for a second or two, repeats, until answered or dismissed.

Not a constant drain. It would work just as a regular feature phone keyboard

Very user unfriendly. If I catch it in the middle of it, I'd have to wait until it finishes and then starts again and wait for it to finish to decipher the number. It'd be much more simpler to just show it on a small screen.

See, all I am reading here is that the OP has a lot of assumptions.  I push a few questions, and am answered with more assumptions.

This is not how the industrial design process works.  Assumptions mean crap, you have to know what you are talking about or investigate it.  Saying it will show the number internationally - not valid, as sometimes you just get "No caller ID" or such.

Hopefully the challenges presented here can be used to drive the OP towards a more structured process :)

The phone would probably need a few more buttons. Unless they are on the side.

14821564026_eac8762006_c.jpg

The numbers keypad should be moved down  so the 0 key can be placed in between the call and hangup keys.

and the screen can be moved down a little bit.

@eddman , Well, I'm sure you could already guess by last few number who is calling you, if you know it. Its all matching patterns in middle, I dont think you need to wait until it starts over, end is probably the most important anyway.

@+Nik L, True, and thats the reason why I came here, because I know I can get some feedback from here. As for the unknown, well you cant see the number on a regular phone either, so it would just flash the keyboard, or all keys are lit up, not too much to worry about.

The main thing what I came here to look for is new ways to look at things, I for one, travel almost none, so I didnt even think about roaming problems and such, thats the sort of things I need to sort out. I got it, needs a screen, already started working on it, I know how to begin, not sure about the screen part itself, going to get hard.

@ shozilla , yep, going that way.

@ Eric , Not a bad one at all, however the cost is sure going to become an issue. You'd need two devices. Cost of BT, and pairing issues will surface also

The numbers keypad should be moved down  so the 0 key can be placed in between the call and hangup keys.

and the screen can be moved down a little bit.

Or to make the screen a little larger...

@eddman , Well, I'm sure you could already guess by last few number who is calling you, if you know it. Its all matching patterns in middle, I dont think you need to wait until it starts over, end is probably the most important anyway.

It's still user unfriendly. When there is a 10 euro nokia feature phone that has a display, contact manager, SMS capability, a flashlight and even a radio, your phone will have a hard time selling, unless it's even cheaper. Can it be cheaper than that?

Not sure I could compeed in the 20? nokia era (show me one for 10...), although we all know how the build quality is for these things, plasticky as they are. Yeah they last, you know throw them, but still, they make cracking sounds if pushed too hard, plastic flexy screen cover, also not a waterproof, as my goal would be.

Of course I wont be able to be in the same price range, I dont have factories here to produce in volume. (and thats not my goal)

Not sure I could compeed in the 20? nokia era (show me one for 10...), although we all know how the build quality is for these things, plasticky as they are. Yeah they last, you know throw them, but still, they make cracking sounds if pushed too hard, plastic flexy screen cover, also not a waterproof, as my goal would be.

Of course I wont be able to be in the same price range, I dont have factories here to produce in volume.

Guess you missed my comment in Page 2. Are you paying attention son? :D (joking)

Will people pay more for a quality phone that cannot even send an SMS? Maybe you should go for a high-quality, high price niche phone.