• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 04 September 2014 - 22:22

i am using win8.1 with classic shell.

what are my best options if i want to customize it.  are there themes for such environment?

Go to Deviantart website and search for themes for Windows 8.1 and download any of the themes that you like. 

#62 Earthworm Jim

Earthworm Jim

Whoa, Nelly !

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 04 September 2014 - 22:24

Go to Deviantart website and search for themes for Windows 8.1 and download any of the themes that you like. 

will that interfere with classic shell.   i though win 8.1 themes worked for metro (sorry, modern) interface only..

i customized a look with all the possible classic shell options, but with skinning, i would like to keep it looking like modified win7... not like win8

#63 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 September 2014 - 22:28

will that interfere with classic shell.   i though win 8.1 themes worked for metro (sorry, modern) interface only..

i customized a look with all the possible classic shell options, but with skinning, i would like to keep it looking like modified win7... not like win8

No not the modern UI..   the themes can be used on taskbar and windows borders/titlebar...  including the windows features such as checkboxes, progress bar, etc.. 

my taskbar is black semitransparent...  which you can see thru.

themes can not be conflicted with your classic shell.

#64 Earthworm Jim

Earthworm Jim

Whoa, Nelly !

Posted 04 September 2014 - 22:31

my taskbar is black semitransparent...  which you can see thru.

so is mine...

but i am going to try this win8.1 themes on deviantart. 

if this does not work:

tumblr_inline_mgr10k3qVW1r0kvc4.gif

#65 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 September 2014 - 22:36

so is mine...

but i am going to try this win8.1 themes on deviantart. 

if this does not work:

tumblr_inline_mgr10k3qVW1r0kvc4.gif

LOL

Spoiler

It should work as long as you follow the instructions..  I have custom themes from that site... just look around on the site and see if you like any themes...

#66 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2014 - 13:13

Any luck on the themes?

#67 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 05 September 2014 - 13:25

I believe you can still use Rainmeter on Windows 8 and programs like start8. Plus while you can change the accent color and start screen color on Windows, I seem to recall that OSX won't even let you change the dock's color without an application. iOS won't let you customize icon sizes either.

On my PC at home I use Rainmeter for one clock / date widget on my desktop.  It's the only one I use anymore.  As far as customization goes, I used to be all into it, then I realized that in the end, the UI as it was really worked best.  I've stopped fiddling with my computer anyway like I used to.  

#68 Earthworm Jim

Earthworm Jim

Whoa, Nelly !

Posted 05 September 2014 - 13:28

Any luck on the themes?

nah.. decided not to try yet.

did you have to patch your pc (like before)?   visual styles 8?  start8?

also, link me to at least one theme that you find awesome. so i can see if it is worth it.   for some reason i am having troubles finding cool themes on deviantart

On my PC at home I use Rainmeter for one clock / date widget on my desktop.  It's the only one I use anymore.  As far as customization goes, I used to be all into it, then I realized that in the end, the UI as it was really worked best.  I've stopped fiddling with my computer anyway like I used to.  

rainlendar is still my fav...after all this years.

#69 TCA

TCA

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S3; Nexus 5

Posted 05 September 2014 - 18:58

I'm still not sure what caused Microsoft to ditch Watercolor for Luna. That theme was literally Fischer Price. :x

loved Water color!! The Olive and Silver wasn't bad on XP. I've actually stopped slowly customizing especially windows 8, I may just change the icons on TB and color, wallpaper that's about it...I don't even use foobar anymore. Also, I used to customize my phone but don't even do that anymore...Just wallpaper Nexus isn't even rooted...XP had some really great themes made, Windows 7 has some top notch stuff too...I'm 32 now and I really just don't care to do it much, I did one new screenshot with Blackmarket theme on desktop and that was it.