sony 1080p lawsuit

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 07 August 2014 - 14:19

I think I'm going to sue Sony because the game graphics for my old PS1 games don't look as good as the pre-rendered CG cut-scenes they put on the game cases...(sarcasm)

one game: syphon filter

#32 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 07 August 2014 - 15:14

GT5 is 1280x1080 and has been called 1080p without a lawsuit.

At least with The Order what you see of the game is simply full res, just like a movie with black bars is 1080p. But who knows maybe this guy will sue Sony not putting the viewing ratio on The Order box.

That would be perfect :laugh:  He would better represent the insanity of some online reacting to the whole resolution business. Maybe this will help calm down the arguments, illustrating how silly it gets.

#33 OP vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 07 August 2014 - 15:26

the box resolution argument will never fly, because theres no deception there, the output is 1080p period, whether the game is 1080p native or upscaled.

have said that, if the lawyers were smart, they would use the other instances of sony stating a certain performance for a game that didnt turn out to be true, instead of relying on the box details, like stating watchdogs is 1080p60fps when it was 900p30fps, or saying battlefield hardline beta is 1080p60fps when it turned out to be 900p and variable fps. it shows a pattern of deceit.

wanting $5 million is ridiculous on the surface, but like any lawsuit, you usually aim high because if it comes down to a settlement, you have way more negotiating room to get a higher return.

#34 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 07 August 2014 - 15:33

Should have bought Chillzone instead.

#35 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 07 August 2014 - 15:43

Sony misled consumers, that much is clear. Is a multi-million dollar lawsuit appropriate? I'm not sure but certainly it would send a message that publishers cannot deliberately deceive consumers, which I think would be a positive thing.

#36 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 07 August 2014 - 20:52

To be fair the game is 1080p in single player.

I don't see this case going anywhere.

That's what I was just thinking.  I haven't played it, I don't even own a PS4, but it's not uncommon for games to be "toned down" in multiplayer, especially in split screen mode, to help compensate for the extra workload of dealing with network latency and having to render everything twice (once for each player in splitscreen).  Play CoD in split screen on an XBox 360/PS3 and look at how washed out the textures get, let alone the resolution.  My question is who in the world got so bored that they paused it and started counting pixels, and then thought it was important enough for a lawsuit?

#37 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:07

Its actually not interlacing, from Guerilla

I am not an image processing expert but they are not rendering a 1920x1080 frame and that's where the lawsuit stems from. Sony/GG should have never claimed a "native 1080p" when they knew they are not true 1080p in one instance of the game.

Apart from that, their explanation sounds PR ######. Don't call it "Scaling" call it "temporal reprojection". Yeah sure - you are extrapolating pixels and not rendering them in both cases.

The lawsuit is stupid and pointless because the 1080p on the box will legally stand in the court but that doesn't mean Sony/GG didn't lie. They pandered to the resolution warriors and now it is biting them back.

That's what I was just thinking.  I haven't played it, I don't even own a PS4, but it's not uncommon for games to be "toned down" in multiplayer, especially in split screen mode, to help compensate for the extra workload of dealing with network latency and having to render everything twice (once for each player in splitscreen).  Play CoD in split screen on an XBox 360/PS3 and look at how washed out the textures get, let alone the resolution.  My question is who in the world got so bored that they paused it and started counting pixels, and then thought it was important enough for a lawsuit?

There is a whole bunch of people on this forum who are "concerned" about the pixel resolution. Have a look here. http://www.neowin.ne...ate-discussion/

#38 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 09 August 2014 - 23:29

Sony misled consumers, that much is clear. Is a multi-million dollar lawsuit appropriate? I'm not sure but certainly it would send a message that publishers cannot deliberately deceive consumers, which I think would be a positive thing.

It's the only way to get through to gigantic corporations these days. Had he wrote a letter of complaint he would either

A. Get ignored

B. Get a generic apology letter and a $10 PSN Voucher