Town in shock after boy's playground stabbing

wow... I'm not shocked but at the same time, taken back a bit...

Just met the kid on the playground, and within moments, he's stabbing the kid.

Was it so bad in his life (the 12yr old) that he had to take life, and cause pain that can cause magnitude of destruction for both families/friends...

After an horrendous act, he goes to a neighboring house, ask to use the phone calls the cops, tell them what he has done, and he's cool, calm, and collected... Am I missing something somewhere in there? Just sounds more like a Hollywood movie than real life.

A real life Michael Meyers. This kid sounds like a serial killer in training who should never get out of the system.

It sounds like an extreme example of adolescent conduct disorder, which can least to antisocial personality disorder as an adult. They often have no empathy, as in none, zero, zip. Some channel it to nonviolent ends, but others act out violent impulses just to see what it's like.

An interesting read would be 'The Sociopath Next Door' by Harvard psychologist Dr. Martha Stout. She puts its prevalence at 4% of the male population and about 1% for females.

When I was a kid of 10-12 we'd ride our bikes several miles from home with no worries, other than making it home in time for mom to ring the dinner bell (yes, we had one.) Our biggest fear was getting caught doing something stupid.

Our older kids, raised in the 80's, had a bit shorter leash, mainly because we no longer lived in a rural home, it was far suburban bordering on rural. Kids rode the neighborhood and surrounds with impunity, nothing ever happened.

Come time for our youngest who grew up in the 2000's we were nowhere near so casual - too many local incidents within a few klicks to allow it.

Hell, I grew up in the 90s (late 90s-2000 by the time I was 12) and I used to ride my bike (or even walk) a mile down the road to the local card shop with my friends all the time. Wasn't exactly a small area either (San Antonio, TX). We used to go out in the morning and stay out for 6-8 hours, before heading home or even talking to our parents, riding our bikes around town (didn't live in the heart of the city or anything) and just going all over the place really.

I think the major difference between then and now though is communication. When I was young we had phones and TV but internet was scarce (and dial-up). Now with most people having high-speed internet you hear horror stories like this so much more often.