No replies to this topic

#1 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,005 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 21:22

http://www.washingto...tid=HP_politics

Sen. John Walsh ends his campaign

Sen. John Walsh (D-Mont.) announced Thursday that he is ending his campaign for a full term in the U.S. Senate. The announcement came 15 days after a media report revealed that Walsh plagiarized substantial portions of a major paper at the U.S. Army War College.

“I am ending my campaign so that I can focus on fulfilling the responsibility entrusted to me as your U.S. senator,” Walsh said in a statement to supporters, according to the Billings Gazette. “You deserve someone who will always fight for Montana, and I will."

Walsh's decision means that Montana Democratic leaders will have to come together to pick a replacement nominee by Aug. 20.

The New York Times reported last month that nearly all of what Walsh recommends at the end of his paper, “The Case for Democracy as a Long Term National Strategy," comes from a Carnegie Endowment for International Peace document. Almost all the material was published verbatim without appropriate citations.

Republican Rep. Steve Daines was favored to win the seat in November, even before the plagiarism allegations surfaced.

Walsh was appointed to the Senate in February to replace Max Baucus who is now the U.S. Ambassador to China. Before coming to Congress, Walsh was the state's lieutenant governor.