27 replies to this topic

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,808 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:25

Jeremy Clarkson 'not racist' says BBC chief

The BBC's head of television, Danny Cohen, has said he does not believe Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson is racist.

In a letter to the Guardian, Cohen wrote: "It's no secret that there have been some significant issues on Top Gear in recent months.

"Whilst Jeremy and I disagree on the language some have recently found very offensive, I do not think he or anyone on the Top Gear team are racist."

Clarkson was given a final warning about his behaviour on the show in May.

It followed claims he used a racist word while reciting the nursery rhyme Eeny, Meeny, Miny Moe during filming of the BBC Two programme. Clarkson subsequently apologised.

Last week, Ofcom ruled Clarkson broke broadcasting rules during a Top Gear special in Burma, also known as Myanmar, when he used "an offensive racial term... which was not justified by context".

'Unique take'

Cohen recently implemented an internal review of the show, which he described in his letter as a "health check".

"The BBC has taken [the recent issues] seriously and has left no one associated with the programme under any illusion just how seriously," he wrote.

"I instigated a health check on Top Gear to ensure that there were no further issues."

The investigation, which has now been completed, is understood to have included interviews with co-presenters Richard Hammond and James May, and explored what the BBC expected of the show's stars.

Cohen added: "I want Top Gear to maintain its unique take on the world but more controversies of this nature would serve no one well."

He said he was "confident" the production team would ensure the show continued to be a "great success", adding the motoring show was "loved by millions of viewers around the world".

An earlier report in the Guardian claimed BBC director general Tony Hall saved Jeremy Clarkson from disciplinary action over the incident in May, overruling top executives including Cohen.

Source: BBC News

#2 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,771 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:30

Good.

The Daily Mail and the like need to stop their witch hunt. It's getting close to harassment now. You can't blame a presenter for a scripted show.

#3 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

#ForzaJules

• 16,795 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:56

Good.

The Daily Mail and the like need to stop their witch hunt. It's getting close to harassment now. You can't blame a presenter for a scripted show.

Have the Daily Mail really been doing a witch-hunt on this? I avoid them as much as I can, so I wouldn't know, but it'd seem ironic for them to do a witch-hunt on someone accused of racism when they're guilty of inciting racial hatred through some of their columnists and headline stories (most of which later on turn out to be false). Guess they hate the BBC more than they hate non-whites.

#4 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• 1,249 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:58

Good, if anything happened about this, the world needs evaluating.

#5 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,030 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:09

TBH, the BBC make too much money from Top Gear and they know damn well that without Clarkson, there IS no Top Gear...

Chances of him getting fired? Zero.  They'd be more likely to offload the producer or director than Jezza. He made that show what it is, and it will not survive him leaving.

#6 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

• 3,182 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:29

But certainly we will be seeing/hearing far fewer racist jokes on Top Gear hence forth. Top Gear is all about taking potshots on all ethnic groups of this world.

#7 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,230 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:40

You could actually hear him saying anything racist?

My hearing must be terrible, because I couldn't.

#8 Kriz

Kriz

Neowinian Senior

• 8,433 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 07 August 2014 - 17:09

The Daily Mail and the like need to stop their witch hunt. It's getting close to harassment now.

The Daily Mail actually have the audacity to comment on this?? Pot calling the kettle black comes to mind

#9 Hurmoth

Hurmoth

Neowinian Senior

• 21,082 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 17:21

The day Clarkson is fired or leaves Top Gear is probably the day I stop watching. The entire show is about being anti-PC and that's what makes the show so incredibly fun to watch.

There needs to be a giant unbunching of panties for those who watch this show and get offended. You should know going in that there is going to be something offensive said. That's like going to McDonald's for every meal and then suing McD for getting fat, or going to a haunted house and suing because you got scared. Boo freaking hoo.

#10 Kalint

Kalint

Neowinian Senior

• 1,895 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 17:26

I thought he was selling another book at the time.

#11 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,681 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 07 August 2014 - 17:29

Clarkson may or may not be racist but he certainly uses offensive jokes about race to create controversy. I can't watch Top Gear, as it's far too contrived and over-the-top. Clarkson himself is just a caricature, played up for television.

British television can do better.

#12 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• 760 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 17:41

I don't understand why so many people hate on Clarkson. If they're offended by his harmless banter then switch over to the other politically correct drivel on TV.

#13 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• 7,498 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 07 August 2014 - 17:50

Clarkson is an ####hole.

And that's why I love the show. That, and awesome cars.

#14 Zinomian

Zinomian

Neowinian

• 114 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 17:54

Clarkson may or may not be racist but he certainly uses offensive jokes about race to create controversy. I can't watch Top Gear, as it's far too contrived and over-the-top. Clarkson himself is just a caricature, played up for television.

British television can do better.

LOL.....what you said is precisely why I love the show.  I am tired of the PC-bull crap world we live in.  Grow a pair, and if you don't like the show, don't watch it. (not an attack on anyone specifically, but to anyone who has issues with this show, you DONT have to watch it).

#15 NinjaGinger

NinjaGinger

Neowinian

• 524 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 18:04

I'm getting really fed up of the PC thing. Its almost impossible to say something that doesn't offend someone.